Photo

our new doberman is afraid of other dogs.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Hi we are new here and have a question that we would like guidance to. We rescued a 1 and a half year old dobe from our local shelter. We were told he was very agressive towards other dogs, we took him anyway. We have been trying to socialize him with my mother-in-laws papillon. We took them to a nearby park and tried to get them closer to each other. Whenever the papillon came within 6 feet of the doberman, the doberman would back up. any thing over 10 feet the doberman would start to growl at the papillon.

Does anybody have any advice on how to socialize a scaredy cat doberman?

Edited by TrishandNick, 23 March 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

How long ago did you adopt him? From where did you get him?
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

How long ago did you adopt him? From where did you get him?

we got him from the humane society here in town. We have had him since Friday.

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

Wait a minute! Back up and start over. Two weeks before you will take him off your property. You have a 2 weeks period before you are going to see the real dog. He has to get familiar with you and his home before you start socializing him in the outside world. He has to be scared to death. Keep all other dogs away from him till he is comfortable with you. Do you have a crate and are you using it. It isn't a prison, it's his safe place to go or to be put in to give him a feeling of safety. At least 2 weeks of him at home with you. No beds and no couches or chairs. No visitors. No other dogs. Keep us informed.

#5 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

Ok. Thank you very much. We will keep you informed.

We do have a crate. Should we put his food and water in it?

Edited by TrishandNick, 23 March 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#6 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

I always feed in the crate but it's because I have more than 12 in my home and I want to know they are getting the food I assigned to them. I would give him that privacy and let him know he is safe and fed there.

#7 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

He has to be scared to death. Some one owned him and either dumped him at the pound or on the street. Shelters reek of death and barking dogs and sometimes not too nice people coming in and out. Then you, a stranger, took him home and expects him to want to socialize when he doesn't know what's going to happen next. He is scared. I would be too. Make him safe, fed, and loved. The rest comes later.

#8 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

thank you again for the great advice and the fast reply. We appreciate your insight into this situation, and hope to chat in the future. I notice that your on staff at SCD. If we have any firther questions regarding him can we call you for advice?

#9 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

My advice is, take Arda's advice. She has seen it all. My boy was very nervous and scared when we got him. It was a few months before he started to feel safe and trust us. We don't know what these dogs might have been through. I don't blame my boy for being scared. He still doesn't like people who are drinking beer. Even people he normally loves. Good luck with your new boy. What is his name?

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#10 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

I'll get back to you as fast as possible. Post away. We have several pros on board here. I just feed the dogs. We will guide you along. Welcome aboard!

#11 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

My advice is, take Arda's advice. She has seen it all. My boy was very nervous and scared when we got him. It was a few months before he started to feel safe and trust us. We don't know what these dogs might have been through. I don't blame my boy for being scared. He still doesn't like people who are drinking beer. Even people he normally loves. Good luck with your new boy. What is his name?

His name is Diablo, and he seems to be a very sweet dog. We will see what he is like after a couple weeks.

#12 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

Thank you everybody for all the advice. So far Diablo has become really attached to me( Im Trish) He is a ladies man! lol But he seems realllly uncomfy around bigger men.
My sister-inlaw directed me to this site, she has recently lost her albino Dob and adopted another beautiful Dob. She told me that I will get great answers to any questions that we may have on here. I believe that she is correct, and I love that there are people that are this dedicated and love Dobbermans this much. When ever I tell people that I love Dobs i usually get negative feed back and alot of ignorant responses.
Thank you again, it is greatly appreciated!! Dogs and kids need more people tp protect and deffend them!

#13 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thank you everybody for all the advice. So far Diablo has become really attached to me( Im Trish) He is a ladies man! lol But he seems realllly uncomfy around bigger men.
My sister-inlaw directed me to this site, she has recently lost her albino Dob and adopted another beautiful Dob. She told me that I will get great answers to any questions that we may have on here. I believe that she is correct, and I love that there are people that are this dedicated and love Dobbermans this much. When ever I tell people that I love Dobs i usually get negative feed back and alot of ignorant responses.
Thank you again, it is greatly appreciated!! Dogs and kids need more people tp protect and deffend them!

Don't let Arda fool you. She IS SCD. I can really relate to the negative comments. My family's remark when I adopted my Nemo was, "Oh, no, not another dobe." To heck with them. My dogs are my real family, or should I say, my family of choice. Welcome to the board, and you know, 2 weeks is a minimum. Some dogs need more time, so just give your new baby the time he needs, and with some obedience classes, maybe and your love and patience he will become a valued member of your family.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#14 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

Welcome to the board, Trish. And congratulations on adopting Diablo. It sounds like everything is going to work out fine. Just remember to be patient with him and take things very slowly. Socialization skills with both people and dogs can take a loooong time for a dog whose previous life may have been less than pleasant. I adopted a Dobe almost a year ago, and while she always loved other dogs, she was very scared of people she didn't know at first. But when I look back and see the progress she has made, I am just amazed. Good luck to you and let us know how things are going.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#15 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hi Welcome to the board. You will get the best answers to any questions you may have. Is your sister- in-law Ginny? Tell her hi
Ella & Princess
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#16 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

yes, ginny is our sister in law.

#17 dcarl47312

dcarl47312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hi and welcome,tell Ginny hi from Don(the other Ices' dad)and all of us!! Thanks for rescueing Diablo,consider that he's just had his whole life completely turned upside down and he has no idea what's going on.He hasn't realized yet that he's lucky enough to have been adopted by you and it will take him a while to consider your family as his "pack". I personally consider anything Arda says as the voice of doberman wisdom personified!! 2 weeks minimum to start to calm down and I really think it can take 6 months or more for their personality to come out depending on their background.I'm sure Ginny can give you great help also.Good luck and have a great week!! Don (please keep us updated and pictures are loved here!)

Edited by dcarl47312, 24 March 2009 - 07:49 AM.

#18 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

Congratulations on your adoption of Diablo.
Was that his name when you got him?
I believe that both humans and dogs need to feel safe and loved to be fulfilled in life.
I also believe that Arda knows best. :)
Give him time to feel comfortable in his own space, with his new family. Most agression is caused by fear of the unknown,
and being unsure of how they are supposed to react. Once they feel safe, things kinda fall into place naturally.
Wishing you the best with your new boy.
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#19 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

My girl was scared when I got her too. She adopted me and has been my velcro dobe ever since. I would say 2 weeks minimum is great advice. Lots of nice helpful people here. Congrats and thanks for saving a beautiful dog breed!
Melissa K.

#20 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Thank you everybody. I will tell Ginny hello from all for sure!
Diablo's pound name was Bruno, my 4 year old was the first to ask if we could change it, and given that he didn't know Bruno he became Diablo..lol
I love Diablo, and so far he has been awesome with us. He loves attention and is stuck to me like glue! If I step outside he paces untill I come back in, he has also started peeing when im not around.
Could somebody please guide me on proper feeding? We feed him like the company recommends, 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 at dinner. BUT he always seems to be hungry. He does get treats throughout the day as well. Any recommendations? he has been eating Core and really loves it.
Thank's, Trish
Pictures will come soon. :)

** he stands 27.5 inches tall, and weighs 71lbs.

Edited by TrishandNick, 24 March 2009 - 02:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users