#1 gerty's mom

gerty's mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

11-12-17

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a blue dobe and alopecia???  I am giving her Melatonin, but she still

continues to loose fur.  Is there anything else I can try??

Gerty's mom

#2 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

I have never owned a blue dobe, but I have had 3 reds  --  two of whom had alopecia due to hypothyroidism.  A simple blood test is an inexpensive way to make a determination.  Treatment involves a daily dose of Soloxine.  I am not aware of holistic treatments -- which is not to say that they don't exist.  Just my humble opinion.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

No personal experience with it here, either, but I agree a thyroid test is a must-have, if you haven't already.  My black Dobe had started losing some hair (on her ears only) due to low thyroid.  An inexpensive thyroid supplement made a big difference, not only in her coat but in her overall health.

One thing I know is beneficial for the skin and coat, in general, for any color dog, is fish oil supplements.  I have used fish oil for a long time.  I'm not always diligent about doing it every day but at least a few times a week.  I use the liquid kind and get it either from Vitamin Shoppe (the human kind), or I have used Grizzly Salmon Oil for dogs, which comes in a convenient pump bottle.

There is the web page known as Storm's Regimen that has been around for a very long time.  I cannot get links to post here, so just do a Google search for "storm's regimen."  The page name will start with "seattle-attorney."  Like I said, it is older, and many of the products and brand-names that are mentioned are no longer around, but there is a lot of information there for anyone who has a Doberman with alopecia.  As always, use your common sense.  I would certainly not want to try everything mentioned there all at once, but it may give you some ideas, and you can do some further research.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users