Photo

Belle needs your prayers and good thoughts...

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

Yep, still doing good so far! Although she's got one hellacious case of nasty, raunchy gas today!! :w00t: :D Well, better out than in, they say. :) I took her to the vet this morning to be weighed and she's gained two pounds over the past week! :flower: She's up to 47.2 lbs., we're shooting for a goal weight of 55 lbs. I'm working a bit of N/D into her diet (it's a food that's high in fat and nutrients) to help her to continue to gain. If she can handle that, then we'll start working her back to her normal kibble diet. She'll continue to be on digestive enzymes and motility drugs, but at least with being on her normal food, she'll be getting more calories and nutrients than being on the low residue food.

Here are a couple of pictures I just shot of her. She was lying on the couch in the sun and looked so peaceful, I just had to capture the moment. I know how you feel, Jane, about feeling like you rant on about the little things. But you're right, every moment we spend with our babies is precious, no matter how insignificant we may think it is. Never be sorry for sharing those moments with everyone. :flower:

Attached File  Belle.jpg   45.14KB   34 downloads

Attached File  Belle2.jpg   61.04KB   34 downloads

Attached File  BelleNose.jpg   41.19KB   27 downloads
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#102 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

She looks so content in the pictures. We're glad to hear she is doing so well. It is amazing what they can overcome!
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#103 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:48 PM

What a doll face! After reading Jane's news this makes me feel a little better.

#104 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:51 PM

I love those pictures. I'm so glad that she is doing better!!!

Michelle & Rusty

#105 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:30 PM

What a beautiful girl. So good to hear that she's doing better. She's one tough cookie. Hope you're able to breathe a little deeper yourself, Mandy.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#106 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:02 PM

Our fingers are crossed and we are still praying for a full recovery. Hugg and Kisses. Arda and the kids
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#107 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:01 AM

Here's hoping for a VERY speedy recovery! I pray she will be back to getting in trouble as soon as possible. She looks too tame in those pics, we want some BELLE ACTION. We know she can do it! :D

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#108 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

Well, Belle's off the n/d. She started to vomit again and was getting really crampy. I don't know what it is about that stuff, but her system just cannot handle it. The vomiting wasn't nearly as bad this time as it was previously, which is good. She threw up only two times over the course of a day and half, and it was mostly bile. The last time she had a vomiting episode while on the n/d, she would vomit at least five times in a single day, and it was large amounts of partially digested food (she wasn't on the motility drugs or digestive enzymes then). The motility drugs seem to be doing a great job at getting the food through her. The enzymes are working great too! I prepared a dish of food for her a couple of hours ahead of time and by the time I was ready to feed it to her, the enzymes had broken it down into mush. Without enzymes, the kibble stays formed even when soaked thoroughly.

I'm going to see if I can wean her off the low residue kibble and onto her regular kibble with the hopes that it won't be too rich and her system will be able to handle it. If that fails, we'll just keep her on the low residue as so far she's pretty comfortable overall on it. The pain-in-the-butt part about the low residue stuff is that she has to eat so much of it to gain/maintain weight that I have to feed her small portions every four hours so as not to overload her GI tract with too much food at once.

She eats every four hours, gets her motolity drugs every 8 hours, gets Gas X and Thyroid meds. every 12 hours and enzymes with every feeding...I've taken to keeping a daily diary of when she gets what (including when she poops!) because I'm having hard time remembering it all!! :) :D :flower:

She has her moments when she's uncomfortable, but overall, she's happy, wants to play, wants to be loved on, has to know what's going on at all times and asks to eat CONSTANTLY! :flower: Every effort I put forth toward making all that possible for her is worth it. :w00t:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#109 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:03 AM

What a good job you are doing, Mandy. My heart goes out to you because I know how time consuming this is. I hope it gets better soon.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#110 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:21 AM

I wish you were closer so we could take a couple of shifts to help out!!! but know we are sending love and white light your way!!!

I also keep a diary when they are sick or on supplements... after while you forget what you gave when...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#111 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

Oh that is wonderful news!!! :)
I am so happy she is feeling better.
You are one awesome mommy! :D

Michelle & Rusty

#112 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

Mandy -

Glad to hear Belle is doing better overall. The diary really helps. I have been keeping one with Betty for the last year - pseudoephedrine 60 mg once a day, DES every 2 days, Vasopressin injection every 3-4 days. Nothing like what you're doing, but even with the little I have to keep track of, if I don't write it down I get confused (old age, you know . . CRS). :D

Hope she continues on this course to a full recovery.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users