#1 gerty's mom

gerty's mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

2-28-18

Hi Arda,

I am hoping you can shed some light for me.  Gerty just turned 7 this month.  I adopted her 7 years ago from you. 

She has been the best Doberman I have had.  My daughter, son-inlaw and 2 older granddaughters live with me.  We

have all been together since I adopted Gerty.  Just recently Gerty was laying in her pillow and my daughter was petting

her, and she bite her on the face.  She caught her forehead and eyelid.  Just last week the same thing happened. She 

was laying on the foot of my bed, my daughter tossed her a treat and was petting her and she snapped at her again.

I am having a very hard time with this.  I don't understand why.  Can you shed some light??  Is it because she is getting

older or could it be her eye sight?  I don't know what to do.

#2 dobie sunshine

dobie sunshine

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

http://www.sonic.net...brary/alpha.htm

PLESSE READ THIS ARTICAL ABOVE. Even though you and your family have been a part of her pack for 7 years, she may be trying to be in control of her pack.

I would definitely make a vet appointment for her also to make sure there is not some other cause for her outbursts of aggression.

Please keep her off your furniture she needs to learn she is at the bottom of the pecking order and be very careful with her. Crate her and only let her out to go potty and to eat. Don't let her have run of the house. When she is in the house put her on a leash and tie her up to something, she needs to learn that you are in control of her and that she is not in control of you. Also make sure she is getting enough exercise.
Good luck and PLEASE keep us informed.

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

I hope you will take her in for a thorough vet checkup that includes a complete blood panel, thyroid testing, a cardiac checkup, evaluation of eyesight, etc.  Tell the vet what is happening.  There are health conditions that can cause behavioral issues in dogs.

The two incidents you describe took place (1) when she was on what you describe as "her" pillow, and, (2), when she was eating a treat she was given (and perhaps also on what she considered to be "her" bed?)  This sounds like guarding behavior, but it's puzzling that it would suddenly develop at her age.  Can you think of anything at all that has changed about her environment or routine?

Regardless of the cause (and I have no idea what that could be just from your one post), there have been a couple of incidents, and I think caution around her is warranted, by all family members.  I would suggest not trying to pet her or interact with her while she is in a place that you have designated as "hers," like a dog bed, crate, etc.  I believe in giving dogs their own space where they know they can rest in peace and quiet, but she should not believe she owns all of the furniture in the house.  If that is the case, it needs to be addressed.  Likewise, when she is eating, don't try to pet her, even if it's just a treat.  Something has changed, we don't know what, but everyone needs to be careful.

This is all JMO.  I am not a training or behavioral expert.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#4 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

Any updates on Gerty?  I've been thinking about you, as I'm sure others here have.  I did want to make one clarification in my post above.  I left out a word.  When I said "guarding behavior," I meant to say "resource-guarding behavior," just in case that wasn't clear.

Edited by Cheri, 06 March 2018 - 06:58 PM.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users