10 replies to this topic

#1 jenniferd

jenniferd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:51 PM

Hello All,

It's been a while since I had a younger dog, my Tipper is 7 yrs old, so pardon my ignorance on this topic! But I can't remember whether or not rawhides are good things for dogs to chew on? Jenny happily chewed on a nylabone yesterday and I think would enjoy things to chew on, but I want to make sure I'm giving her things that are good for her. Any thoughts? Thanks!

#2 jenniferd

jenniferd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

oops! looks like I should have put this in the health section. Rookie mistake!!

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

We use a lot of raw hydes here when the funds allow us to. I have heard a lot of stories over the years but for the dogs I have had they really keep the boredom down. And they help keep their gums and teeth healthy. Yes, Jenny had many with no problems. I know several people who have dogs with very sensitive stomachs and then it can be a problem. But those are very rare cases.
Hug that ole bear for me.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:23 PM

Dude likes the natural bones. We get them at PetSmart and/or Pet Supplies Plus. They are a cow shin bone that is boiled clean. He's never shown much interest in rawhides, but loves his natural bones. Just an idea for something else to try. Give her a hug from me too!
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#5 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

I go through so much rawhide these guys should moo. It seems to make them happy and keeps them out of my hair for a few minutes.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#6 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

Val has chocked on a piece of rawhide that he pulled loose and so has Cocoa. Luckily I was able to get both pieces out of their throats. Because of this, I only let them chew on them when I can be right there with them. I never leave their site now and if I have to, I take them away and put them in the microwave so they can't get to them.

They do like the natural bones and Cocoa likes her chocolate Nylabone.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#7 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

I believe in rawhides - it keeps Lilo from destroying other things. Just don't leave them unattended with it or make sure you buy a huge one - it took Magnum and Lilo 2 weeks to dwindle the 2 foot rawhides down to the size that I throw them out at. I always throw away small pieces and never buy anything smaller than 8 inches (they have long mouths and a 6 inch rawhide can easily fit in and mouth closed). I like the nylabone too! Anything to keep Lilo's mouth off of my couch :sorcerer:
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#8 Sydneysmom

Sydneysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

Sydney gets rawhides, but she is such an aggressive chewer that she literally rips pieces off and she has choked on them, so I get her the compressed ones that are harder - but I ALWAYS watch her when she has one, she never gets one by herself.
She won't have anything to do with Nylabone bones.
I give her "yummy-bones" I make for her..............................
A 3 inch shank bone from the butcher (no soft knuckle ends), I boil them, so the meat is cooked & freeze them. She gets it frozen - it lasts longer for to chew! SHE LOVES THEM!!!! They were such high value, in the beginning, she had a little growling problem, but we put that behavior to a quick stop! :sorcerer:

#9 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:57 PM

Buddy and Alley eat tons of rawhides. I give them each one in their crates and they love them. Our kids only get treats in their crates because they cannot share well. Page used to choke on them a lot cause she tried to swallow GIANT pieces, but she always coughed it up and chewed on it some more.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#10 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

I like to give my dogs raw soup bones as long they're from the cannon bone of the cow. My dogs LOVE them and are occupied for hours...never had a sick dog from the raw meat/marrow. :sorcerer:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#11 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

Dakota and Myles chew them all the time. I get the rawhides from Sam's Club.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users