• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

I have a black lab shepherd mix adopted from SDC on 12/04/08. Shadow was dominent puppy and is now aggressive and getting worse by the day. He is possession aggressive, will growl and protect if you get too close to some toy or whatever, then give it to you half an hour later. He will charge and jump at you (found crossing arms and turning back works best) frequently. He has also started growling, snarlin and baring teeth. Could deal with this if it was once in a while, but it's more than once a day. Had a behaviorist over and after over an hour, he nipped her. Went to pet him this morning, he growled. Later, he leaned against my leg like he does when he wants to be petted, he jumped back, growled, snarled and bared teeth, moving forward as he did so. I don't know what to do with him. Any suggestions appreciated.

#2 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

I don't know what to do with him. Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi there,

Well we have an article pinned in the training section that deals with this very thing. Here is a link to it, give it a careful read and post back with any comments or further questions.

Alpha Boot Camp

Some basics for aggressive dogs would be:

1. Absolutely no furniture, including beds. Dogs let up to our level start to think just that, they are at our level.

2. No toys or bones or balls or anything left around. We give our dogs bones in their crates only.

3. Nothing is free. The dog must earn every little thing it gets. Make him sit and stay before being fed. Make him sit before going outside, same for getting back in. You want petting??? Do a trick. You are driving home the fact that you run the show and are his only access to resources.

#3 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

Thank you for the info. Will definitely use it.

Hi there,

Well we have an article pinned in the training section that deals with this very thing. Here is a link to it, give it a careful read and post back with any comments or further questions.

Alpha Boot Camp

Some basics for aggressive dogs would be:

1. Absolutely no furniture, including beds. Dogs let up to our level start to think just that, they are at our level.

2. No toys or bones or balls or anything left around. We give our dogs bones in their crates only.

3. Nothing is free. The dog must earn every little thing it gets. Make him sit and stay before being fed. Make him sit before going outside, same for getting back in. You want petting??? Do a trick. You are driving home the fact that you run the show and are his only access to resources.

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

Christine; What was your pups name when you got it from us. I need a little recall.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#5 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

Not sure he had a name. Mom was dropped off at a dog pound and had eight puppies. Pound called you. When you got there, two pups had died and third died on the way back to rescue. The other five were not doing well. Mom was given medication which was passed on to puppies. When they were well, she was taken off medication. Not sure medication. Posted here as Ceph.

Christine; What was your pups name when you got it from us. I need a little recall.

#6 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

Were those Jugg's pups? She had 5 if I remember right.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#7 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Yes, it's a Jugg pup. Should be no reason for the attitude. Juggs was the best of the best.

#8 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

Let's start at the top....Where does the dog sleep? Where does he eat? Does he walk on a leash?

#9 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

I am sorry you are having some problems, hopefully with the suggestion's given will bring some help.
If you haven't already done it, I would also suggest a health work-up to rule out any medical problems that may be causing some of the aggression, such as thyroid, liver problems, etc.
Please keep us posted.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#10 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

Sorry to be so late getting back to you but had some problems getting in here. He sleeps in a crate, eats Beneful dry food and goes for two walks a day on a leash. Behaviorist also has me taking him out on a leash to help prevent digging and barking. Pretty good day today. He only got aggresive twice and when told to sit, he did. So it stopped pretty quick. Hopefully, I won't have to keep him on a leash in yard much longer. But I am noticing he wants to be by me all the time. Hopefully, it's not separation anxiety but my last dog had that and it wasn't too hard to handle.

Let's start at the top....Where does the dog sleep? Where does he eat? Does he walk on a leash?

#11 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

I'm making an appointment for that tomorrow. Wanted to get behaviorist's report first. Came today. Not much in there that I wasn't expecting.

I am sorry you are having some problems, hopefully with the suggestion's given will bring some help.
If you haven't already done it, I would also suggest a health work-up to rule out any medical problems that may be causing some of the aggression, such as thyroid, liver problems, etc.
Please keep us posted.

#12 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Yes, he is one of Jugg's pups. I've assumed he's the alpha since he was the largest one of the two I saw.

Were those Jugg's pups? She had 5 if I remember right.

#13 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

He's a real sweetheart when he wants to be. Need to bring more of that out. Lots of fun, a real goofball.

Yes, it's a Jugg pup. Should be no reason for the attitude. Juggs was the best of the best.

#14 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:52 AM

Hi there, just another quick question, on your walks, do you let him walk in front of you or beside you? Good job on the corrections, he needs to know that behavior is not acceptable. How about some pictures of this tough guy?

#15 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:01 AM

He only got aggresive twice and when told to sit, he did. So it stopped pretty quick.

That sounds encouraging. :P

Have you had him in an obedience class? You may think he doesn't need it, because he minds most of the time. But the class, if taught correctly, is more for you than him. A good obedience class will teach you how to teach him. And will go along ways in establishing you as the Alpha leader. :glare:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#16 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

The more you can wear him out the better too... a tired dog finds it hard to gressive and posseive... LOL but seriously... use two balls if you have too... throw one, and when the gets that one, you can throw the second... if you still have a hard time getting them from him, shorten up the leash so he can't get to it and then step on it until you can bend over to pick it up...

while tug of war would be great that can easily turn into an agressive situation with him wanting to win and keep the rope...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#17 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

I agree with Bumpette's suggestion about getting him in obedience classes. Yes, it's true, those type of classes teach the usual sit, down, stay, come, etc., and you may not feel that addresses your problem, but him learning to listen to you and do as you ask, with distractions, etc., will carry over into his behavior at home. If you want to tell us what part of the state you live in, I'm sure there are members on this board who can recommend good places to take classes. Also, like jmnodwell says, get him outside and tire him out! A tired dog is a good dog. Hang in there. He is a puppy, and for many if not most of them, it's part of growing up to challenge you and see what they can get away with. Logan is 16 months and we're still working on his manners every day, but we are making progress.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#18 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

On walks, I shorten leash until he has to walk beside me. Wish I could send some pics but my camera blacks out when I hook it up to computer. May ask my daughter to try to send them and see what happens. She got her dobes from SCD and is on the web site as well.

Hi there, just another quick question, on your walks, do you let him walk in front of you or beside you? Good job on the corrections, he needs to know that behavior is not acceptable. How about some pictures of this tough guy?

#19 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

Started in obedience class but didn't click with instructor and most of the things she was teaching he already did. Maybe I do need to go to class for me more than for him. Will have to check into it.

That sounds encouraging. :P

Have you had him in an obedience class? You may think he doesn't need it, because he minds most of the time. But the class, if taught correctly, is more for you than him. A good obedience class will teach you how to teach him. And will go along ways in establishing you as the Alpha leader. :glare:

#20 chris295

chris295

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

I'm in the Dearborn area of Michigan so any recommendations for trainer would be welcome. Always try to tire him out. Because of barking and digging problems, he's not to go out in back without a leash. Makes it kind of hard for him to run around. He can be off leash when playing but when done back on leash or in house. I always try to tire him out before and after walks and in the afternoon. He's very social around other animals including the chipmunk that came right up to him (nose touching paw). When he bent his head to check this creature out, it ran and he jumped. Of course, this was not in his territory, he's very protective of it.

Again, I appreciate all the responses but for some reason have a hard time getting into this site. Try many times without success.

Shadow goes to the vet tomorrow for blood tests.

Hurt his back leg at end of July. Took him to vet and he was very aggressive to her when she tried to check him. Ended up with me holding front, assistant holding back and vet checking leg. When she got to knee, he started squirming. Got lucky - no surgery, just a strain.

I agree with Bumpette's suggestion about getting him in obedience classes. Yes, it's true, those type of classes teach the usual sit, down, stay, come, etc., and you may not feel that addresses your problem, but him learning to listen to you and do as you ask, with distractions, etc., will carry over into his behavior at home. If you want to tell us what part of the state you live in, I'm sure there are members on this board who can recommend good places to take classes. Also, like jmnodwell says, get him outside and tire him out! A tired dog is a good dog. Hang in there. He is a puppy, and for many if not most of them, it's part of growing up to challenge you and see what they can get away with. Logan is 16 months and we're still working on his manners every day, but we are making progress.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users