84 replies to this topic

#41 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:14 PM

Hi everyone.  I'm getting caught up on the forum here after not having been around for a while.  My, oh, my, what everyone has been through!  I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Joaquin's mom, and Sarah's mom's diagnosis, although it sounds like her prognosis is good.  Not to mention those of you who have had Covid or been in the hospital for other reasons.  Glad to hear everyone is all right.  Arda, that pond ordeal with the dogs in the water sounds horrifying!  Thank God you all made it out alive.

Rick and I are doing all right.  We lost both of our Dobes over the past fall and winter, first Logan, to an aggressive osteosarcoma.  He also had DCM and a couple other issues.  Tasha made it to almost 14 before her heart finally gave out.  She was my miracle dog, though, living for eight years after a diagnosis of DCM.

Arda, I hope Britney is still with you.  She's another miracle dog!

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#42 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:26 PM

Cheri;  So sorry you lost both of your Doberkids.  Never seems long enough.  Went to Sam's Club Sunday.  Stocked up on the canned food that keeps our old kids eating.  Pedigree chopped for Britney; Sam's Turkey for Muffin; and Purina chopped for Peanut.  Let me tell you...........they eat better than I do.  And yes BRITNEY at 19 is still with us.  It's just one of God's little miracles.  When I worried about the hot weather, she sat in the creek.  She's slowed a lot and all her rust is white but she is still with me, eating her chopped Pedigree.  4 to 6 cans a day.  And yes she does wet her crate, but that's why I am here.  To do the laundry and open the cans.  So far it's been a great Spring and start to summer.  Stay safe and may God hold you in his hand.  Arda

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#43 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:25 AM

I'm very happy to hear that Britney is still with you.  I remember meeting her once, many years ago, and there was something about her that was so very special.  I still miss my Dobermans terribly, all of them, even the ones I lost many, many years ago.

As fate would have it, I have a very nice lab mix right now.  We found each other at a time when we really needed a dog, and he really needed a family, and I think it was meant to be.  Our hope is that he will have a Doberman sister when the time is right.

I'm sending good wishes to you, Arda, all the dogs in your care, and all of the extended SCD family.  May all of you be healthy and be safe.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#44 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:06 AM

Arda's computer is down AGAIN!! Not sure why no signal......her phone does work though, maybe hit by lighting we will figure it out

to get her back on line.

#45 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:01 AM

Arda has no internet again! It's been a month now just in case you are trying to contact her

#46 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:39 AM

Arda has no internet again! It's been a month now just in case you are trying to contact her

Thanks for keeping us updated, Jill.  Sadly, forums like this seem to be going by the wayside, and this one is not nearly as busy as it used to be, but there are a few of us hold-outs who still check in here once in a while, and we do worry when there's been no sign of Arda for a while.

#47 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 13 August 2021 - 12:28 AM

Ok I'll admit it, when my mom passed, I lost it. Still not right.  Getting better.  Arda/Jill I'm working on the changes to the site you asked for, having some issues (what's new?).  Also let me know if you don't end up getting a new computer for Arda, I can by all means bring her down a new computer.  Let us know.

#48 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:05 AM

I'm back!  Computer repaired and back up.  Ya know you're ready to go wherever when the phone and internet leave your home.  Lost in a world of cyber space.  And this is the Golden years that I have been promised.  I prefer the age of Rebellion. 

#49 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 04 September 2021 - 12:47 PM

Omg, 

Omg, Arda, you are still making me laugh! Joaquin, I'm so sorry about your mom. Lost mine 11 years ago & still miss her every day. Like 

Cheri, I still check here once in a while-miss the days when the forum was so active. Arda, Sammy String-bean is still doing well-the vet is optimistic re: the DCM. His last ultra sound showed no improvement but there was no worsening either, and he still has no activity restrictions. Told you when I got him I hoped for at least 10 years with him-still have at least 3 to go, God willing. Take care of you & the remaining fur kids.

#50 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:55 AM

Pam, sending you prayers and good wishes for your Sammy String-bean.  I know how devastating DCM can be, but I'll share a little something that may give you hope.  I lost Natasha this past January.  She had been diagnosed with a significant case of DCM when she was six.  At that time, her prognosis was poor and she was going downhill fast, but the drug regimen she was put on made a tremendous difference.  She was just short of turning fourteen when we had to send her to the Bridge, and in those years, her heart stayed pretty much stable, until the final six months or so.  We lost Logan last October.  He had been diagnosed with DCM at ten, and made it to twelve and half, but it was cancer that took him, not DCM.

I had posted earlier about having a nice little Lab mix.  His name is Hunter and he is four years old.  He's the color of a chocolate Lab, but we're pretty sure he is a Lab/Beagle cross.  He's only 44 pounds, so he seemed really small to me when we first got him, after nothing but Dobes in my house for decades.  I'm happy to say he's now been joined by Terra, a six-year-old red Doberman female.  It's wonderful to have two dogs in the house again, and it makes the endless stresses of today's world a little easier to bear.

I miss the busy days of the forum, too, and I still check here once in a while.  In looking back through this entire thread this morning, I'm seeing a couple of names we haven't seen around here in a very long time, which was nice.  Sending best wishes to all of you and your loved ones and all of your dogs, Dobermans and otherwise.

#51 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:23 PM

I think my brother has DCM.  Anyway, he's got all the symptoms that the dogs have.  He still can't walk but they are going to send him to a rehab to get him up and moving.  They are stating that he is not a candidate for surgery.  I'm a whole bunch confused about him.  I knew I should have taken him to my vet.  Hey everyone, it's good to see some of you out here again.  Missed you.  We are getting a storm in here this evening.  Gave Mouth 2 Calming vitamins to see if we can keep him from tearing the place apart tonight.  Stay safe.  This isn't Louisiana but we still get storms.  Sleep tight Mouth.

#52 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 08:47 AM

I hope everyone made it through the heavy storms that went through pretty much the whole state yesterday and last night.  We did fine here.  At times, heavy-ish rain, a little wind, but thankfully nothing close to the 70 mph they were predicting.  There was a tornado warning about 9 p.m. that was for an area eight or ten miles south of us.  We were fine, but it went right over my cousin's house.  I talked to her this morning, and they didn't get anything bad out of it.  Fingers crossed for all of you on the board that you didn't have any damage.

It seems a bit funny now to have two dogs who do not panic in thunderstorms, not at all.  My previous two, especially Logan, had to have those calming herbs anytime we had a storm.

Arda, I'm hoping your brother will improve once he gets into rehab.  I have heard that pimobendan, the med we commonly give our dogs for DCM (Vetmedin) is approved for human use in Japan, but nowhere else.  Not sure if that's still true or what.

Edited by Cheri, 08 September 2021 - 08:48 AM.

#53 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:42 PM

Just in case, I think I'll keep him on it til he starts barking too much than I'll give him the Calming Meds and see if that improves his disposition.  If he starts lifting his leg, I'll throw him in a kennel.  Pimobendan has given a bunch of our dogs a lot more time with us.  Maybe it'll help my brother too.  Better idea than some of the things they are recommending.  And this calming stuff did help Mouth.  He went to my office til the storms were over instead of clawing at the garbage bags and the cupboards in the kitchen.  This poor guy is a mess but he is so loving.

#54 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 09:00 AM

Arda, I'm hoping your brother will improve once he gets into rehab.  I have heard that pimobendan, the med we commonly give our dogs for DCM (Vetmedin) is approved for human use in Japan, but nowhere else.  Not sure if that's still true or what.

Pimobendan has given a bunch of our dogs a lot more time with us.  Maybe it'll help my brother too.  Better idea than some of the things they are recommending.

Just a little disclaimer here.  My post above was not meant in any way to suggest people in the U.S. should be taking pimobendan.  I am not a medical professional and would never make that kind of a recommendation.  As I said, it is approved for human use only in Japan, as far as I know.  Maybe someday there will be more studies and maybe, or maybe not, it will be approved here for human use.  Arda, I just never know when you're kidding or not!  So I felt I should clarify.  I did not want my post misunderstood.

#55 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:08 AM

Wasn't it Trump that asked about using "bleach" for Covid.  Common sense folks.  If your Doctor doesn't recommend it, don't try it.  All of us had our shots and will be getting a booster when it is released.

#56 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:19 PM

So today was " change the collars " day.  It should be a national holiday.  We could no longer tell what color they were.  All looked like "Swamp Brown".  So we dug out the clean collars and started in.  Pink for 19 year old Britney.  Skull and cross bones for Jett.  Bright green for the " Fat Rat ".  Lavender for Peanut (she's built like Sarah) and we are NOT starving her.  And so on.  All 14 in new collars.  All except Armani.  Now if you are real brave and think you can handle any Dobermann, come on out.  I'll stay in the house.  They at least look better.  Funny how the smell is the same.  Maybe we should attach those things ya use in the car vents.  It is a good day.

#57 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:32 AM

It is day light and the bad sky demons have left our area.  Mouth stayed in the office under my desk til about 1.  Then he came creeping in to assume his place to protect me from God only knows what.  With all that going on out doors, NO ACCIDENTS!  Thank you God.  And they are ready to raise a little heck out doors this morning.  I'll stay inside and rejoice in the solemn life I dream of.  I'm going to ask the kids for some alone time in the yard as I have a row of very mature Forsythia bushes that have to be moved to make way for the under ground electric lines that are going to be installed.  Just getting ready for winter. 

#58 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:22 PM

Good ole Jill ordered some dog food for the kids from Chewy and they are delivering it the house.  Purina Sensitive systems for Sofie, Nickie, and Sweetums.  It took 5 days as they could not find the address.  Forgot that when they put the new gates in that the house number was on the one pole.  I guess they never heard of using their GPS or what ever it's called in their truck.  Anyway, it arrived.  I threw the two large boxes on the trailer and drove them to the house.  Opened the boxes and dragged the bags into the house.  left the boxes on the trailer to take to the burn pile.  Can you guess how many pieces a team of Dobermanns  can make out of two boxes?  It took the better part of an hour to gather the pieces up and dispose of them.  Therapy?  Who needs it.  I have a team of Dobermanns.  And I am determined to out live them and their ideas of exercise.  I will remember this lesson.

#59 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:12 AM

Good ole Jill ordered some dog food for the kids from Chewy and they are delivering it the house.  Purina Sensitive systems for Sofie, Nickie, and Sweetums.  It took 5 days as they could not find the address.  Forgot that when they put the new gates in that the house number was on the one pole.  I guess they never heard of using their GPS or what ever it's called in their truck.  Anyway, it arrived.  I threw the two large boxes on the trailer and drove them to the house.  Opened the boxes and dragged the bags into the house.  left the boxes on the trailer to take to the burn pile.  Can you guess how many pieces a team of Dobermanns  can make out of two boxes?  It took the better part of an hour to gather the pieces up and dispose of them.  Therapy?  Who needs it.  I have a team of Dobermanns.  And I am determined to out live them and their ideas of exercise.  I will remember this lesson.

Wow well I guess that is better than when they just throw the boxes over the fence to "deliver" them and then the dogs tear up the boxes and what was inside.

Big ol Oaf hates the delivery people.  He hasn't put it together that this is who is bring him his food.

#60 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:44 PM

Big Ole Oaf is just like his owner.........a great big Teddy Bear.  All squishy and sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users