• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:09 PM

Deputy fired after killing Lott’s dog

Richland sheriff says incident was last straw

By BERTRAM RANTIN

Staff Writer

A Richland County sheriff’s deputy shot and killed the pet German shepherd of Sheriff Leon Lott during a property check at Lott’s home Monday evening.

Deputy Ricky Sirois was fired after the incident, which the sheriff described as just one in a series in which the officer had used “poor judgment” involving a firearm.

“His services were terminated,” Lott said Thursday from the beach, where he was vacationing with his family.

Before leaving last week, Lott requested that his Chapin-area home be checked each day while he was away. The same service is available to all county residents. The sheriff said he had noted in his request that the animal, which was being cared for by a family friend, was in a gated area in the back yard and the deputy was aware of that.

The sheriff said when Sirois went to check the property, he went into the back fenced area. When the dog growled at him, he pulled his gun and fired.

Under departmental policy, an officer can use force when threatened with bodily harm. Deputies can shoot an animal in self-defense to prevent substantial harm to the deputy or anyone else.

But Lott noted the animal had posed no such threat inside the gate. He said the officer could not explain why he had gone inside.

“He knew the dog was back there,” Lott said. “He made the judgment of going back there. Our deputies know not to do that.”

Efforts by The State to reach Sirois were unsuccessful.

Sheriff’s Department spokesman Joseph Pellicci said no formal report about the incident had been filed, adding none is required when there is no criminal violation.

Sirois joined the Sheriff’s Department in 2001 and worked there until 2004. He left the force several months before returning in November.

The sheriff said Sirois’ termination was not just the result of this incident, adding the deputy had made other procedural errors in the past and had been warned each time. Lott said that three weeks ago, the officer reportedly fired at another dog, but missed.

“The deputy did not follow the proper procedures,” Lott said. He said he could not risk that kind of error in judgment, particularly when it came to a weapon.

“If he had done to anybody’s dog what he did to mine, the same thing would have happened,” Lott said.

The sheriff had had the dog, whose name is Rocky, for 10 years. It was a gift from his children.

“The dog didn’t do anything wrong. The dog did what he was supposed to do.”

Lott said his family was clearly upset by the incident.

“The phone call I received is the same one you dread getting from someone saying that one of your children had been shot,” said Lott, whose home remains on property check.

“It’s not the type of call you want to get from anybody. But it’s certainly not one you want to get about someone from your own department who takes away a member of the family because of poor judgment.”

Reach Rantin at (803) 771-8306 or brantin@thestate.com.

http://www.thestate....ws/11802466.htm

#2 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 11:19 AM

A$$hat. I hope this haunts him forever while trying to find a new job and he has to find a new profession.

Larry

#3 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:53 PM

A$$hat.  I hope this haunts him forever while trying to find a new job and he has to find a new profession.

Larry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am in agreement that the mentally ill should not be allowed to carry firearms, much less wear the uniform. I would say, "What was this guy thinking?" but I honestly don't believe he has that capacity.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users