• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dtalleman

dtalleman

• Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

We recently picked up a rescue dog from Second Chance and it is unlikely the dog is a doberman but nonetheless a great looking dog that we want to spend many years with. The past two nights since we have had her at home she does not want to sleep in her crate without whining and barking. The crate is in the main level of our house and our bedroom is upstairs. The barking and whining seems to go for a long time (we probably let it go for 15 - 20 minutes) and it does not seem like it is going to stop. The solution we have found that works is that I sleep on the couch that the is close to the crate and Velvet will fall asleep with very little issue. If the solution is as simple as that, I was thinking of moving the crate inside our bedroom for a period of time until she gets comfortable at home with us. I have issues/questions with that though. Velvet will not walk up our stairs to get to the bedroom, and is unlikely that she will walk down them either. Also, is having her in our bedroom "wrong/bad" for long term?

I am looking for some answers/solutions to the barking/whining at night, climbing up and down stairs and if the crate in our bedroom is appropriate. Velvet is younger then 1 years old, likley 8 months old but no one is certain. We also just left her at home for the first time today as we both work. So do you think leaving her alone for us not to hear the barking and whining that she will learn to relax and sleep in the crate on her own so that at night she will be fine?

Please help us resolve these issues.

Thanks

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

A dog will get away with anything YOU will let them get away with. You put her crate where ever you want it and make he adapt to it. The word is "NO" and use it in a low growl y tone like you are in control and don't like her behavior. Another great tool is a spray water bottle. A squirt and a "NO". Be firm. She is very smart and she can certainly learn.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

I sure hope it isn't 'wrong' to have the crate in the bedroom.....we have 3 crates in ours. :whistling: I, personally, find it comforting to have a dog (or 3) sleeping in our bedroom. :Sleepy: :Sleepy: :Sleepy:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#4 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Whenever I have had to have a dog in a crate, the crate is in my bedroom. I am another one who likes the comfort and security of "sleeping with dogs" so it has never been an issue for me.

Wish I could help with the stairs issue, but for 30 years, I have lived in a house with no stairs, so I have no experience in that area.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#5 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

We use a squirt bottle too. We actually taught the command "quiet". We would say quiet and then squirt them with the water. After awhile you can just say quiet and they stop. Or I can just pick up the squirt bottle and say nothing and they stop.

Our dogs sleep in our bedroom. I think that is just a personal decision. I feel a lot safer with the dogs sleeping in my room in case of a fire. I want to know I can get them out.

For the stairs I would get some treats and sit two or three stairs up and call her. As soon as she puts her paws on the steps praise her and treat her. Once she gets comfortable with that, move up a few more steps and call her again. She is such a bright little pup, I think she will catch on quickly.

Good luck! :Four Leaf Clover:

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#6 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Liddy wouldn't go down our basement stairs. One day I waited to give her dinner so she'd be extra hungry. Then I took her dish down stairs and showed/teased her with it. She came down for her food and has been running up and down the stairs ever since.

I like having our dogs sleep in the bedroom. That way if one of them have a potty emergency Lori can get up with them. :devil:
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#7 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have ALWAYS had my dogs sleep where I am...like Sarah says in case of fire, anything
can happen and I want to know I can get to them.

The stairs alot of dogs don't care for stairs that are open..
like you can see through the back sort of thing. With Hunter I took one step
at a time then sat on the step and coaxed him, both
up and down...after all that he would fly up and down
like a nutcase...

She is young and this is all new she will adapt it takes time
and patience...she will come around just stick with it. Also
when you are laying down the ground rules don't forget
"PRAISE". They thrive on it.
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#8 LibbyTea

LibbyTea

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

We have two crates in the bedroom. She can learn to be quiet in the crate. I would not be surprized if she is quiet when you are at work then starts again at night - they love to get their way. Stay strong and don't give in.

#9 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

I think Velvet just wants to be with her new "pack". She's just a baby and leaving her downstairs alone in a new environment must be scary for her. Why not move her crate to your room? I bet she would do better in there and if she continues to cry there, then I would use a command to quiet her and resort to the squirt bottle if needed. I like Bumpster's advice about the stairs....food is ususally the best way to a dog's heart :Cow:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#10 dtalleman

dtalleman

• Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

The sleeping issue seems to have been resolved (at least for now), I am not longer needed to stay on the couch and sleep in the same room with her. She is able to sleep on her own. Generally, we would have the crate in a room next to our bedroom so we can always see and hear our dog. But because she is not able to climb the stairs yet, we will have to leave her in our family room. The goal will be to move her upstairs once we conquer the stairs. We have made great strides in the last few days, so we will approach the subject of the stairs soon and hopefully she will pick it up quickly.

Thanks!

#11 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

We use a squirt bottle too. We actually taught the command "quiet". We would say quiet and then squirt them with the water. After awhile you can just say quiet and they stop. Or I can just pick up the squirt bottle and say nothing and they stop.

Our dogs sleep in our bedroom. I think that is just a personal decision. I feel a lot safer with the dogs sleeping in my room in case of a fire. I want to know I can get them out.

For the stairs I would get some treats and sit two or three stairs up and call her. As soon as she puts her paws on the steps praise her and treat her. Once she gets comfortable with that, move up a few more steps and call her again. She is such a bright little pup, I think she will catch on quickly.

Good luck! :Four Leaf Clover:

My feelings exactly. Except my dobes sleep in the bed. (Don't tell Arda)
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#12 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

My feelings exactly. Except my dobes sleep in the bed. (Don't tell Arda)

Mine too Annie.....well Hunter boy did and
Schaudeh still does.....Shhhhhhh (we won't tell Arda)
although I bet "Prince Charming" did once
or twice...Shhhhhhhh
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"