40 replies to this topic

#21 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:59 PM

Could someone please explain what a silent auction is?

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#22 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:00 PM

I suppose it means that you don't know how much someone else has bid, hence the word "silent." :D

Cheryl
Smarty Pants

Edited by CAB, 23 September 2005 - 06:06 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#23 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:08 PM

Cheryl
Smarty Pants

HAHAHA!! :D

Are you serious? Is that what it means?

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#24 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:08 PM

HAHAHA!!  :D

Are you serious?  Is that what it means?

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think. :D Where's Lori when we need her? Probably busy making more stuff!

Edited by CAB, 23 September 2005 - 06:10 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#25 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:14 PM

Courtesy of the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary.

Main Entry: silent auction
Function: noun
: an auction in which sealed bids are submitted beforehand

Edited by CAB, 23 September 2005 - 06:18 PM.

-Arda Barber

#26 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

Lori - Your ears must have been ringing.

Edited by CAB, 23 September 2005 - 06:21 PM.

-Arda Barber

#27 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

Pretend that Lorie is a glass fish bowl...traditionally, how a silent auction works is everyone writes a bid in any amount (whatever you think will win you the item) on a piece of paper (in this instance, your bid will be e-mailed to Lorie rather than written on a piece of paper), and puts it into a glass fish bowl (in this case, you'll be e-mailing your bid to Lorie who is acting as the fish bowl). It's called a silent auction because the bids are not made publicly available...no one knows what anyone else has bid until the auction is over and the winning bid is decided. The winning bidder will be the one who wrote the highest bid amount on their piece of paper (or e-mailed to Lorie, in this case). :D
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#28 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Mandy and Cheryl! :D

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#29 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:15 PM

We have a bid! Yeah!!!!! :D

#30 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:21 AM

When the auctions are live but still silent, you can have a card in front of each item and people make increasingly higher bids that you can see but the name is withheld and you bid with a bidder #... this way you know if you've been outbid and can bid again...

another live version is you purchase tickets for the auction and then put your ticket(s) in the bag of the item you want. the item is "auctioned" to the winning ticket...

but anyway, there are many ways to hold them...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#31 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:48 AM

When the auctions are live but still silent, you can have a card in front of each item and people make increasingly higher bids that you can see but the name is withheld and you bid with a bidder #...  this way you know if you've been outbid and can bid again...

another live version is you purchase tickets for the auction and then put your ticket(s) in the bag of the item you want.  the item is "auctioned" to the winning ticket...

but anyway, there are many ways to hold them...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay that makes sense. The high bid now is 15.51. I will post it as it changes. Anyone can email me with bid and I will post everytime it is updated.
Lorie

#32 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:44 AM

Lorie, can you add a new topic to the Silent Auction threads??? Go to the main index and it's a separate topic area!!! Just click on New Topic and then you can post about just this silent auction piece... AND WE PROMISE TO KEEP ALL POST STRICTLY ABOUT THIS AUCTION PIECE... :D :D :D

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#33 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:12 AM

AND WE PROMISE TO KEEP ALL POST STRICTLY ABOUT THIS AUCTION PIECE...  :D  :D  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure Joni.

-Arda Barber

#34 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Mandy! :D

-Arda Barber

#35 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

:D
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#36 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:07 PM

HAHAHA
Cheryl, you crack me up!!! :D

#37 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

Hi All,
The auction ends tomorrow at noon. We have 2 bids. If you would like to bid better hurry :D . The total sale of the item will be going to SCDs.
Lorie :D

#38 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 08:31 AM

Another bid and a few hours to go! :D
Purse is currently at 20.01 and counting down.
For those of you coming tomorrow there will be more awesome Dobe items to try your luck on. I will post the winner after noon.
Lorie :D

#39 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:05 PM

For those of you coming tomorrow there will be more awesome Dobe items to try your luck on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are we having a raffle?

-Arda Barber

#40 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 01:20 PM

Are we having a raffle?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Cheryl,
Yes there is going to be a raffle. You can purchase as many chances as you want for the different items. 100% goes to SCD's
The winner of the purse is Indian Neighbor ( I don't think I have your name :D ) I will contact you with the details. Thanks to those who participated!!!
Lorie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users