• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 jastubbs

jastubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

Glad to have helped the angst. We dont' have any dogs - two cats but they're tough guys with claws so can take up for themselves if she's a nipper :) Do have a 4 year old but she's also quite the tomboy and we're all huge dog lovers. My husband and I both had dobies growing up and then the blue dobie when we lived in Georgia that the whole family loved to death. We can't wait to find the one that's right for us :D We're pretty laid back - no new furniture in our house til the kids are all bigger - so not too worried about the initial chewing either. My husband works from home so could give her lots of attention during the day too :)

Getting all excited to meet them all - know we'll want to adopt about five :D

#42 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

Hi. New here as you can see. We just got our approval note today that we get to adopt and are very excited :) We're planning on going out on Saturday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congratulations!! This is a wonderful group of people!!

Good luck choosing and try not to take too many home!! :D

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#43 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

Jen, don't beat yourself up. You gave it a shot. Besides, as they say, "Things happen for a reason." Lo and behold, the Stubbs family (Welcome, by the way) appears on the scene. So, this could be a very happy ending, indeed! No guilt necessary.

I had a female Dobe that ate the sofa, my car seat, ripped off moulding with her bare paws, dug bomb craters in the back yard. I guess we women are just a willful lot. No wonder men are occasionally known to shake their heads and throw their hands up :) This dog did, however, turn out to be a wonderful girl.

Seriously, sorry about your sofa. I can relate :D

Hope this all works out for you and Juliet - and the Stubbs :)

Sincerely,

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#44 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:24 PM

Welcome jastubbs. This is soo exciting--can't wait to see the ending!
:)

#45 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:05 AM

Just a quick update on lil' Juliet.
Her trust for people is building strong. Yesterday, she actually gave me a small kiss on the nose, which is a FIRST, and gave me one AGAIN this morning when we all woke up and opened our eyes...(Brody on my bed, Juliet on the dog bed next to mine, John on the couch.. :) )!! You give Brody the chance, he'll clean your face 4 times over with his tongue. Juliet is a little reserved in that way. She ALSO is letting me put my face to hers, while petting the sides of her face and rubbing her ears, and she EVEN let out a little "Oh this feels SO good..." moan.
I clipped her nails last night, and she didn't even BUDGE! She's starting to slow down when she eats, which is good, cause she WOLFS it down, and she is even allowing me to clean out her eyes when they need it, from them weeping. I used to have to clean out BJ's, AND I have to clean out Brody's, so it's nothing I'm not used to.
She's really starting to come out of her shell, in just a matter of days. I'm pretty excited for her to "show off" on Saturday, hopefully to her "forever" home and family!
Just thought I'd let you know how she's doing!
~Jen~
:D

#46 jastubbs

jastubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the welcomes. So excited to have found such a nice group of people. We're excited to go out Saturday and meet all the people and dobes that I've been reading about :D

Great to hear Juliet is warming up. Probably thrilled to be in a place where she feels secure and loved. Always amazed at the cruelty of people to helpless animals :)

#47 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, she's warming up, but we still can't keep her. She'll be a little bit more sociable in a "home" environment, though!
She really is a sweet dog...she's kinda paranoid about my daughter, though, who's only 11 months, and growled at her, so that's a BIG no-no....so, hopefully ( :) :D ) she'll be able to find her FOREVER FAMILY this weekend!!! She's so pretty...her skin is starting to REALLY shine, and her coat is getting softer every day...
Ciao!! GOtta go, it's the END of the working day, thank GOD!

#48 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:46 PM

Jenny May

Do you mean that you post at work. Isn't that frowned upon by your boss. HAHA
I do the same thing. Today I had to go to a ground breaking with the Mayor for three hours and it interrupted my posting. :)

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#49 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:01 PM

Jenny May

Do you mean that you post at work. Isn't that frowned upon by your boss.? HAHA
I do the same thing.? Today I had to go to a ground breaking with the Mayor for three hours and it interrupted my posting. :D

Ella

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh Ella, you poor thing. I'm glad I don't have internet access at my desk. I can just see it now. "Ummm, can you check my blood pressure for me?" "Yea...sure." "Just give me a sec would ya so that I can finish this post." On occasion, I'll sneak over to the computer lab but I try not to stay on too long. :) This site is addicting. Perhaps we need to start our own support group and call it SCD Anonymous. :)
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#50 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, she's warming up, but we still can't keep her.  She'll be a little bit more sociable in a "home" environment, though!
She really is a sweet dog...she's kinda paranoid about my daughter, though, who's only 11 months, and growled at her, so that's a BIG no-no....so, hopefully ( :) :D ) she'll be able to find her FOREVER FAMILY this weekend!!!  She's so pretty...her skin is starting to REALLY shine, and her coat is getting softer every day...
Ciao!!  GOtta go, it's the END of the working day, thank GOD!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jennymay,

I don't know if this will help any but...

I have a four year old son. When I first brought Sadie home, she growled at my son every time he walked in the room. Sadie was very uncomfortable when my
son was around her. This went on for the first two to three weeks. I just had to keep a constant eye on the two. And correct Sadie every time she growled or
snarled at him. A few times, Sadie got really nasty snarling and baring her teeth
at my son.

To help resolve the problem, I started having my son feed her in the morning, I
took just the two of them on walks, giving them a chance to get to know each other, etc... A long three weeks. It took a lot of consistant work. I had doubts
at times that it wouldn't work, but I was not going to give up on Sadie.

Today....
Sadie is perfect with him. She is so protective over my four year old that she won't
allow my older son to wrestle with him. She gets right in between the boys and guards my son. She checks on him at night while he's sleeping, etc...
She's a completely different dog from when she first come home. She's perfect
with my son. I trust her 100% with him, when in the beginning I wouldn't take my
eyes off of the two while they were in the same room, in fear of Sadie hurting my
son.

You've probably made up your mind in regards to Juliet, but I just thought I'd throw this out there for you to think about.

cookie

#51 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

I'm completely hooked ... so at recess & after school I check it. I'm just waiting for that call to the principal's office ...

Stef

P.S. I teach ... but we still get called in every now and again and believe me ... that sinking feeling in your gut never quite goes away! :)
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#52 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:54 PM

Today I had to go to a ground breaking with the Mayor for three hours and it interrupted my posting. :D

Ella

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHAHAHA!

This just says it all. I love this post!! :)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#53 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

Cookie..
My daughter is only 11 months old. I'm not willing to take the chance that a dog, who has already growled at her, and with her only being 11 months old and not knowing any better, may turn around and get more aggressive, and harm my child. My daughter doesn't know any better, she's going to crawl all over anything that moves, ESPECIALLY if it has a fur coat that reminds her of a stuffed animal.
Brody, on the other hand, is crazy about Aislyn. Won't let anything happen to her, and she can literally stand on his rib cage, and he won't even MOVE, knowing that if he does, she'll fall.
No, Juliet is wonderful, her coat is getting SO soft, her personality is a delight, but, hey, I DON'T know what her history is with small children, INFANTS, at that, and I'm not going to use my daughter as a guinea pig, you know?? I think your advice is great, and if she were older, I would definitely put use to it, but at this point, it's still too much an accident waiting to happen. I just can't do it.
But again, thanks for the advice, I'm sure in future I WILL use it, when my daughter is up and walking!
~Jen~

#54 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

HAHAHAHA!

This just says it all.  I love this post!!  :D

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL...Yeah, that was pretty good, Ella! :)

#55 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:20 PM

SCD Anonymous support group. I love that title. It's getting into my busy season. and I have to work almost 2 or 3 hours every day. This is going to be a real hard time for me . :)

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#56 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, the only problem with that, though, is that NONE of us are anonymous!!! HAHAHAHA :)

#57 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:06 AM

Cookie..
My daughter is only 11 months old.? I'm not willing to take the chance that a dog, who has already growled at her, and with her only being 11 months old and not knowing any better, may turn around and get more aggressive, and harm my child.? My daughter doesn't know any better, she's going to crawl all over anything that moves, ESPECIALLY if it has a fur coat that reminds her of a stuffed animal.
Brody, on the other hand, is crazy about Aislyn.? Won't let anything happen to her, and she can literally stand on his rib cage, and he won't even MOVE, knowing that if he does, she'll fall.
No, Juliet is wonderful, her coat is getting SO soft, her personality is a delight, but, hey, I DON'T know what her history is with small children, INFANTS, at that, and I'm not going to use my daughter as a guinea pig, you know?? I think your advice is great, and if she were older, I would definitely put use to it, but at this point, it's still too much an accident waiting to happen.? I just can't do it.
But again, thanks for the advice, I'm sure in future I WILL use it, when my daughter is up and walking!
~Jen~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyway....

I'm sure Juilet's perfect family will come looking for her soon enough. I wish her
all the best and you too, of course, Jennymay! :P

Hopefully, Jastubbs will fall in love with her this weekend! :P

cookie

#58 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 07:44 AM

Thanks, Cookie!!
It IS good advice, though! She's such a doll, Juliet, just can't risk it, you know?? Her fur is getting BEAUTIFULLY soft and shiny, though! I can't wait for everyone to see her, and hopefully, like you said, jastubbs will just fall head over heals for her!
~Jen~

#59 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:54 AM

I hope so, too. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users