#21 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

Ella,
    I know Princess and I think you have a good shot at passing without taking classes.  She has to do basic obedience...sit, stay, and come a 20 foot distance.  The hardest thing is the 3 minute separation from you.  She has to sit with a stranger for 3 minutes while you are out of site and although she can be concerned, she has to maintain some composure.  You could practice that with any of your friends.  She can do it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The "srangers" I have seen for the holding are very nice and can talk to and pet the dog while you are gone. This is where I thought Brownie would freak and he made it! Also, during the test you are allowed to talk to them, encourage them and touch them lightly (you can't force them) like pat them or help them with sit and down. It is a pretty relaxed and informal test.

Yesterday there was a dog who was with the stranger, and when his mom came back it was like she had been gone for a year. It is funny because he didn't seem very worried at all while she was gone, and then she came around the corner and it was like his whole world lit up. :flower:

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#22 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:26 AM

Does anyone know when the doberman picnic/cgc/wae testing at Island Lake is this year?
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#23 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:03 AM

I looked at the DPCA site and it looks like it is Aug. 20th. Maybe other's have more details.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#24 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Oh...I was looking on the DPC of Detroit site and couldn't find anything :wub: . Thanks so much Diana :)
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#25 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

Kimmi will probably know.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#26 Kimmi

Kimmi

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

DPC of Detroit is holding a WAE August 20th. The DPC of Michigan (the club I hold office in) is NOT holding a CGC, match this year. We are trying to have a little something at my house...but, do not know when. If Bobbie Green comes to my house (which I know she will) she is a CGC tester and anyone can come over if they want their Dobe tested. If a CGC is something you are wanting to test for...let me know.
Kimmi
Sehoya

#27 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

That's exactly what I want Kimmi :wub: . A co-worker is also interested for his adopted lab. Will you keep me in mind when you have a date?
-M. Acklam

#28 Kimmi

Kimmi

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

That's exactly what I want Kimmi :wub: . A co-worker is also interested for his adopted lab. Will you keep me in mind when you have a date?

Of course. Is the Lab registered?
Kimmi
Sehoya

#29 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

He wants to do the CGC with her for eventual therapy testing/work. Does she need to be registered? She was adopted from the pound.
-M. Acklam

#30 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

My club is putting on a CGC test this month. Here is the text of the club announcement. Any questions, you can contact Mary, below, or contact me. Thanks!

The Ann Arbor Dog Training Club is pleased to offer a Canine Good Citizen Test on Wednesday, March 21, 7:00-9:00 pm
in rooms 1 and 2. The dog club is located at 1575 E. North Territorial Rd, about half a mile east of US23. A practice
session where we will describe the test and have a run through will be held on Wed, March 14, also at 7:00 pm at the same
location. There is a $10.00 charge for the practice and $10.00 for the test. Those who want to come and observe are
welcome. No pre-registration is required.
The CGC Program is a two-part program designed to (1) teach responsible dog ownership and (2) certify dogs that have
the training and behaviors needed to be reliable, well-behaved members of families and communities. It can also be a
gateway to therapy dog work. What better way is there to showcase good manners and sound temperament in our dogs.

For more information contact
Mary Westhoff
maryhw@aol.com
734-426-4429

Edited by Cheri, 01 March 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#31 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thank you for this info Cheri :) . My friend with the adopted lab will be very interested.
-M. Acklam

#32 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

The Ann Arbor Dog Training Club is once again offering the AKC Canine Good Citizen Test to be conducted on Monday, June 11, 2012, at 7:00 p.m. For more information, please see two posts above! The club generally offers this test four times a year. I'm sorry I didn't post in time for the practice, which was last Monday. I'll try to do better next time!

Remember, the AKC Canine Good Citizen Test is open to dogs of any breed, including mixes. Registration papers are not required! This is a fun thing to do with your dog. There is no pressure to "Pass" the test. You may retake it as many times as you wish (but not on the same date). It's a great way to get your feet wet, so to speak, if you are thinking of perhaps trying for a therapy dog certification, or going on to obedience, rally, or agility training.

Edited by Cheri, 07 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#33 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

My buddy Rick and his adopted lab Abby passed the CGC! I knew she would do it....she's such a very good girl.

Attached File  480068_10150976754834452_449745235_n.jpg   32.27KB   2 downloads
-M. Acklam

#34 dobie sunshine

dobie sunshine

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Wow what a pretty girl, Way to go Abby!!!

#35 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

Congratulations Rick & Abby! :Applause:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#36 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Good job Rick and Abby, they look very happy, congratulation's.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#37 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

Nice pic of Rick and Abby!
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#38 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

I remember seeing him there. Congratulations, Rick and Abby!

We had a good turnout, 14 really nice dogs of a variety of breeds and mixes.

Edited by Cheri, 15 June 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#39 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

He's just tickled! He loves that dog and takes her everywhere. He has big plans to get her therapy dog cert and bring her to our work. Oh......and he's single ;) ....cooks and cleans too.
-M. Acklam

#40 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

He's just tickled! He loves that dog and takes her everywhere. He has big plans to get her therapy dog cert and bring her to our work. Oh......and he's single ;) ....cooks and cleans too.

Then maybe he should consider joining a dog training club. The membership is mostly women, none of whom will complain about dog hair in the house or the amount of time he spends with the dog! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users