49 replies to this topic

#21 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

Okay, you guys.  I've been worried sick about you all day.  It had to rain, on top of everything else.  Did you make it back OK?  No incidents?  I've had my fingers crossed so hard they're numb.
Linda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, what SHE said!

Jane
thought it was yesteday, duh :P

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#22 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

Well, while we're waiting for Arda and Kevin to let us know they've made it home safe and sound, I thought I'd share some of my trailering nightmare stories with you, which may explain why I'm such a stickler when it comes to loading up and heading out for parts unknown.

Trailering Nightmare No. 1: It was a beautiful fall morning - blue sky, sun shining, cool, crisp air. I was headed to St. Johns for the registered auction. I had a Morgan mare I wanted to sell.
I was heading north down M-15 just outside of Ortonville. There was another rig ahead of me, looked like a 2-horse, straight load.

As we're driving along, I thought I saw smoke, or something, coming from the rig ahead of me. I kept watching, and it was actually dust from the shoulder, as the trailer began gently weaving from side to side. Soon, the trailer was beginning to sway faster and, before I knew it, the truck with trailer attached was doing a 360, spinning like a top, in the middle of the road, until the trailer fell over.

I pulled over, as did everyone else behind me. We all rushed up to see what happened. The back trailer door was jammed. We finally got it loose, and opened it up. What a sight: one horse standing, one pinned under the center divider.

We backed out the one horse, and there were some strong men there by now, who somehow got the divider off the poor horse on the bottom of the trailer. We were able to finally get that horse on solid ground again, too.

The horse that was pinned had a puncture wound in its neck, the other had ripped part of its hoof off in the melee.

The driver called a friend, who came with another trailer. Amazingly, both horses loaded onto the new trailer, and off they went.

What caused this accident? The locking mechanism on the ball of the hitch failed, and the trailer popped off the hitch. It was being carried along ONLY by its safety chains!!!!!

Trailering Nighmare No. 2 - It was fall, again, and I had taken my stallion to Toronto for the Canadian Warmblood Horse Breeders Association annual inspections of stallions, mares and foals. The Germans come over each year to inspect the breeding stock and give their approval and ratings for each horse.

At that time, I only had an aluminum two-horse, straight load trailer. Atlas is a big boy. He was only 3 at that time, but about 16 hands. Warmbloods grow until they are 7 years old. He's now 17.2 hands, 9 feet from nose to base of tail. My new trailer is 7'2" on the inside just to accommodate him.

At any rate, this trailer also had a manger (bad, bad, bad configuration). I had taken the divider out of this smaller trailer, to make room for him.

At any rate, we went to the approvals. He was licensed to breed 20 mares, and off we went back to the United States. That day, I was driving into a headwind of about 50 miles per hour. It was not the most restful excursion I've ever been on.

I'm driving down the 402 headed for Sarnia, when I happened to look in my rear view mirror. This trailer had a front window. At that moment, I saw a piece of the window exit stage right, and all I could see was Atlas' nostrils, and a front hoof!!!!!

Well, I freaked out, as obviously he had jumped up in the manger (must have been getting kind of claustraphobic at that point). Do I stop? Do I keep going? Do I just keep heading toward the Border? I opted for the latter.

When I got to the Border, you have to check in on the Canadian side first. I parked the rig. By that time, Atlas had about as much fun as he could stand. I put the emergency brake on. The entire trailer was rocking from side to side.

The look on my face must have said it all, because when I entered the building and went up to the counter, someone actually came up to help me immediately. I got my paperwork stamped, went back outside. The trailer was still rocking.

Off I went over the bridge. The U. S. checkpoint is 7 miles in from the Border. I made it there, and had to wait while an elderly lady with her poodles spoke with the vet. By that time a semi load of pigs had parked next to my rig. Horses detest pigs. Well, you can imagine. By the time the vet went to look at Atlas, he opened the side door, looked in, and said, "Boy, you got your monies worth there!"

Off we went, headed for home. We made it, but I parked the trailer in the indoor arena, closed all the gates, and hoped for the best. I got him out, and by that time he had settled down. I put him in his paddock outside, and he galloped off. That ride took about 10 years off my life.

So, I'm still crossing my fingers for Arda and Kevin. Hope to hear from you guys, soon.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#23 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:31 PM

What a wild ride to Cinncy.

Day started with me getting up at 6a.m. to meet up with Arda and Becky along US23. They caught me at appox. 8:15 and I had them off to the races. C.B. going, and radar detector on, cruise set at 75mph. We were to be at the airport down there at 12 noon, we pulled in at 11:58. Pretty darn close. Trip down was pretty good, except the last 15 miles I had them lead as that way I didn't have to try and drive and read the directions. We got to one stoplight and Becky came back and told me we needed to make a left but it was well marked it was illegal, She said what should we do and I told her " Do you see any police?" That's all it took for us both to make the turn. That was our excitment down. On the way back was a different story. First I was following Pat Young who rescues dobes in Kentucky and Ohio for Arda. We came to a stoplight but the truck didn't want to stop and we were barely moving so after I get stopped just prior to making contact, I look in my side mirror to see Becky and Arda starting to slide up along side of me in the wrong lane. Got that straightened out and proceeded on. (Right before our near collisions I lost a case of dogfood) Arda didn't stop to pick it up.
Then as we are driving up I-275 all split up a motorist pulls up along side of me to let me know I am about to lose a whole pallet off the trailer. By the time I get pulled over Arda and Becky pass me by. I load that whole pallet of food into the truck bed (90 cases). Meet up with Pat, Arda, and Becky at a exit on I-75 somewhere south of Dayton to pick up a dobe Pat had for SCD, we ate at the Big Boy restraunt there then hit the highway again. About 30 miles up the road Becky blows a tire on the trailer. We decide we can't hurt it anymore and there is a exit 1 mile up, so we creep along the berm. I go ahead only to find out the nearest tire shop is 1.5 miles away. Okay let's drive there. We find this place but they are slugs and direct us to another place called Grismer Auto Service Center. The guys at this place went beyond what they should have to get us back on the road, If you ever see one of there shops in Ohio, and need auto work, please give them the buisness. Hit the road again and completed our journey. Everyone made it back safe, the dogs are gonna eat good, and I'm never doing this again!!!!!!

Lots of rain both ways.
1st pic is becy's trailer
2nd pic is my trailer
3td pic is Arda waving bye
4th pic showing the 2nd or 3td tractor trailer truck was now empty. (another was on it's way)
5th pic is a pic while cruising up I-75
6th pic is another like pic 5
7th is a pic of Arda's brothers van and trailer loaded ready to go.

Attached Files

#24 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:41 PM

oh good, you posted and you all are okay. I just got done reading Linda's hair raising stories, was going to add one or two of my own when your post popped up.

Glad you made it safe and sound!!!! I don't blame you for never wanting to do it again. But as long as I have you here, I was wondering if you could bring a trailer out to the house because I have something for Arda that needs another man and a trailer. heh ... and I'm not kidding.

Jane
:P

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#25 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:45 PM

WOW! Thats a lot of food!! I am so glad that all of you made it back safely! Thank you for updating us. :P

#26 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

Jane,
When and where? If you want you can call me tomorrow anywhere between
8a.m. - 9 p.m. 517-436-6202 or pm me
Kevin

#27 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

Jane,
When and where? If you want you can call me tomorrow anywhere between
8a.m. - 9 p.m.  517-436-6202  or pm me
Kevin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll give you a call tomorrow, Kevin. Thanks!

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#28 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:49 AM

WOW! WOW WOW!!!!!! :P

So glad you all made it back safely! ANd I bet the kids out at SCD are going to love you guys even more!

WOW! THAT IS ALOT OF FOOD! :P
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#29 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:02 AM

What do you mean, Kevin, "Never going to do that again". If it weren't for me, there would be no excitement for any of you. All I have to say is....We now know our limits. That was one wild ride. I had to be pried out of the van when we got home. And there was no way Kevin made it to work on time, No way. No way to get that rig in here till the ground drys up a bit. Becky dropped me at the side rode and the dog and I walked home. Big thanks to Dee for taking care of the kids while I was gone. Mega Thanks to Grismers. Thanks to Becky and Kevin for service above and beyond the call. And a GREAT BIG HUG and THANKS to GOD above. The old swamp lady
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#30 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:47 AM

What do you mean, Kevin, "Never going to do that again".  If it weren't for me, there would be no excitement for any of you.  All I have to say is....We now know our limits.  That was one wild ride. I had to be pried out of the van when we got home.  And there was no way Kevin made it to work on time,  No way. No way to get that rig in here till the ground drys up a bit.  Becky dropped me at the side rode and the dog and I walked home.  Big thanks to Dee for taking care of the kids while I was gone.  Mega Thanks to Grismers.  Thanks to Becky and Kevin for service above and beyond the call.  And a GREAT BIG HUG and THANKS to GOD above.  The old swamp lady

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you are back safe and sound (notice no mention of SANE!).

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#31 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:47 AM

I wish I knew how to do a tribute to someone, you know with all the bells and whistles like Sherri does, but I don't know how so I'll do it this way. My heart felt thanks to NOAH'S ARK RESCUE for including us in this great jesture of love for the animals. This was not for strickly Dobermanns. It was for all dogs of any kind and any size. A mass extention of what rescue is all about. Not to impress the world or to show off to any particular breed club or breed. It was about lending a hand to DOGS. The sole reason that we do not think or eat or sleep properly. Because we put the animals first. It was all about RESCUING DOGS. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. NOAH'S ARK, Thank you. Arda M Barber and the Second Chance Kids
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#32 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 11:26 AM

No way to get that rig in here till the ground drys up a bit.  Becky dropped me at the side rode and the dog and I walked home. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I guess this means we will be moving dog food on Saturday??? Get a chain started!!! :P

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#33 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

I'm just so glad that you all made it there and back safely. God was watching over you.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#34 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:12 PM

Here is a pic of how much a pallet of food looks like in the back of my truck. This was real fun unloading from the trailer into the bed along a very busy interstate, While it was downpouring rain.
The cans we got are the large ones.

Another thing we had the wrong info in the beginning on the weight.
12 cans per case
96 cases per pallet
1152 cans per pallet
22 OZ cans
25344 Oz. per pallet-- 1584 Lbs. Per pallet
1584 Lbs times 8 pallets 12,672 Lbs.
6.33 ton

My truck:
4752 Lbs = 2.376 Ton

Arda's ride:
7920 Lbs.= 3.96 Ton

Attached Files

#35 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:17 PM

All that food..........THAT IS AWESOME. I too am glad that you all made it back safe and sound after that adventure you had in picking it up.

Michelle

#36 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:20 PM

WOW, that must have been some scary ride.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#37 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:31 PM

WOW - that is a lot of food!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#38 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

Glad you made it there/back safe & sound :P
But OH-My, what a scary trip it must have been!! :D
It was wonderful of the Noah' Ark people to think of SCD :P
The Kids at the swamp will eat well for along while :P

#39 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

The Kids at the swamp will eat well for along while :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, you mean that's MORE than a day's worth of food??? :P :D

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#40 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

Thank you, Lord. I'm so happy to hear you made it safe and sound. It was a gargantuan effort by all of you, for the benefit of the dogs. They certainly will eat well - for quite some time :P
Hope you can get some rest now.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users