Photo

our new doberman is afraid of other dogs.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

He still doesn't like people who are drinking beer.

I have heard many times of instances where dogs are afraid of alcohol. Probably that is a time when they were kicked around - when someone had been drinking. It was years before I could have even a wine cooler and not have my red boy slink away and hide.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#22 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

I could understand that fear, and I'd probably have that fear too if I had been in that situation. Alot of people just shouldn't have animals.

#23 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

As for feeding, my boy gets 1.5 cups, am and pm, and he always acts starving. He's not starving by any means, but he lives for his dinner. If we are late with dinner he will whine and pace. He just loves food I think. I don't think he got fed regularly before Arda, so food is a miracle to him every time. My girls get 2cups am and pm, because they are both skinny minnies. Bud is 7ish, so he isn't as active as the girls, Alley is 3ish, Bailey is only 11mths. I go by how they look. If they seem a little pudgy, cut back, if they seem a little skinny add a little. I do give my kids "bonus" food too, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit and veggies, on top of their kibble.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#24 TrishandNick

TrishandNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thank you, I didn't want to be starving the poor boy lol. He has been eating my daughters droppings lol The beans accidentaly fell off of her plate and table lol
Im pretty sure he didn't get fed that good. When we got him on friday you could see his ribs no problem, in only 4 days his ribs are still there but not even close to what they were before. Aswell as his coat, it has gotten so much healthier looking in such a short period of time. He is such a lovable and amasing puppy, and very smart too! I have him giving me a high five and working on sitting pretty..lol
Thank's again, Trish and Diablo

#25 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

They always act as though they are hungry, even after they just eat. Cocoa (almost 5) and Val (senior) both get 1 level cup of Eagle Pack (Salmon & Oatmeal) in the AM. In the PM, Cocoa gets 1 1/4 cups plus a few spoonfuls of canned and Val gets one 1 cup, plus a few spoonfuls of canned. One can lasts 2 days. Both maintain their weight well. Cocoa is 71 and Val is around 80.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#26 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

Dude is 9 and weighs 85#, he gets 1.5 cups am and pm. Darcy is 3-ish, and about 65#, she also gets 1.5 cups am and pm. Diddles is 8 months and still growing, she weighs around 60# and gets 2 cups of puppy food am and pm. Sometimes if they seem extra hungry, I'll give them some oatmeal mid-day. The Vet said it is filling, without too many calories. We don't feed very many treats, if we do they get a small size Milkbone. :)
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#27 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

We don't feed very many treats, if we do they get a small size Milkbone. :)

Poor Dude, we feel your pain.........
Attached File  100_7190.gif   156.79KB   1 downloads
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#28 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

Poor Dude, we feel your pain.........
Attached File  100_7190.gif   156.79KB   1 downloads

Cheryl, you are just too funny. Good caption on that picture. My two were shocked that statement, only one snack, but I am doing some training right now and they are getting a few more than one.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#29 baron'sma

baron'sma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

Dude is 9 and weighs 85#, he gets 1.5 cups am and pm. Darcy is 3-ish, and about 65#, she also gets 1.5 cups am and pm. Diddles is 8 months and still growing, she weighs around 60# and gets 2 cups of puppy food am and pm. Sometimes if they seem extra hungry, I'll give them some oatmeal mid-day. The Vet said it is filling, without too many calories. We don't feed very many treats, if we do they get a small size Milkbone. :whistling:

You say oatmeal as a mid day snack? Really? Baron get 1.5 cups in the am and pm, and .5 cup for "lunch". How much oatmeal do you give him? Are we talking like just plain oatmeal, or a doggie oatmeal? Do you give it to him hot or cold? At the pm feeding Baron gets yougurt on his food too, HE LOVES IT :pinch:

#30 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

I hate to say it but....I have several dogs out here getting 4 cups of dry and 1/4 can of wet - 2 times a day. They are not fat enough for me yet.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#31 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

You say oatmeal as a mid day snack? Really? Baron get 1.5 cups in the am and pm, and .5 cup for "lunch". How much oatmeal do you give him? Are we talking like just plain oatmeal, or a doggie oatmeal? Do you give it to him hot or cold? At the pm feeding Baron gets yougurt on his food too, HE LOVES IT :whistling:

Just regular oatmeal. I give him about a cup or so. I usually put the oatmeal into a bowl, add enough warm water to make it soupy, let it set for a few minutes so it can absorb the water and then put it in his dish. He loves it.
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)

#32 baron'sma

baron'sma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

Just regular oatmeal. I give him about a cup or so. I usually put the oatmeal into a bowl, add enough warm water to make it soupy, let it set for a few minutes so it can absorb the water and then put it in his dish. He loves it.

well i guess you do learn something new everyday...thanks i will try this tomorrow...thanks for the tip :whistling:

arda: the dogs that are getting 4 cups how much do they weigh? Baron is 14 months and weighs 90 pounds and not an ounce of fat on him...each dog different?

thanks
steph

#33 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

A lot has to do with kind of dog food and the condition of the dog. The better quality of food, the less you have to use. A lot of these furkids come in in very bad shape and we overfeed to get them going. Harley weighs almost 50 pounds and he is being fed 3 cups four times a day.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#34 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

Baron is 14 months and weighs 90 pounds and not an ounce of fat on him...each dog different?

Depending on Baron's activity level, he may need more food than the dog food bag recommends. Their feeding recommendations are a general guideline. If Baron looks a little on the ribby side, he may require more food. At 14 months old, he isn't done growing yet. :whistling:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)

#35 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

Baron is a big boy. Debl's boy, Klaus is a big boy, too. He weighs in at about 100# I think Deb was saying and he is very svelt.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#36 baron'sma

baron'sma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

lol, I just took Baron to the vet today for his heartworm test, and he weighs in at 96# lol. Baron is very active, he is not the typical "sleek" dobe. The people that we bought him from said that he was "a german variation" I dont what the means, but I know he is almost as big as the pictures they showed me of his mom and dad. He is real broad (i guess that is how you would describe it). He seems to be maintaining his weight very well with the feeding schedule that I have him on. Thanks for all the advice arda and everyone else:D

#37 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

I think we need a picture of Baron, so we can see if he is a non typical Dobe or not. :whistling: (Actually we just like seeing pictures of Dobes). :pinch:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)

#38 baron'sma

baron'sma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

I think we need a picture of Baron, so we can see if he is a non typical Dobe or not. :whistling: (Actually we just like seeing pictures of Dobes). :Sick:

lol, i cant figure out how to upload pictures :pinch: so i just made a slide show...hope you enjoy i did :LOL:

http://smg.photobuck...nt=7943d898.pbw

Edited by baron'sma, 30 March 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#39 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

He's gorgeous! He looks so much like my Tank. Just hang in there and be patient while he grows into adulthood. Young males can be very difficult to tolerate...and I use that word loosely...LOL....They are like teenage boys who just want to test your limits. Stick to the training and being the "pack leader" and you'll have a great dobe to be proud of :whistling:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#40 baron'sma

baron'sma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

He's gorgeous! He looks so much like my Tank. Just hang in there and be patient while he grows into adulthood. Young males can be very difficult to tolerate...and I use that word loosely...LOL....They are like teenage boys who just want to test your limits. Stick to the training and being the "pack leader" and you'll have a great dobe to be proud of :whistling:

oh we have come quite a ways from a year ago...about 6 months in I thought that I was gonna snap...but we are getting there. Its amazing to see how small he was when we brought him home and today OH MY GOSH !!!!! He is such a gentle soul even if his body is not so gentle LOL.

Edited by baron'sma, 30 March 2009 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users