58 replies to this topic

#21 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:44 PM

I'm sorry, everyone, I sound so bad in that last post. Don't get me wrong, Juliet IS a sweetheart. She just seems to be displaying EXTREME separation anxiety, which my last female (red, too, go figure) did, and I ended up spending a LOT of money on things that she would destroy...
I apologize for sounding so haste...
~Jenny~

#22 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

Jennymay,
A crate will save her from getting an a**-kicking and you a lot of anger. If you have one, please try using it. My latest female dobe is quite the escape artist too. The first time I crated her, she escaped, with no open door :D I hid and watched her one day, and sure enough, she literally squeezed through the frame and door. Now, if the door is open, and we're around, she'll go in there and nap. But God forbid the door closes; she will flip out and do anything to escape, which she will! I am afraid that she will attempt to escape and get herself strangled, so we no longer crate her. If the weather is nice enough, we just leave her and her sister in the garage with their bones, beds, and each other and they do just fine. I understand your anger, and you SHOULD be angry, but I'm sure Juliet didn't know that couch cost $700 :)

Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#23 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:14 PM

Karen,
No, I know it's not Juliets fault, but there are other "issues" at hand. I spoke with Arda about it tonight, and I honestly believe that Juliet needs some WELL deserved, one-on-one attention with someone, preferrably with no kids or other dogs. She's a fabulous dog, she's sleeping soundly right now, next to Brody, on his blanket, (they're sharing it at the moment) laying underneath the couches. They are as content as anything. SHe and Brody are hot and cold, which I know is to be expected the first few days...the only thing?? I have an 11 month old daughter crawling around, too, and when they're playing, they have a tendecy to turn VERY aggressively, VERY quickly (I literally have to break it up, it goes from playing, to actual fighting)...if that were to happen when my daughter is around, anything that COULD happen wouldn't be intentional, but I'm not going to put my little girl at risk. I've already cried tonight about it, we gave it a shot, and I SO hope someone takes in Juliet, (we've been calling her Julia, and she responds SO well to it!) because like I said, she's great. My main concern is with my daughter. She was scared of my step-daughter and friends, and that, sparked with fear/intimidation/the unknown (in defense of juliet), may not be good. Brody is feeling a little threatened, considering he's only been here with us for a little over 3 months, and Brody is my boy. I've bonded with him SO much, I don't want him to feel any insecurities, he's been through enough already... :D
I can be useful, though in telling Arda what I've found Juliet's personality to be. She IS a pleaser. Listens VERY well to basic commands, like sit, stay, lay down, no. Needs to be crated, that's an obvious now, but may be better off in a home with no kids, or an older child. She is such a lover....and needs SO much love. She just craves it. And she's been getting tons of it from us since she's been here. I feel SO badly, having to bring her back and not even being able to foster her, but I lent out my crate a year ago, it was never returned, I don't have the money right now to go out and buy one for a bit, so I have no other alternative. She is a sweetheart, though, and I hope she gets her forever home VERY quickly. She would do very well with a single woman, actually. She took to me, and listens to me fantastic. This little girl needs alot of attention, alot of love, and alot of time with someone. I'm not sure it would be fair to keep her here, in that regard, considering we have Brody, our daughter, (11 months) and 2 cats, and she wouldn't be able to have our undivided attention...OH...and she IS a cat chaser/nipper...She nipped at my one, and she(my cat) just swiped her, (claws in) to let her know she won't have it, but she keeps going after them. If situations were different, Juliet would be staying here, in a heartbeat, I can tell you that for sure. I feel horrible. I'm a sap, I know, but I DO, however, want the best for Juliet, too, not only myself or family. I hope everyone knows and realizes that I AM looking out for the best interest of ALL of us, Juliet included. This girl needs a forever home, but unfortunately, it can't be with us. I hope you all understand, and believe me, I was SO excited for her to come here with us, as Jane, Cheryl and others can attest to. I feel just terrible about it not working out. :)
~Jenny May~

#24 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:25 PM

Jen..

I know exactly how you feel. I brought home a male Dobe from Ohio, which Kevin
and Kathye were very nice to help me with, but it just didn't work out with my four
year old son and having the other dogs. It was just crazy! And I gave it close to two months of trying to make it work. But it didn't. I was really disappointed, but
I just had to do what was best for everyone involved -- my kids, the dogs, etc..

The Dobe ended up staying with my neighbor, who is a single guy with no other
pets. And it worked out great. When I'd go over to see him, he was like a completely different dog. He was much better living in a home with no kids and
being an only dog in the home.

It's hard, I know. So, I feel for ya!

But as far as the chewing of the couch... With her just coming home, she really
should have been crated until you learned more about her. I don't want to lecture
because I know this has got to be stressful and disappointing, but next time...get
a crate. :)

cookie

#25 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:40 PM

Cookie, thanks for understanding!!! It's a horrible feeling, eh?
As for the crate..we have a HUGE kitchen, that animals CAN NOT get into trouble in...and we have a door to the kitchen, that shuts with a handle. She OPENED the door. So...that's why a crate never came to mind....
I'm just hoping that someone will look at her post, and see her, and just want to give her a chance. She's an absolutely BEAUTIFUL animal. Her temperament, besides her quirks, which EVERY animal and person has, is great.
Wishing it could be different...
~Jen~
P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

#26 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:29 PM

I'm sure you feel bad about things not working out with Juliet. But, as much as we love our animal kids. our human kids do have to come first & 2 big dogs, no matter how sweet, clomping around a little one could be disaterous. You can't say you didn't try & as beautiful as she is she shouldn't have any trouble finding a wonderful home. I was considering her myself until I read that she chases your cats. I've got one cat-chaser, don't need two.

#27 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:34 PM

Well, what can I say other than you are there, are experiencing it, and are the best judge of what is best for you and your family.

I think that it's really hard for a family to take care of all of the day to day business as well as help a new dog get adjusted to a new environment and the people and pets in that environment. Maybe there is too much stimuli between the cats, the kids, Brody, the new house, the new found freedom ... She doesn't know the rules or the expectations yet.

To me it's like taking a toddler over to a neighbor's house for the first time and the child has no clue about the house rules. "Look birdie, pretty! <shake cage vigorously, drop on floor>, oh! hole in wall, finger fits!, GZZZZZZT!!!!, ohoh! baby took toy! <poke in eyes, smack on head with rattle>, why I in cage now? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!, oh! what's that? <crawl out over side, bite cat> Oh here comes mommy! MOM!!!" :) <pulled out by roots>

I know you were really excited to take Juliet home. I'm sorry that she didn't live up to your expectations because I know you really wanted to keep her. I feel for you Jen. I know it hurts but I think the realization of the amount of work that it might take has sunk in. I don't envy you your position. I can't tell you how sorry I am that it didn't work out. :D

*hug*

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#28 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:13 PM

You definately have to put your children's well being first; don't even take a chance if your instinct says NO. We have no idea what these animals experienced before they made their way to SCD. You are right about the good that came out of this experience though, that you've learned a lot about her that you can share with any potential adopters of Julia. We wouldn't want to find out the hard way about her reservations around kids, even cats. And when she does get adopted, we want it to be her forever home. I will do her profile with the info you've shared. Thank you for giving her a chance :)
Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#29 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:24 AM

Karen, if you need any more info on her, let me know. I will tell you everything, because, like I said, she IS wonderful. My husband spent a LONG time talking last night...I know Arda is busy, and I wanted to bring her back tonight, but I think I may just keep her here the week, get a crate, and be back Saturday morning, cause that's a 3 hour round trip, and I don't feel like doing it tonight, PLUS...Arda is so busy it's just crazy, and I feel guilty dropping this on her :)
Ok, ladies, I appreciate the feed back...
~Jen~

#30 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:30 AM

Jen

You have to do what is best for everyone. It doesn't sound like this was a snap decision on your part, and I am sure no one understands better than Arda how hard more than one dog can be!! I had to bring a dog back to her also, and she was super understanding about it and even let me take another one! I remember how terrible I felt and how I felt I had failed the dog. I was so guilty, but he just wasn't going to be able to work out with me. At the time I lived on a farm, and the dog had to be able to let anyone and everyone come and go on the property, and this guy was very protective. He was also VERY smart (incredible obedience/agility prospect) and to be honest probably just too much dog for me.

Hang in there. There is a perfect home for Juliet out there, and a perfect 2nd dog for you too!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#31 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:35 AM

Jen,

I'm so sorry this didn't work out - however, kudos to you for having the courage to share. Two dogs is a LOT. (We don't have kids ... so for us it's A LOT less than you have on your plate...)

I talked to my friends who all have 2 dogs before we started to consider a second and they made it sound VERY easy. (Which it probably was after a year or two ...) I found the first couple days very disheartening, but I didn't have the strength to post it here because I didn't want to seem as though I couldn't handle it.

Things are much better now, and in retrospect I probably should have asked more questions and just generally dumped so that I wasn't bottling the emotions.... This is the place to do it. People have been through the same thing as you have, and you will find support for your situation.

My sincere apologies that it didn't work out.

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#32 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry that it didn't work out for you with Juliet. but you have to think of your family first. I also had to take back a collie dog a long time ago. I felt so guilty for bringing it home in the first place. but it just didn't work out. I'm sure Juliet will find her forever home. Everything will work out for the best.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#33 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

I just phoned John to see how the little girl was doing today.
I guess Juliet has been fine, no anxiety, but then again, John's with her. She and Brody have had no incidents today, and she's staying away from the cats. I think she's more curious about everything and anything. This poor bugger...I'm not even going to think what she's gone through in her short little life, from her behaviour. She is such a pleaser/lover, though. She's got trust issues, that's for sure. She doesn't give it easy, which is understandable, but she's gaining some trust with John and I. I doubt she's had much human interaction, or atleast any POSITIVE human interaction.
~Jen~

#34 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

I'll keep you all posted, don't worry about that.

#35 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:57 PM

Jen - did Brody need to have a female pal? My boys don't fight (of course, Brutus doesn't fight my mom's Yorkie!!) but Lilly is a monster bully and picks on both of the boys.

The Yorkie story is funny. My mom had taken Brutus home with her and the Yorkie (Tinkerbelle, no less!) took his chew away from him. Mom said she could hear him whining, and then he came out and whined at her, so she followed him back out to the living room, where Tinker had both chews. He had gone to get mom to get his chew back for him. Pitiful. Tinker is about a third of the size of Brutus' head.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#36 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:18 PM

It's been suggested that if I DO decide to get another dobe, to get a female to go with Brody. You know, I had a REALLY bad experience with a red female dobe that I had a few years ago, ending up fostering her for a year and a half...she destroyed everything. I finally ended up finding a fantastic home for her, (which is where my CRATE is, oddly enough, never had it returned :)) and it left me with a real bad taste in my mouth about female dobes, I know it's stereotyping, but she was BAD...
Beej, my beloved, was great with ALL dogs, male or female. He actually preferred having a male as a playmate, he would get too aggressive with females. But, each dog is different.
~JennyMay~

#37 jastubbs

jastubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hi. New here as you can see. We just got our approval note today that we get to adopt and are very excited :) We're planning on going out on Saturday.

JennyMay - we have a large crate that you can borrow if you're anywhere close to us - we're in Livonia. We used to have a Blue Dobie who was huge so size should be fine. Just let me know.

We're interested in a female and would love to meet Juliet as well - saw her pictures online when we applied and she reminds us of ours :D

#38 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:34 PM

Hi. New here as you can see. We just got our approval note today that we get to adopt and are very excited :) We're planning on going out on Saturday.

JennyMay - we have a large crate that you can borrow if you're anywhere close to us - we're in Livonia. We used to have a Blue Dobie who was huge so size should be fine. Just let me know.

We're interested in a female and would love to meet Juliet as well - saw her pictures online when we applied and she reminds us of ours  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome!

Good luck choosing! :) They are all so beautiful. :D I ended up with three! :D Also, the board is a great resource for support, advice, information, laughs - this is a really nice group of people.

#39 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

OH mY GOD!! Are you serious???
I would be SO happy if you seriously considered Juliet...she's gorgeous!!!
You're going out on Saturday? She WILL be there, I promise, if you wanted to take a look at her. She's just had a bath this week, her collar was washed, and she's a beauty.
I know I'm jumping the gun, but you just made me SO happy by saying you'd like to meet Juliet...but be careful...she'll steal your heart like she stole mine... :D (And I know, you're just MEETING her, but I'm still excited, all the same :) )
We should be ok for the week, for the crate. I live in Windsor, Ontario, and instead of bogging Arda down with all of this, I'm just going to be bringing Juliet out there early Saturday morning, like originally planned.
I'm hoping to see you there!
~Jen~ :)

#40 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

OH mY GOD!! Are you serious???
I would be SO happy if you seriously considered Juliet...she's gorgeous!!!
You're going out on Saturday? She WILL be there, I promise, if you wanted to take a look at her. She's just had a bath this week, her collar was washed, and she's a beauty.
I know I'm jumping the gun, but you just made me SO happy by saying you'd like to meet Juliet...but be careful...she'll steal your heart like she stole mine... :D (And I know, you're just MEETING her, but I'm still excited, all the same :) )
We should be ok for the week, for the crate. I live in Windsor, Ontario, and instead of bogging Arda down with all of this, I'm just going to be bringing Juliet out there early Saturday morning, like originally planned.
I'm hoping to see you there!
~Jen~ :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users