25 replies to this topic

#1 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

Happy New Year to All!
I am the lucky mom to Mercutio, a blue dobe Adra deftly choose for me in 2004!
Unfortunately, these past two months Mercutio, now close to 9yrs of age, seems lacking energy, stopping suddendly after few feet, not able to go for a walk (yet, until last June he would jog with me, walk for miles!). Just these past few days I noticed an aggravation of the symptoms, with stiffess in the hind legs, tendency to stop ans sit. This very morning he was walking, but suddendly stumbled as tthe anterior limbs gave way (it looked like he was falling on the folded (haired side on the ground) paws, so he almost collapsed. He kept walking, then stopped to rest for a long while, then could Thank God go back home. At home he rests all day, but hesitates to climb on my bed. Great appetite. Normal bowel function insofar.
I tried to get some video clips, but I cannot upload them here as too big...................
Thank you for your help/advice!

PS. One thing: he sometimes clamps his hips with his mouth, chewing them; always did (I was told it was for boredom, but now I am wondering)

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Eliza; Have you ever tried him on Glyco Flex? Whenever I see an uneven gait in a dog I put them on GlycoFlex. It does wonders in just a few weeks. Please give it a try for him. See if it makes it any easier to get around. Keep me updated PLEASE!

We had Hulk on it for over 2 years. It was arthritis in him. He was in bad shape and it all sounds like it was similar to your boy. They get arthritis in the knee joint and hips just like old people do. Take it from me..... it hurts like heck.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Have you had him to the vet? If these symptoms have been going on for two months and have gotten worse in the last few days, that would be the first thing I would do. Yes, it could be Wobbler's, it could be hip dysplasia, it could be arthritis, or it could be a half a dozen other things. I would want tests, a diagnosis, a prognosis, and options for treatment.

Mercutio sounds like he has been a wonderful friend and companion. Good luck to you and please let us know what you find out.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#4 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

We should mention Eliza is in Italy currently and does not have the same quality of vet care that we have here.

I will second the glyco-flex. It made a world of difference for my Bud. You can order it online through Amazon and have it shipped to you. You might also want to look for some type of harness to help you help him. What was that coat that Toot had Arda, with the handle on the top? Ruffwear I think.

Eliza if you send the videos to my email- doberpagegirl(at)yahoo(dot)com -I can shrink/post them.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#5 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Thank you to all.
Arda, Mercutio has been the best thing in my life! Loved by everybody, even my mom who HATED every dog!
As specified, we are in Italy now, and the 7 vets seen insofar did not display particular knowledge. I demanded blood tests, and heart ecography, which I was told they are normal. I now want them re-done again, and I am trying to locate a serious clinic.
I also purchased Condro-gen, glucosamine-cohindroitin pills, thinking it was arthitis. I put him on low-protein diet, adding yeast and yoghurt and crude olive oil.
Karen: I tried the flip-paw test, but it looks like he puts the paw right back as it was..........
I will send the clips to you, doberpagegirl, and try to snatch some clearer ones....
Again: thank you so much for your help.

#6 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

You are right, Sarah, Arda used a Ruffwear harness on Toot. They have a handle built into the back, so you can maneuver your dog. They are used primarily by search & rescue teams....but they work very well when you are trying to assist a Dobe that has Wobbler's.

Here is a link so you can see what one looks like:
http://www.ruffwear....2&category=1131

You can order them from a lot of different suppliers, just google Ruffwear Harness.
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#7 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Sarah, thanks for letting us know that Eliza and Mercutio live in Italy. Eliza, with the symptoms you are describing, and based on previously (how long ago?) having normal results from blood tests and an echocardiogram (you said ecography, is that the same thing?), I would want a full set of x-rays of his spine, all the way up to the neck, and hips.

I'm wondering why the low-protein diet? That's unnatural for dogs, unless there are specific medical reasons for doing so. Dogs are carnivores, their natural diet is mostly protein and fat.

If you do an Internet search for Wobbler's or CVI, you will see the symptoms described. Also, there must be Doberman breeders in Italy, right? What about getting in touch with some of them and asking them what vets they may be able to recommend that are familiar with the particular issues that Dobermans have.

I'm sending good wishes your way. I hope things will turn out well and you will find a way to make Mercutio more comfortable.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#8 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hi..
there are many different ways wobblers shows itself... his symptoms he is showing... not so sure... most of the time they act like they have no control over rear legs... xrays dont always show much as far as wobblers.. you need to see a veterinary neurologist to have him diagnosed. They almost always want to do an MRI or mylegram to check them out.. but can diagnose sometimes by exam.Try to find dobe breeders there or neuro vet is your best bet.
wishing you luck!!!
sharen

#9 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Here is the video:

SCD's Stone Soup

#10 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

And a second of him not wanting to move.

SCD's Stone Soup

#11 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Poor Mercutio! What I am seeing in the videos is a dog that is very, very uncomfortable, to say the least. I'm not a medical expert, so I wouldn't presume to judge whether he is in pain, having balance issues, feeling exhaused, or some combination.

The reason I suggested x-rays was based on experiences with two previous dogs.

A Dobe my husband had a long time ago was showing symptoms of losing control of his legs. He would go to jump up on the porch and end up slamming into the steps because his legs weren't getting the message to jump up. Long story short, he had spinal vertebrae that were fusing and affecting his spinal cord and the feeling in his legs.

Savanna, the dog in my signature, started showing symptoms of dragging a front foot as she trotted, and sometimes losing strength in her hind limbs or seeming to lose her balance. Long story short, an x-ray of her cervical spine showed not Wobbler's but two severely displaced vertebrae with a herniated disc in between them.

I did a simple Google search for "Doberman breeders Italy" and got several hits. That may be a way to get some leads on the kind of vet you are looking for.

#12 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm guessing on the spine. Either bridging or spurs. Please try the Glyco Flex. The other stuff doesn't work like Glyco does even if it says it's the same thing.

#13 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Could he maybe get some painkillers too Arda? At least until she is able to order glyco? Like rimadyl or medicam or something? Poor boy looks SO uncomfortable.

SCD's Stone Soup

#14 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Ouch! I think Merc is in a lot of painPosted Image . I don't like how he is holding his head low...it's like he's trying to avoid it and knows it's coming. Poor boy! Cheri and Sharen's idea of finding a good breeder in Italy and asking them what vet they use is a great idea. Ruby used to carry herself like this when her bad disc in her neck would slip. Exactly. She did not want to be touched either. She was treated with steroids, pain killers, muscle relaxers, and laser ultrasound sessions. Tango, my long gone male passed away from Wobbler's and he had no control over his back end...at all. He stumbled around like a drunk for about a year before he could no longer walk at all. He was a very poorly bred 128# oversized boy that I simply could not carry around. When he no longer had the muscle tone to poop, we helped him cross the bridge. Mercutio looks to me to have more of Ruby's damaged disc symptoms. He is definately in pain. The treatment allowed her to relax enough to let the disc eventually slip back to the correct position, thus alleviating her symptoms and pain. I hope this can be fixed :Praying:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#15 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Medicam! We have used a lot of it this year. I can't see but a dab of the video. Real dark. Right where the spine and the neck come together or further down in what would be the small of his back could be slipped. Karen is right..........pain meds to relax it so it could give him some relief.

#16 Judy Gould

Judy Gould

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

When Commanche had his neck and back issues my vet did accupuncture along with meds Glyco Flex and Rimadly when needed He is diffently in some sort of dicomfort.
A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME WITH OUT A DOBERMAN IN IT
JUDY & ALAN
NEYAA, MIIKA, and LENNY

Grieve not,
nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me
as if I were beside you.....
I loved you so --
'twas Heaven here with you."
ABBEY, CHIQUA, AND COMMANCHE

YOU ARE ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS

#17 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Thank you again.
1) low protein diet: was prescribed by one of the vet, as he said helps with inflammation (if this is arthitis);
2) yes, I am trying the breeders'contacts, one of the vet was theirs, two others given by a Dobermann Association here (but they do not have any true breed specific experience=I knew more!);
3) I will do the entire spine X-rays, as soon as I can!
At this point, I will buy the Glyco, and Rymadil if I can do it without prescription (how much should I give?).
I found a homeopathic vet today, I want to hear what he says, too.
Thank you again, I will keep you posted!

#18 eliza

eliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

UPDATE:
I finally got to see an internationally renowed vet (Giovanni Di Tosto). He had Mercutio for 2hrs 1/2. No Wobbler, but spondylitis. Treatment is conservative: Trocoxil, Benexol.
Now I am waiting for blood tests results (yes, I asked for new ones, again!) just in case.
Thank you so much for your support.
I know the days of running and competing are over for Mercutio, but this sweet boy deserves the best for his "old age".
I will keep you informed, and hopefully post great clips next time.
God Bless America.

#19 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Thank you for the update. :flower: I am really glad that you were able to find a Vet who was able to diagnose Mercutio. That had to be terribly frustrating, to not get any answers. Keep us posted on how he does on the meds, and give him a big hug from me. :wub:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#20 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the update, glad you found some answer's and hoping the meds help Mercutio feel better. Hoping for good bloodwork results too.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users