12 replies to this topic

#1 Melinda

Melinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:52 AM

I picked Sadie up from a breeder when she was 6 weeks old.  She rode home in my coat.  She helped us raise our two children, went to every camp trip we traveled to and welcomed two Rescues from Second Chance Dobes, showed them the ropes in her yard, where to go potty and how to behave.  She has been amazingly healthy and the day she passed, she and I had spent 10 minutes playing fetch.  As usual, in the evening, I turned everyone out at 8:00 for their last run of the evening.  They all came in at 8:30.  All three ran to their dog dishes and ate their evening snack.  With that, as usual, Sadie wandered into our bedroom and laid on her bed.  But this evening, she began to salivate profusely....I called my husband into the room, in alarm.  He agreed something was wrong, went back to the living room to finish what he was working on, while I went down the hall to grab a blanket, as Sadie was starting to feel cold  to the touch.  As I left, Sadie ran out of the room and leaped on Denny, a first in 14 years, she was always refined and mannered.  We led her back to the bedroom.  She crawled on her bed.  I sat down and put my arms around her torso, Denny reached down and took her face in his hands and at that, she sighed and died.  How heart breaking, what torment,... How beautiful it was.  Sadie gave her entire self to us for 14 years and in the end, she allowed us to usher her home.....  She passed in February, I am still so incredibly lost without her.  He dog tags hang in the tree above her resting place, tinkling for me to hear each day, reminiscent of the sound I could hear as she ran around the yard.  Yesterday I went out on the porch and called her, a 14 year habit that dissolved me to tears.  Josie, our SCD girl, sits stoically beside me each day waiting for my heart to mend.  So glad that Josie is here, to ease me through this transition.  So, each of you reading this, just hug your Dobie a couple extra times each day, because you never know when that hug will be the last one.  And when it is over, remember the wonderful times and how awesome it is to have shared your life with a Doberman.

Attached Files

• Attached File  085.jpg   439.79KB   0 downloads

"Happiness is best pursued at a full gallop."

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

The tears are running down my face.  I grieve for you.  It's never long enough for us.  My heart really goes out to you.  Run free Sadie.  You did a good job here on earth.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 ohiodobe

ohiodobe

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful tribute you wrote for your much loved Sadie. Linda

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principle difference between a dog and a man." ---- Mark Twain

#4 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

I am truly sorry for your lose. Just reading your tribute to your sweet Sadie made me sit here and weep,I could hardly finish reading

your special story.Run Free Sadie....... :Rose:  :doberman:

#5 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

Omg I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beauty. Your in my thoughts
Sharen

#6 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

I'm so sorry. I am also crying after reading this.  :Broken Heart: She was a beautiful girl, and more importantly she was so obviously cherished. How I wish for every dog the life that you gave Sadie. May she find Wrangler and play in the sun and sleep in the shade until you meet again. Run free Sadie girl...

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#7 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Crying over here too.......What a beautiful way to describe your memory of her.   I love the tags blowing in the wind. ...although, I think I'd be driven to tears every time I heard them.  She was very special to you and I know she's in that yard still.....every time  you listen for her. 

We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#8 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

Melinda, I am so sorry for your loss.  Your post is a beautiful tribute to a very special dog.  Sadie had fourteen years of a wonderful life with you.  I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that she did not suffer a long illness, that she spent her last day doing the things she loved, and when it was time to pass to the Bridge, she was safe in the arms of the people she loved.  Run free, Sadie......

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#9 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful Sadie, what a special gem she was for your family, she left you with wonderful memories. :Rose: 

Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#10 Melinda

Melinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

I hesitated to post Sadie's passing, since she was not a rescue.  I did  not realize by doing so, how healing it would be.  With every kind response, I cry again.  But it  is so healing to be surrounded by those of you that understand my loss.  Thanks to each of you for sharing your compassion with me.

"Happiness is best pursued at a full gallop."

#11 Dobes & Feathers

Dobes & Feathers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Condolences to you and your family on the loss your sweet girl Sadie.
Bittersweet (wubs)One true love four leggs and fur.

Dreams become reality one choice at a time.

S.C.D.'s Rhue ( Little Red Rhuebarb) 2008 or 2009 to March 2021
Forever your paw print in our heart's
S.C.D.'s Darling Darla Blue(LaLa for short)
Our Velcro Love Bug ( approx D.O.B Jan,2004 to June,2011)
& one of the many Queens prior
Autumn ( Black Lab)
Sept 1996 to Feb 2010

#12 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:34 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss but so glad you had so many years with your beloved girl.  My first Dobe was also a Sadie & lived to be 14.  Whether we have them for 14 years or 14 months, losing them is not easy.  You're in my thoughts.   :Rose:

#13 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

Your tribute to Sadie is beautiful.

You were so fortunate to have your beautiful girl for fourteen years.

My sympathy to you and your family.

In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users