2 replies to this topic

#1 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

When a foster comes in I always put the toys and bones away so there are no problems. If they get a bone it is in their crate. Well, as we all know, my hubby isn't the smartest when it comes to these kinds of things. I came home to find all three dogs out and about chewing on rawhides in seperate places. One would get up and leave their bone and another one would come over and take it and they would switch every so often with no problems. Then Thor took one and sat in the hall with it - Magnum went to go by him and I heard grumbling from both - I then saw Thor get up and lunge at Magnum - to my surprise Magnum backed off and went about his way - well, Lilo wasn't having any of it and went to check out the noise ad Thor did the same to her - I really thought Lilo, being the alpha of the house, was going to put him in his place but she didn't. I went to take the bone away and Thor grumbled at me, grabbed it and ran into Jared's room. I then followed, shut the door and made Thor sit down. I went to take the bone away again and he started again, I took it anyways and raised my voice to let him know it was unacceptable to do that - he backed away and acted scared - I then called him over and pet him, and let him chew on the bone while I was holding it. I gave it back and after a few minutes took it away again - but he grumbled and tried to bite my hand - which I am not going to let him do - he backed off again with my voice but I know he would bite someone else with no problem and he even may bite me but I'm sure he gets that I run the show. Is this something I can break him of if I keep taking it and giving it back? He isn't food aggressive at all - just with the bone. None of my furkids have been aggressive over their food or bones so this is new to me. I am sure that he has been hit in the past - just by how he reacted when I raised my voice and backed off - he ducked as if he were waiting for the hand to come flying - that is not my style - I snap my fingers to Magnum and Lilo and they jump or stop whatever it is they are doing if it is a no-no in the house - or use my voice but never hit. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to break Thor of his aggression - I don't want to see someone get bit over a bone because they don't know - for now I have taken the bones away and are using them for crate time only - and have stressed to the hubby that he must follow this. Thanks
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#2 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

When we adopted Gunner, he was very food and bone aggressive, something I've never had a problem with with any dog I've ever had. I couldn't even touch Gunner's hindend without him snapping at me. So I set about the task of ridding him of this behavior, and pronto!

Recondition the way Thor thinks by retraining his mind to believe that when he gives up a bone, it isn't that he's losing his bone, a very valuable prize to him, he's trading it for something even better than a bone.

Start out by getting him used to the idea that when you say his name, he gets a treat. The cool thing about this exercise is that it forms the basis for obedience work, and works much the way clicker training does. His name becomes a trigger for a desired response, a follow up word tells him he's done what you ask and then the paycheck comes with a tasty treat. Don't use any bones at this point in time, you just want to condition him to respond to his name by looking up at you. Find a treat that he absolutely will do anything for (my dogs work really well for small bits of hotdogs), say his name and then the very moment he looks up at you, tell him "GOOD!" or "YES!" in a happy voice and immediately reward him with the treat. Release him, then start all over, continuing this exercise until he responds to his name 100% of the time by giving you his full attention.

Once he knows he'll be rewarded for responding to his name, introduce the bone (or rawhide) by letting him chew on it in your hand (since he's less aggressive when you offer it this way). Say his name, and as soon as he releases the bone to look up at you, say "GOOD!" and then "trade" him for a piece of hot dog or steak or whatever you choose to use. Get him to respond in this manner 100% consistently.

Once he's got that down pat, offer him the bone while you're sitting next to him, let him gnaw on it, then say his name and tell him "GOOD!" and reward with a treat as soon as he gives up the bone and looks at you. Make sure you're using a treat that provides a bigger "paycheck" than the bone. Get him to respond to you like this 100% of the time.

Once he's willingly giving up his bone to look at you, continue the same exercise, only pick-up the bone after he's looked up at you and you're treating him for a proper response. Have him sit or do some other command in order to get the bone back and then start all over. Continue with this process until he's giving up the bone 100% of the time and you're able to take it without issue.

Gradually what you'll want to do is work up to being able to achieve a release of the bone from any distance, by approaching him and asking for a realease and then down the road, introducing distractions once he's consistently giving up the bone when you ask. You can add a command like "Give" or "Drop" when you ask him to give up the bone, too. You'll also want to be sure he's OK with you touching him while he's chewing a bone.

Don't expect improvement by leaps and bounds over night. Work with him for as long his tolerance allows without him becoming bored. This might be five minutes, it might be ten or fifteen, it just depends on him. Don't skip any steps and don't move to the next until he's 100% consistent with the one you're working on. If he reverts and begins to have issues, begin a step or two back until he's reliable again.

This is something that will have to be done with all the people in your household. Simply because he responds to you the correct way doesn't mean he'll respond to Jarrod or your husband the same. You also have to make sure to stay practised up on the things he'll be learning, making sure to test him on a regular basis. Eventually you'll be able to eliminate the treats all together and your praise will be reward enough for him...or a toss of his favorite toy, whatever makes him happy. :w00t:

Be consistent, insistent and persistent, but most of all, be patient. :sorcerer:

I've been able to work with Gunner to where he feels comfortable with me touching him while he's eating or chewing a bone, but I would not say he's 100% sound in that regard. I can take food out of his mouth, but I have to be sure to remain calm and not do it in a way that makes him feel threatened. I would never trust him with a stranger, however, and its something I always have to be aware of when handling him. But I know him pretty well, and I know what buttons set him off, so I'm always careful not to push them. He has come a looooong way, though. :whistling:

There's a book called "MINE!" by Jean Donaldson that you may want to look into as well. It's about resource guarding and how to overcome it through operant conditioning (which is the method I've described above). :LOL:

Good luck! :mellow:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#3 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Mandy! He is real good with his food - I can put my hands in it, in his mouth, move the bowl, touch his face and body and sit right beside him. He will let me sit beside him and pet him with the rawhide and he will give me attention when I call his name while he has the rawhide but as soon as he sees me reach for the bone he goes on guard. He does respond w/o treats for doing his tricks, like giving hugs,speak, sit, shake etc... and loves praise - his favorite is giving hugs because he knows he is getting one back. I will start with step one and have Jared and Chris do it also until Thor can see that we aren't taking it away for good, just for the moment and that he gets good things in return.
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users