46 replies to this topic

#1 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:24 PM

Ron and Jan Marten along with their son came in from Ann Arbor today and adopted not one but two Dobes. Raji and Ivon were not yet listed on petfinders as we were all waiting to see how they would respond to being by themselves. These 2 along with 2 others are from the trip Arda and Kathye made to Clare Mi. They were sceduled to be put down just days later.
The sparkle in Raji's eyes as she was getting the Martens attention was awesome to see. Ivon on the other hand had already won the hearts of the entire Marten family. We wish them all the best, and look forward to updates and pictures.

Attached Files

#2 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

WOW! These dogs are beautiful! So glad to see that they will now have the life that all dogs deserve. Congratulations to the Marten family! Please keep us posted on how Raji and Ivon are doing.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#3 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

Congratulations!! Wow!! Two lucky - dogs!! :whistling:
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#4 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:20 PM

Don't they look happy? The last time I saw them they had yet to have a bath, and were a sad looking group. Hooray!!! Another wonderful ending to what could have been a very sad outcome, indeed.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#5 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

Hooray they get to stay together. Congrats on your new family you two. :whistling:

Edited by KellyB, 15 May 2005 - 07:59 PM.

Dakota and Myles's Mom

#6 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

The Marten's were looking for a dog that would do well with other dogs as they planned on getting a second dog in the future after adopting one today. Well, they got their second dog within minutes of the first :whistling: . These two dobes have been together for a long time and now they get to start their new lives together with a wonderful family that I'm sure will spoil them and help them make up for the neglect they previously suffered. Thank you Marten family for opening your heart and home to Raji and Ivan :stuart:
Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#7 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:37 AM

Posted Image

Two dogs at once going to their forever homes............That is the best news!
Congrats you two. You are going to have a great life!

Michelle & Rusty

#8 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

Enjoy your new babies!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#9 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:00 AM

The Marten's were looking for a dog that would do well with other dogs as they planned on getting a second dog in the future after adopting one today.  Well, they got their second dog within minutes of the first :D .  These two dobes have been together for a long time and now they get to start their new lives together with a wonderful family that I'm sure will spoil them and help them make up for the neglect they previously suffered.  Thank you Marten family for opening your heart and home to Raji and Ivan ;)
                                                                                        Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wonderful story! :whistling: They look so happy together I hope they provide us with some pictures and updates, I'm sure there will be some great stories to tell of them growing up in there new home. :stuart:

Larry

Edited by mihalik1413, 16 May 2005 - 09:01 AM.

#10 jmarten

jmarten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:57 AM

The Ivon and Raji Chronicles: the first 24 hours
Wow--what an exciting day for the Marten family (all 8 of us)

Ivon and Raji attended their very first soccer game "field trip" immediately upon arriving in Ann Arbor. Hunter scored one goal and stopped quite a few as he played goalie for the second half. 8-1 Victory for the Lions! The dogs stole some hearts and got lots of attention on the sidelines.

The second stop was PetSupply Plus for crates, beds, food and toys. Miss Raji snuck a couple of milk bones from one of the bins when she thought no one was looking.

They quickly got the once over at home as Queen Trooper decided these 2 are worthy subjects and highly entertaining as well. Mama Kitty and Baby Kitty are not quite as entertained and we expect them to be undercover for a time.

With the crates set up in our bedroom, complete with pads, soft blankies and toys, they settled in as true Martens.

:whistling: Ivon is proving to be a big pushover love muffin. Fortunately he is an easy going guy and doesn't mind bossy big sisters. He loves to wrestle with Raji and even got Trooper to play a little.

:stuart: Raji is a material girl. She managed to steal all sorts of "treasures" to hide in her crate--Ivon's bone, all of the tennis balls, a dirty sock, a finger splint and one of Ivon's collars. Since she is a sweetheart, she didn't mind that we had to return some of her treasures to their rightful owners.

Next time: pictures, our first vet visit, training runs with Jan, and more!

Edited by jmarten, 16 May 2005 - 09:59 AM.

#11 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:12 PM

Sounds like they are doing great! Good luck!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#12 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:11 PM

This is just wonderful, WONDERFUL to hear! I'm so glad things worked out for everyone!!
Congrats to Raji and Ivon for their new family!!! Congrats to everyone involved!! :whistling:

#13 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:22 PM

Wow what a great family , sounds like everyone is happy!! Wishing your family all the best! Kari P.S. Send some pictures we would love to see them!!!! :whistling:
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#14 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

I just love these kinds of stories. Makes the heart smile. Congratulations to all!!!!!

#15 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:03 PM

Great initial picture and thanks sharing your first day, we all love the stories! :P :) Can't wait for more stories and pictures, BTW the dogs look great with your family!

Larry

#16 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

Congratulation to Raji and Ivon on your new home. and welcome Marten family to our forum. It is a pre-requisite that you post pictures.

Posted Image

Ella

Edited by ella, 16 May 2005 - 05:13 PM.

Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#17 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:20 PM

Beautiful dogs-beautiful family. Congrats :)

#18 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:44 PM

This post made me particularly happy. No one deserves homes more than these two and the fact that they can go together makes me as happy as when Ebony and Flame got to be placed in the same home. I want to thank your family for opening your hearts to the two of them. What a great day all around!! :) Please keep us updated. This update was precious!!

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#19 jmarten

jmarten

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:17 AM

Part 2 of the Raji and Ivon Chronicles

Life at the Marten's has never been more exciting and exhausting!

It has been a little over a week since these 2 joined the family and we have had so many new adventures, like...

Running. This is what Jan loves to do so she hoped that at least one of the new babies would love it too. And much to her delight, both Raji and Ivon seem to be interested in learning. Ivon is low on stamina so his runs are very short and easy paced. Raji on the other hand is a little trotter and has progressed to 1.5 miles at an easy pace. Jan is no speed demon so this suits everyone just fine. Both are fantastic on the leash and very well-behaved--they sure make their mama proud!

Chewing. EEW this is not a happy subject. Miss Thing (aka Raji the chew monster) loves anything that is soft and fuzzy. She is also the little thief as you may recall so the Martens are always on the lookout for chewed up stuffed animals, rugs and blankets. Hunter's collection of stuffed friends have been in the family ER quite often for stitches and sewing back on of eyes and ears. The lambskin rug is history. Ah well. She is learning and we have provided acceptable alternatives so she has something to chew on. In the meantime, our floors are completely cleared of clutter--a first ever!

Couch Cuddling. This is great stuff. Every evening, you will find Raji and Ivon cuddled up with Dad on the couch. Ivon doesn't seem to understand personal space and regularly sits on Raji on the couch. She curls herself up REAL small and he uses her like a cushion. Fair is fair however and Hunter has been known to watch cartoons laying on the floor, using Ivon as a pillow.

Other assorted news.
We had to say goodbye to our beloved Trooper on Wednesday. She lived a good life and her body was not keeping up with her mind. Good dog Trooper--we love you. and Jan needs to move on the another subject so she doesn't cry...

Electric fencing. Ron decided this was the way to go so the kids would have a very large area to play and run. If the darn weather holds up, we should finally have it finished this weekend. Raji and Ivon are not fond of their tethers so we spend a lot of time walking and playing on the leashes.

Pictures. Jan FINALLY got the film to Meijer for developing. She had to take the Old Fashioned route since no one knows what happened to the battery charger for the digital camera. Watch for pictures tomorrow. Hopefully.

Raji, Ivon and the rest of the gang hope you enjoyed this edition of the Chronicles.

Time to get back to that thing called work... :)

#20 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:45 AM

This is all just awesome!! So thrilled for all of you & sounds like you are going to have many years of fun & an active lifesyle! I'm so sorry to hear about your Trooper. Letting go is never easy. I hope your new crew helps the healing. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users