7 replies to this topic

#1 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:39 PM

Today marks the 6-month anniversary of my beloved Niko’s passing.

October 27, 1996 – January 6, 2005

I’ll never forget the morning I first laid eyes on you. You looked so sad. I knew I had to call and inquire right away. I asked if I could come to meet you that evening. You welcomed me into your foster home hiding behind a recliner chair. I sat down on the floor. You came over to join me. You rolled over. I found your tickle spot. I fell in love instantly. You gave me a kiss. I asked if I could bring you home.

I’ll never forget the evening you left to go to the Rainbow Bridge. I took the day off work. We ate breakfast. You patiently awaited my side as I shoveled the snow in the driveway. You showed concern as I cried, arranging pictures of my deceased father into a multi collage frame. We went for our evening walk. You rested on your bed. I went about my business. I let you outside. You came in to say goodbye.

Niko was my first Dober girl. She was so very special to me. She came into my home as a skittish 4 year old lacking self-confidence, human trust, and most importantly, love. I didn’t know the details of her past. I never asked. I didn’t want to know. All that mattered was that I was going to give this dog the life that she deserved. After a period of time had passed, and Niko was comfortable knowing that she was at her forever home, she swore she thought she’d died and gone to heaven. I was told by others that Niko was the luckiest dog in the world because she had me as her owner. I took that dog everywhere. We were inseparable. I gave that dog life, a life with no regrets.

Attached File  First_Day_Home.jpg   136.98KB   52 downloads First day in her forever home.

Attached File  Niko_1.jpg   63.89KB   37 downloads A young Niko.

Attached File  Niko_2.jpg   118.84KB   43 downloads One of her favorite things to do.

Attached File  Niko_9.jpg   102.15KB   32 downloads Enjoying a boat ride.

Attached File  Niko_4.jpg   139.49KB   50 downloads The holidays!

Attached File  Niko_5.jpg   292.81KB   56 downloads Island Lake

Attached File  Niko_6.jpg   211.9KB   51 downloads Island Lake

Attached File  Niko_7.jpg   128.51KB   42 downloads Summer 2004

Attached File  Niko_Christmas_05.jpg   229.79KB   32 downloads Christmas 2004

Attached File  Niko_8.jpg   53.33KB   47 downloads Last picture taken, December 28, 2004, at PetsMart

Edited by CAB, 11 February 2006 - 03:41 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:48 AM

Sorry, Cheryl. I looked at all the pictures and I made it through the part where you met Niko. I just couldn't read the part about her last day. It just brings back too many memories of all the last days of all my babies. And Tango ain't getting any younger either.

Just know that I grieve with you. Big hugs coming your way. She was a beautiful creature just made for you.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:14 AM

Oh Cheryl, I'm sitting at work crying, trying to read this. Niko and you had a special relationship. You both loved each other totally. You both found each other at the exact right time. and had a wonderful life together. Just know you gave her the best life and she will be waiting for you at the bridge.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#4 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:29 PM

Cheryl....
It is shown in the pictures that you were Niko's life and love, her life support. My heart grieves with you, over both of our recent losses. Know that my heart goes out to you, and that your story of Niko reaches my soul....
All my love to you, DC...
~CC~

#5 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:49 PM

The growing smile on that dog's face as the years went by is a true testament to your life with her. So sorry that you had to see her go...and it's always much too early.

**hugs**

Mandy, Gunner, Belle, Katie & Inca
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#6 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:55 PM

Cheryl,

I do share your sadness. I sent my beloved Sadie to the Bridge just a year ago June 21. That day brought back all the grief I thought was going away. I'm so glad I have Rudy to help & I'm glad that you have Cocoa. They can't replace our lost ones but they sure help fill the void & they are much loved. Thanks for your post & the pictures--Niko was a beauty.

#7 Indian Neighbor

Indian Neighbor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:29 PM

Cheryl,
Thanks for sharing Niko's life with us, I'm sure She is hearing all of the prayers being said for you both tonight...
In my thoughts,
Becky

#8 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:47 PM

Cheryl,
Thanks for sharing Nikos story with us. The time we have with our dogs is never enough, she always be remembered.

Larry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users