• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jdbell

jdbell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

Very unexpectedly we had to make the heart wrenching decision to help Heidi across the Rainbow Bridge yesterday.  Just over 11 years ago my husband and I started searching on Pet Finder for a new furry family member and I think the only real search term we used was big. Heidi popped up on our screen and we both laughed and said she doesn't look liker a doberman!  We called and made arrangements to meet her that weekend. On our way there, Arda called and only in the honest way that is Arda, said something has "changed" in Heidi and she seemed aggressive and may be we should delay coming until she could better assess her. The thing was we were already 1.45 hrs into a 2 hr drive and we decided to press on.

Arda was right,  We approached the kennel and she growled, snarled and snapped. We weren't sure what to do. To this day I am not sure why, may be because she took a treat so gently or because she looked like a giant fluff ball, but after driving home and thinking about it over night, we came back the next day and picked her up.  

Our lives were changed forever.  She was a challenge. We worked with her continuously over the years, made accommodations in our life style, but it was all worth it because once you were in her circle, which greatly expanded over the years, she was the most loving, smart and loyal dog.  She was also good big sister to Fozzie Bear whom we got from Second Chance a couple of years later,

There is a hole in our heart and our family tonight.  The sadness seems almost unbearable but I am glad we have Fozzie to cuddle and hold.

Arda and everyone at Second Chance thank you for taking a chance on us and on Heidi.  She was a magnificent and wonderful pet.

Love,

Brian, Judy and Fozzie

Picture of day we brought Heidi home 1-16-2006 and a picture from last month

Attached File  first day.jpg   84.58KB   0 downloadsAttached File  headshot.jpg   30.77KB   0 downloads 

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

She was so beautiful.  But she sure had her own ideas about who she liked and who she didn't.  Thank you so much for caring for her and loving her.  She lived a great long life with you and the memories would be enough to fill a book.  Thank you so much and for knowing when it was her time to run free with all the other "Dobermanns" that have left here.  God has a special place for all my Dobermanns up there.  Run Free Fozzie!

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Heidi.  She was so lucky to have been adopted by just the right people to understand her special needs, her quirks, and to help her be the best dog she could be.   I know your hearts are breaking right now, but thank you for giving her a great life.  Run free, Heidi..........

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#4 ohiodobe

ohiodobe

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:18 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. Linda
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principle difference between a dog and a man." ---- Mark Twain

#5 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

So sorry for your loss and sharing Heidi's story❤
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#6 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:36 PM

Sorry for your loss. She was beautiful

Run Free Heidi.....

#7 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'm so sorry that you had to lose her--she was a beautiful girl. I know she'll live forever in your hearts.  :Rose:

#8 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

So sorry for your loss of Heidi. She was a very lucky girl. Big hug to Fozzi
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#9 jdbell

jdbell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts.  It is one week today and we miss her terribly. I guess I never realized how much of our lives (happily so) are built around our dogs.  We  are just trying to find our new normal with just Fozzie Bear. He is  getting some extra walks and play dates to help ease him through this transition.

Cheri, thank you for the comment about helping her to be the best dog she could be. I never thought about it  that way but it really has helped me in just trying to  process our loss.

Thank you again everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users