263 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

For anyone that doesn't know me... My name is Peri. Here is the write up of me that was listed on Petfinders by the wonderful people at SCD. This is my story:
Attached File  cathy5.jpg   86.29KB   2 downloads

"They say every picture tells a story, but this case needs a voice behind it. By looking at Peri's pictures and hearing her story, we hope you will understand the selfish motives of backyard breeders, people who unscrupulously breed animals for greed and nothing more. Peri's mouth is so infected and full of rotten teeth from eating feed with fillers such as sawdust, that she has a difficult time eating anything. Her swayback is from being caged for so long and pumping out so many puppies with every heat cycle. When she came to us she was still bleeding vaginally and still producing milk from her last litter. I hate to think of where her babies are now. She has suffered a severe blow to the left side of her head and face that has left her with a healed skull fracture and a damaged eye. She had more parasites than I have ever seen on a single dog that was still alive. There are countless dogs that have a story such as this, but Peri's lucky day came when her owner dropped her in an outdoor pen in the middle of the night at our favorite Humane Society, too much of a coward to bring her during business hours. It is the end of a tortured life and a new beginning for this precious, scared, naive little soul. Maybe she couldn't produce anymore. Maybe her babies were born dead. Whatever the reason this demon chose to dump her, probably saved her life. Peri is about 3-4 yrs old, but her body is worn beyond that from malnutrition, lack of adequate exercise, and being pregnant with every heat cycle; about every 6-7 months. She is wary of everything outside of her crate and is just getting used to the feel of soft grass under her feet. She was very interested in a frog, but was even scared of that. It's hard for her to trust but I guarantee....the Dobermann in her will shine through and she WILL forget the past. One thing is already evident...she loves any attention she can get from her caregivers and showers us with gentle kisses. It's all she can do to say "thank you" and it's all we need to see to know that she is willing to overcome this and work with us to recover from her abuse. Peri has paid a high price to hopefully shine some light on the puppymill business. Don't ever buy a puppy from someone who isn't willing to show you the parents, the living conditions of the animals, and health and genetic disease testing that has been done on the animals being bred. Look into Peri's eyes and you'll see it's not worth it."

Sunday October 15, 2006

Wow! What a day today has been. It started out normal. I went outside at SCD then went back in and had my breakfast... that is when everything changed! Instead of life going as normal... I was taken out of my kennel and I got to go up to the house. Guess what I saw? Inside the house was these little feathered things that chirped. They were in a cage. I just stood and watched them. Then I ran around to the back of the cage to see if I could see them from there. I found them to be very fascinating! Here is a picture of me looking at them.
Attached File  3.JPG   42.35KB   2 downloads Attached File  8.JPG   33.28KB   2 downloads

After that I got to go for a car ride and it seemed like I was in the car for a long time. I was a good girl though and layed down. When the car finally stopped my new "mom" took me into a thing that she called a yard. She took my leash off of me and let me run around and play. I kept going back to my new mom because I wasn't too sure about just running around. After a little while of this, my new "dad" brought out my new fur brother and sister - Raz and Kona. I really liked being able to run with them too and they seemed to accept me right away.
Attached File  13.JPG   81.84KB   2 downloads

Then I got to go inside of another house! Wow.. this house thing is kind of neat. Inside I have a new crate to sleep in with a fluffy pillow. I also found a ball and a bone that I took for my very own inside my crate. My mom said that I could keep it in my crate as long as there aren't any "issues" created between my brother and sister and I. Here I am laying in my new crate. The door is even left open for me to come and go as I please!
Attached File  9.JPG   56.6KB   3 downloads Attached File  4.JPG   53.06KB   2 downloads

Then I got a bath! I DONT LIKE THEM AT ALL!!!! It is wet and Yucky! I did not want to get into the tub and I kept wanting to jump out. Mom said that I was dirty and made me stay in there. YUCK! Here I was thinking this place was pretty cool and then THIS happens to me.
Attached File  5.JPG   50.62KB   2 downloads Attached File  14.JPG   56.76KB   2 downloads
Attached File  18.JPG   55.67KB   2 downloads

I showed them though. After the bath I rubbed all over everything! The carpet, the walls, the floor, the furniture even RAZ! Yep, I went bonkers! They laughed at me though. Raz and Kona just watched me like I was crazy.
Attached File  10.JPG   63.71KB   2 downloads

All in all I guess that it's been a good day. I just met my human sister and she thinks I am beautiful. I have decided to give them another chance and as long as they don't put me back into the bath tomorrow.... I think they might be keepers. :whistling:

Edited by Melissa34, 16 October 2006 - 05:31 AM.

If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

Eat all you can, Peri. They are stewing puppies here at this house. Ghost
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

Congrats on your new addition. Hurray for Peri!!!!!
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#4 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

Oh My Gosh, that picture of the bath... :thumbsup:

Thank you for opening your heart and home to our sweet Peri, She is now a rags to riches girl!!! :ninja:

CONGRAT"S PERI< MELISSA<TOM<RAZ AND KONA!!!!! Hip, Hip, Hooray! :whistling:
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#5 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:19 PM

Yay Peri!!! Congrats Raz & Kona!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#6 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:53 PM

That's so awesome to hear a very deserving Peri has a great new family to show her what a family is actually supposed to be! Congrats. to all!

Scott
"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." - Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899

#7 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

What a wonderful way to end this day :thumbsup: Sitting down to read "Peri's diary" was the best part of it :whistling:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#8 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:27 PM

I should have put money on this. How wonderful for Peri....in the few moments I got to see her, I fell in love with her. She is such a doll. I'm so happy that she has a loving family to call her own.
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

#9 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:56 PM

This is such good news! CONGRATULATIONS Melissa and family! She's going to be in good company, that's for sure. :whistling:

Hey, make sure to bring her back to play with Hazel. She's going to really miss her, I bet.

I love a good happy ending. I also love the pics!!!

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#10 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:57 AM

I am so happy for Peri! She deserves a good home. I like the picture of her in the crate with her own toys. She looks very much at home.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#11 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:31 AM

Congratulations Melissa,Tom, Raz and Kona!!! I am so happy for you and for Peri. The photos are great. Keep them coming. I think you are going to need a bigger house soon if you start bursting at the seams with Doberkids. Peri looks so happy exept for the bath. What a special family you have there.
Lorie and family

#12 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:08 AM

Congrats Peri!!! We know you have a wonderful new home and will be loved forever!!!

Did you know, though, that if you just sit still while taking the bath, it goes quicker??? I couldn't convince Mackie of that either on Saturday but did try. LOL

shhh... I'll tell you a secret... your brother Raz was a clown in the bath...
Attached File  P2005_0723_0027.JPG   88.61KB   1 downloads

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#13 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:14 AM

Congratulations to Peri and your new family! :whistling: You're going to be one spoiled Dobergirl! :thumbsup: Can't wait to read more about your new life and of course see pictures!
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#14 aanderson

aanderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

Congratulations Peri, Melissa,Tom, Raz and Kona!

#15 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:08 AM

WOW!!! Makes my heart soar!

#16 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

Peri's story is one I read before we adopted Tessa. Her story made me cry and I have told several people about her and showed her to them via internet.
I am sooooooooo happy she has a home!!
Melissa

#17 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

Peri, Congrats on your
new home!!!! :whistling:
You will soon forget your past... Replaced w/ lots of loving good
memorys...
Daisy

#18 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:40 AM

What a great way to start a Monday. Congratulation to Peri on your new forever home.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#19 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:11 AM

Congratulations Peri on your new forever home! :whistling:
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#20 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:06 PM

October 16, 2006

Wow! I woke up this morning (5am I might add was what time this crazy lady got up!) and I was still sleeping on my fluffy pillow in my new crate! I was taken right outside to go potty with Raz and Kona. I had a very successful first day and night in my new home. No accidents on the floor or my crate! Yippie for me! I am a good girl!!!!

I love to counter surf. Mom and dad have to keep a good eye on me when I am out of my crate because I figure if it is in my reach I should be able to grab it! I don't try to eat everything, I just want to take it so that I can investigate it. I want to smell it all, chew on it a little and keep it for my very own.

I got to go outside and play for quite a while today with Raz and Kona. They decided that I am okay and let me in on a game of football. I wasn't too sure about HOW to play with them so I watched Kona and the way she chased Raz and jumped up on him and when she was done I gave it a whirl. I jumped up on him too! It kind of scared me after I did it so I didn't do it anymore. Mostly I just like running after them and pretending like I know what I'm doing!

Attached File  2.JPG   70.84KB   1 downloads
Attached File  3.JPG   95.22KB   1 downloads
Attached File  1.JPG   79.84KB   1 downloads

When we all come back inside if we "sit" we get a yummy treat. Mom has to help me some cause I am so excited that I don't want to sit and I just want the yummy. I did manage to sit twice on my own now and mom was so happy :whistling:

Oh.. the other strange thing.... I have this little thing on the end of my butt that has started to wiggle. Not all the time, but every so often... it wiggles. Mom laughs when it wiggles. She says I'm "waggin my tail" - whatever that means!

And... the best thing - No bath today. Yipppie!

Edited by Melissa34, 16 October 2006 - 07:06 PM.

If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users