28 replies to this topic

#1 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:00 PM

The Wolfer family made the journey over to make Tatoo a very happy boy. Congrads on your new addition and we look forward to updates and pictures.

Attached Files

#2 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

Awesome. So many new homes. Posted Image

Way to go.

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#3 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

Congratulations Tattoo and the Wolfer family! :whistling:
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#4 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

Yea, Tattoo :whistling: The kids are estactic! Tattoo resembles the "Little Rascals" dog, in that he looks like he's been with them forever and is ready for lots of fun. A very happy ending for all. The little girl in the middle seems like she's about to burst she's so excited!

Great photo!

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#5 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

Congrats Tatoo you got a family of your own :whistling:
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#6 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

The Wolfer family made my day when they decided to give Tatoo a try! All the kids loved him right off the bat, but little Kaylen was so proud to show off her new dog, she is going to take a picture of him to take to school :whistling: You can see from the picture how pleased Tatoo was with his choice of family. Thank you Wolfers, and keep us updated!

Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#7 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:38 AM

Posted Image

Tatoo.....I am so happy for you. Look how many kids are going to be taking care of you. Congrats on your forever home

Michelle & Rusty

#8 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:29 AM

Hooray!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#9 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:15 AM

Congratulations everyone looks so happy together! :whistling:

Larry

#10 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

Great looking group & they all look so proud! Congrats :)

#11 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

Thank you once again for all your help and information. Tattoo did really well on the drive home and when introducing him to all the neighborhood dogs and children. My kids are just in love with him! He seems to have a great temperment around everyone. We will continue to watch and observe tatoo and give you feedback. I did have one question, we have not heard Tattoo bark(which is not necessarily a bad thing). Did you notice if he ever barked during his stay at 2nd chance dobes?
Well, we are off to the dog wash. After the wash will be a good brushing. We want to get a good feel for how much he will shed.

Thanks again,

The Wolfers

#12 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

Congratulation to Tatoo and the Wolfer family. You all look so happy. keep us posted with stories and pictures.

Posted Image

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#13 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:58 PM

I did have one question, we have not heard Tattoo bark(which is not necessarily a bad thing).  Did you notice if he ever barked during his stay at 2nd chance dobes? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know Tatoo at all but I do remember Arda calling his name to quiet him down the day the jastubbs family came out. But then again, all the dogs were barking so what do I know! :) It was very loud inside the kennel if you can just imagine! No really, I think he was barking. Swamp Mama (Arda) will know for sure if he is a barker or not.

Edited by CAB, 16 May 2005 - 10:03 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#14 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:38 PM

I'm so happy for Tatoo. Such a dollface and loves to play!! What a happy ending this is!! Thanks for the update. I'm glad he is doing so well already!! :)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#15 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

Wolfers,
Just give Tatoo a little time to get adjusted and you'll probably start to hear some barking. One consideration is that his previous people made him wear a de-bark collar, which would shock him if he barked (ugly thought, I know) and that would make him not want to bark now. Just a thought, but give him time. In regard to shedding, try brushing him out with the shedding blade I explained about. You can always take him to a groomer and have them blow out his coat to remove all the dead hairs and even trim him up a little. He doesn't appear to be a big shedder even though he probably hasn't been groomed at all in a long time. Please keep us posted on his progress! You've made my day!

Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#16 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:46 PM

OMG! I debark collar? I don't want to hear anymore. Only the good stuff. So glad that Tatoo has found the loving family that he deserves.

-Arda Barber

#17 tatoo

tatoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:59 PM

Board,

Thank you for all the good wishes and support. Tatoo is adjusting to his new home. Our kids just love him. He has been on many walks, to the dog wash and has fetched many balls! He is great with our kids.

We did have an incident today with some of the neighborhood kids. An adult is always observing Tatoo when playing in our yard. When a neighbor kid comes into the yard he is on a leash wih one of us. Today, he nipped at a little girl who tried to pet him while I was holding the leash and he growled when two other boys came into the yard to see him. I explained to the girl that she had to let him sniff her hand before petting him, but she did not want to pet him again.

I am concerned about the growling. Not really knowing his past, I am looking for suggestions on how to handle this growling. Our plans are to incorporate electric fence training once he is adjusted to the yard(and when we feel comfortable letting him in the yard by himself). An electric fence is a barrier for the dog but not for the neighbor kids and I am concerned that this might turn into some type of aggression.

We would appreciate any input. We really want this to work.

The Wolfers

#18 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:11 AM

FIRST LET ME CONGRATULATE YOU!!! You are doing a wonderful job supervising and it is wonderful to hear!!! So many times we hear about their problems but no one was helping the dog to succeed and then they get returned. Doesn't sound like this will happen with Tatoo and I commend you!!! :LOL: :) :o And keep asking questions!!! We all love to help out!!! :P

It sounds like Tatoo is excited to be meeting some new people and is expressing this in the way dogs do, with their teeth... Sometimes it's just because they feeling a little insecure in their new environment especially if it's very active and with 3 children I'm sure it is. This doesn't mean he can't adjust but it may take some time... These are two very different problems but can, hopefully, be easily worked through with a little time and effort on your part.

You can start working with the nipping very easily and that is to hand feed him, one piece of kibble at a time. OMG, dinner will take forever, you're thinking!!! :) and it will for a few days at least. But the only way he gets to eat anything is directly from one of the family. If he gets over-enthusiastic and nips you, then yip at him or loudly say "Ouch"! let him settle down, and go back to feeding by hand. This is a time commitment, in the beginning. And you will want each member of the family to go through the process so he learns that "all members of the family have the control". But you will be able to go back to dish feeding, I promise. It will all depend on how he is progressing, if he starts to get excited and nips, then back to hand feeding. He has to learn (and probably was never taught) that you "don't bite the hand that feeds you". As he settles down and starts taking the pieces nicely, then make it a little harder, make him lick it out of your finger, and then when he does well, jackpot him and give him a handful of food... If you clicker train, you can even click him when he is particularly gentle. He will get the idea that the food will come faster if he is gentle about it. The last two fosters before Harley (chocolate lab 8 m.o. puppy; and 2 y.o. Weim/Visla mix puppy) had this problem and I got them both through it with relative few problems (one in a couple of days), no missing fingers on my part, and just good bonding time spent with the dogs.

The growling is a different matter but also is somewhat easily addressed. You know he likes kids because he is doing well with yours... You can recruit all the kids in the neighborhood for this even the little girl who didn't want to get close to him again. Have the kids approach him quietly (kids running up and yelling etc can also be very frightening to any dog) but have them stop outside his current "growl" range whether that 5 ft, 10 ft, or 2 ft. Have the kids throw (easy underhand throws; not pitching) treats at him for a few minutes and have them turn around and walk away. Make sure he knows the treats are coming from the kids and make them good ones like chunks of hot dog. Don't give him any treats as they are walking away, you want him to associate their approach with good things. You can move to another part of the yard and do something different before you click/treat (c/t) him... The next day try a little closer but don't rush it. You can also c/t when he looks at the kids and doesn't bark/growl. Eventually the kids will be able to approach and give him the treat directly.

Playing the attention game (see the post under Training) is also a great way to shift his attention from the kids (or anything approaching that may look scary) to you. You could modify it so that when you say the family member's name he looks at THAT person so you could eventually shift his attention to whomever you like...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#19 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:13 AM

Also a quick lesson in "how to approach a new dog" may be necessary for the kids in the neighborhood.

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#20 tatoo

tatoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:21 AM

Thank you for the suggestions and support. Keep them coming, this board is such a great thing. Well, we have started on working on Tatoo's growling and nipping issues (with the neighborhood kids) with your suggestions.
Tatoo is starting to show more confidence in our house as his tail is starting to wag when walking around. He continues to be very good around our kids but he is VERY skiddish around the neighbor kids. Even when they are just playing in the back yard and ignoring Tatoo. Hopefully, over time, he will make this adjustment to our neighborhood.
Up to this point, we have accompanied Tatoo out in our back yard on a leash or on a 50 ft. rope. Also, during the day when no neighborhood kids are around, we have played with Tatoo without the leash or rope. My question is a what point should we begin electric fence training. We were thinking that he should become comfortable with the yard before starting this training. Any suggestions as to when we should start this training?

Thanks to all board participants,

The Wolfers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users