35 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

Here is a little friendly competition and a chance to win your wonderful furkid(s) a great furkid prize basket!!!!! The best part of this little competition is that it is at absolutely NO COST to you! We would LOVE it if everyone who attends our furkid reunion would participate in this competition! Here are the rules:

1. Start NOW
2. Gather up as many Michigan returnable pop bottles or cans that you possibly can
3. Bring them with you on the day of the reunion
4. Let us know at the registration table that you have them

We will count them. The person that brings the most returnable cans / bottles to the reunion is the winner! Take home your wonderful prize for your furkid

See, it is relatively simple and painless on your part :thumbsup:

Feel free to get a little competitive here and post how many cans / bottles you have accumulated prior to the reunion! Let the competition begin!!! :rolleyes:
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#2 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:23 PM

no fair, no fair, no fair.............. :thumbsup:
Ohio ppl auto lose haha!

#3 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

:thumbsup: Ya wut a bout us from Ohio ......Don't you all know all dogs are from OHIO....Just look under their tail it says O for OHIO :rolleyes: :stuart:

no fair, no fair, no fair.............. :innocent:
Ohio ppl auto lose haha!

#4 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:57 PM

You folks from OH bring the chocolate. Whomever brings the most chocolate in pounds wins! :thumbsup: Oh wait, this is not a fundraiser. And Kathy has Arda on a diet so forget it.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#5 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:09 PM

This is going to be an ongoing fundraiser, but the reunion will be the kick-off to it. Here is a quote which Arda posted for the staff when this idea was presented to her.

You must have heard me sweat. It cost ME over $3500 to heat all this last winter. It sure would help. I have been saving change all year and have about $200 to drop into the kids account. And probably another $50 in cans at this point. I am worrying about winter.

Arda has 3 propane tanks to fill every year. There have been times when she went without food and heat so the dogs could be warm, fed and safe. With the price of fuel this year anything we can do to help lower Arda and SCD heating costs would give her that much more to save ,and feed a few more.

Thank You Twodognight for a easy fundraiser. I'll be more than happy to let Arda take the empties back. I'l drink'um and she can cash'um in.

#6 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

O.K. Dobe fanatics you have been challenged.
On reunion morning load up your vehicles with all those cans,
but please save room for your dobes.

All you beer drinkers think of the kids (as in fur kids) and drink more beer.
In my drinking days any excuse would do.

The other neat thing about this is I volunteered Kevin to help. :thumbsup:
Can you see him in the middle of a pile of about 5000 cans?
Talk about a good picture... :rolleyes:

PS: We are hoping to place a receptacle of some type at SCD to collect your
cans so that any time you are there you can donate.

#7 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:55 PM

Okay---
You challenged beer drinkers and diet pepsi drinkers.....in light of embarrasment and letting ppl know how much beer our friends and I and hubby drink *** burp*** how about if we take our cans in and donate the money? will that count???
Melissa K.

#8 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

Oh you want us to donate the cans......I am sitting here laughing......
I am bringing possibly 4 kids , us and beer/diet pepsi cans...lmao! yeah right!
Not in my mini-van...if we got pulled over..lol...........I'd be in trouble hahaha.
So----------advice? lol I won't have enough room if I bring cans, although that sounds fun, cuz I think we could win lol!!!
We have lots of parties :thumbsup:
Melissa K.

#9 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

Use an envelope or a can or any other container in which you would like - mark it as "SCD Can Refund" or something similar and everytime you return bottles between now and the reunion time place the money in there. Bring that with you. I'm sure that we are smart enough to do the simple math required to figure out how many cans / bottles you took back to have that much money :rolleyes: Well...as long as you get there early and we haven't been celebrating the festivities too much :innocent: Just kidding!

Just please, do this on the honor system.

Will this help? :thumbsup:
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

#10 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

works for me! I think this is a wonderful idea .......

#11 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:23 AM

I'm not sure if any of you have noticed jugs at local stores for different people with problems and charities - why not make a few - I can get plaastic containers with lids from work and decorate them - and place them in various places - I know of 3 places that will let me put them up for sure (Katie's Korner ice cream place, the party store by me and 7-11 for sure). I can also find a few other places that might be willing (friends that own businesses). Anyone interested pm me and I will try to have them all put together by the reunion. I'm gonna make a few and put them out now and see what I can get before the reunion! I can also have another friend put one up at Mazda and empty it every Friday and drop it off to me. I know that last 3 buckets we had at the party store collected close to 500.00 in a few short months!!! Whose up for that - and the challenge is on for the pop cans - I'm sending flyers out to everyone in our neighborhood and the one across the street for bottle!!! See you all there!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#12 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

Ok, if I have this correctly in my small mind. You only want the cans from TODAY until the reunion....not the ones we have saved over the last month or so?
Okay, I can do that. Start a new bag from here on out.
I just wanted to make sure I got this right.
Right?
Melissa K.

#13 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

pop can, pop bottle, beer can, beer bottle ...... that is what were asking for! Ask your friends, ask your neighbors, ask your co-workers. Pick them up from the road. Any and all

All we are asking is that if you use money rather than bringing in bottles it comes solely from bottle returns to make it fair to everyone involved. No cheating by slipping in some extra cash. Save the extra cash for auction items :thumbsup:

#14 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:37 AM

I have 2 garbage bags of cans/bottles already!! Tomorrow I am going to enlist the my son and his friends to go knocking for bottles. I am also going to make a bucket this weekend and I will post the pics. of it. Hopefully that will be a continual flow of $$ for SCD. If the first one goes well I am going to place a few more in my area.
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#15 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:35 AM

Thank you! And great idea on getting your kid involved asking the neighbors for their cans/bottles! You may end up winning the prize and it is going to be a good one :thumbsup:

#16 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

Oh you want us to donate the cans......I am sitting here laughing......
I am bringing possibly 4 kids , us and beer/diet pepsi cans...lmao! yeah right!
Not in my mini-van...if we got pulled over..lol...........I'd be in trouble hahaha.
So----------advice? lol I won't have enough room if I bring cans, although that sounds fun, cuz I think we could win lol!!!
We have lots of parties :thumbsup:
Melissa K.

4 kids, a couple of Dobes, and 10 garbage bags of beer cans - I can imagine the officer's reaction...although if he/she had kids and/or dogs it seems like they'd understand.... :rolleyes:

It was a great mental picture - thanks for the laugh!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#17 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:17 PM

YW, I am glad you had a laugh over it, as I did typing it and imagining it in my head.
I am going to take in the cans, and get a receipt of the pounds and money for the donation, much easier for me.
Next problem is--Keeping Tessa's nosey nose out of the food for 2 hours!!!! I am sure she would happily "guard" it for everyone :thumbsup:
Melissa K.

#18 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

I'm not sure if any of you have noticed jugs at local stores for different people with problems and charities - why not make a few - I can get plaastic containers with lids from work and decorate them - and place them in various places - I know of 3 places that will let me put them up for sure (Katie's Korner ice cream place, the party store by me and 7-11 for sure). I can also find a few other places that might be willing (friends that own businesses). Anyone interested pm me and I will try to have them all put together by the reunion. I'm gonna make a few and put them out now and see what I can get before the reunion! I can also have another friend put one up at Mazda and empty it every Friday and drop it off to me. I know that last 3 buckets we had at the party store collected close to 500.00 in a few short months!!! Whose up for that - and the challenge is on for the pop cans - I'm sending flyers out to everyone in our neighborhood and the one across the street for bottle!!! See you all there!

Great idea !
We have yellow, hard plastic doggie banks at many of the businesses, gas stations, restaraunts etc.
They're right by the check outs.
Every little bit o' change adds up.
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#19 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:07 AM

How is the can collection coming everyone?????? Inquiring minds would like to know :) :hug:

#20 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

How is the can collection coming everyone?????? Inquiring minds would like to know :) :hug:

Coming along and then today at work, one of my co-workers said she had tons of them to bring to me Friday, so will have to get those counted out. That was a nice surprise to get that news.
I won't be coming to the reunion, so will have to tally the amounts and send a check.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users