146 replies to this topic

#141 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

They get along quite well, but...they will be playing and someone hurts someone and the gloves go on and I have to grab a chair, or broom, or whatever and make them stop. They are all best buds as long as when done is done, Dewey stops and he doesn't always, actually rarely does he stop when the others are done. He is still a pup at 10-1/2 months old so he doesn't seem to respect bounderies like he will learn to.
Nemo is one of the most stubborn kids I have had. He is in obedience and when he doesn't want to practice at home there is quite the fight for Alpha. I win, but it isn't fun to do, and to fight him like I have to when he doesn't want to heal and walk, or whatever makes this work and not pleasant.
We are working on doing figure 8's and I had to struggle a long time with him, almost dragging him throughout the exercise. I don't know if he is bored or just a stinker, but it should be fun for the 2 of us and it isn't.
Dewey is on injured reserve. He broke his third toe on his left foot going from my car in the garage to the house. Have no idea how, but he is out of the class. But he is fun to work with. Very excited and wanting to please me. He loves it.

Mary

Edited by oreo5129, 13 June 2009 - 10:13 PM.

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#142 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:30 AM

when he doesn't want to practice at home there is quite the fight for Alpha. I win, but it isn't fun to do, and to fight him like I have to when he doesn't want to heal and walk, or whatever makes this work and not pleasant.
We are working on doing figure 8's and I had to struggle a long time with him, almost dragging him throughout the exercise. I don't know if he is bored or just a stinker, but it should be fun for the 2 of us and it isn't.

Hi Mary,

I know what you mean, there were some days I had to call off training Buddy because I found myself too frustrated with him and the instructor says it's better to stop training than to train frustrated. I just had to praise him like a mad person when he did things right and the light bulb eventually came on. What works well for our dogs is to make sure and bring that training collar all the way up right under his ears, then do your healing and hopefully he won't fight through a correction with the collar up high like that. Alley knows exactly how much she has to obey when her collar is down on her neck. As soon as we pull the collar up under her ears, all of a sudden she is a show dog and walks in a perfect heal. :D

#143 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hi Mary,

I know what you mean, there were some days I had to call off training Buddy because I found myself too frustrated with him and the instructor says it's better to stop training than to train frustrated. I just had to praise him like a mad person when he did things right and the light bulb eventually came on. What works well for our dogs is to make sure and bring that training collar all the way up right under his ears, then do your healing and hopefully he won't fight through a correction with the collar up high like that. Alley knows exactly how much she has to obey when her collar is down on her neck. As soon as we pull the collar up under her ears, all of a sudden she is a show dog and walks in a perfect heal. :D

Ya know J, that collar was up under his ears and I could hear how hard it was for him to swallow, that is how tight it was, and he wouldn't give up. I gave him a good shake up like Diane gave Buster during class and it didn't phase him. He does fine at class, but could do so much better if he wouldn't fight me with the training so that he got the amt of training he should have in.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#144 debl

debl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

Dewey looks like he's talking to you in the 2nd picture. I swear Nemo has a lot more hair than when you first brought him home. Nice pics of your Boys!

#145 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

Dewey looks like he's talking to you in the 2nd picture. I swear Nemo has a lot more hair than when you first brought him home. Nice pics of your Boys!

As a matter of fact, he was. he is my talker and I love it. Always has something to say.

mary

Stanley Coren

#146 debl

debl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

As a matter of fact, he was. he is my talker and I love it. Always has something to say.

mary

I like talkers, too. My Ruby used to chat with me all the time. She could put a smile on your face, even on a bad day. Always something witty to say :D Klaus, on the other hand is more of a "sigher" :flower:

#147 sara1501

sara1501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

Our Skylar is Blue and has no hair and loves to be covered, she hasn't had any hair growth in 1.5 years
we've had her.
Our Riddick loves his teddy bear, which is lacking limps but he holds and sucks it for hours on end
Has anyone else had the same thing happen?
Phoebe likes the talking ones and just wants the sound but Riddick likes to suck them. Was he taken away
from his mom too early? Because he's a big boy we have to get him big stuffed animals.
I was worried about the dye in the stuffies hurting him. I try to wash them first.
Any ideas, I don't want to hurt my boy.

My last Dobe, Murphy, sucked on his toys all 7 years of his life. He would actually fall asleep with one in his mouth when he was a puppy! He had a genetic heart defect, but we never had any problems with the toys. I guess some of them are a little special! LOL So, I would say just sit back and relax with that, no harm will come:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users