30 replies to this topic

#1 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

Well it was our first night at Obedience and once he got a little bit of growling out of his system, he did awesome. I had no idea of what to expect, but what happenned throughout the night eased my mind and made me really proud of him.
We didn't do alot, after all it was the first night but the ground work has been laid and as long as things progress like I feel they will, this was definitely the right decision for me. When you get compliments on your dog it feels alot like when your child does a first of something ( So Proud)!!!
The trainer said right off the bat how good looking of a boy he was. These things no matter how silly it sounds, you take it personally like you had something to do with it. He is definitely the biggest boy in his class! There is another young Dobe. and a Boxer, Yellow Lab, Golden Retriver, Chocolate Lab, Sheltie, Aussie mix, couple o fBlk. Labs and a young Rottie. He did very well and I'm anxious for the next class already. I hope I haven't gone on for too long but you know I feel like a proud poppa!!

I will definitely update weekly if I don't get told to STOP!!

Talk to you all soon: Scott

Edited by scott, 31 May 2006 - 07:54 PM.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." - Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899

#2 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Great JOB.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#3 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:50 PM

Del is great for positive reinforcement!!

I'm so glad everything went well!! We'll see you in Competitive soon!! :rolleyes:
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#4 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

I will definitely update weekly if I don't get told to STOP!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're never get told to stop. :rolleyes: We demand weekly updates on how the Duff is doing in obedience class! :wub:
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#5 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

Here is where you really get hooked. The bonding takes over the memories of the torn up pillow or stuffie. The pride starts to make a real fool of you and you know you own the best Dobermann in the world. Bar nun.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#6 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

and you know you own the best Dobermann in the world.  Bar nun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Arda, Scott won't be able to know this, because I already own the best Doberman in the world. :rolleyes:

Scott --keep the updates coming!!! It's good to hear Duffy had fun in class. It's hard when you don't know what to expect. Kenny's first class is tonight. I expect a lot of whining and wiggling. (and Arda is right...there is an amazing amount of bonding during obedience classes)
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

#7 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

Sorry guys
But I know that I have the best doberman in the world.

Edited by ella, 01 June 2006 - 11:00 AM.

Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#8 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:20 AM

I think you are all wrong....I have the
BEST
doberman in the world!!
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#9 Thormannix

Thormannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:14 AM

I would love to hear about how Duffy is doing. Mannix starts his class next week. I am a little nervous about him growling also. He is so big he scares people to death and when he growls it is even worse!!
Keep me updated!
Stephanie

#10 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:12 PM

BUT, .. we have THE BEST Doberlady, the Dober BEST Friend, and the Best Dober Wanna-Be. :D :wub:

and please, keep us posted on the all the fun at obediance classes :) :rolleyes: .. I know I sure do miss going.
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#11 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:27 PM

Well the second night of obedience has come and gone and all and all Duffy did a decent job. It seems to always take him about 10 mins. or so to adjust to having all of the other dogs around and then he's O.K.
He's very good with all of the commands we've learnt so far. The lady that is there watching as the class goes on stood between Duffy and a Rottweiller that she had noticed eyeing Duff up which was good because she came over just as Duffy noticed the other dog giving him the glare and I had to give him a little snap with the collar to pay attention to me not the other dog. I'm really impressed with how well he does listen to me, he definitely knows his place which is great. I actually think Sophie has helped as she puts him in his place when he needs it.
She is actually the one that shows agression towards other dogs as she really tries to be dominant over any dog around. We're working on that with her.
We learnt the stay command and down which are a couple I've worked on already and he did really well. As soon as he can get over the initial entry with all the other dogs he settles down well! Duffy got called to stay after class it was like deja vu but for me! :rolleyes: :wub:
The trainor let me take a pinch collar home to try and it was like night and day!!
I tried him when I got home with his new collar and he did so well, it was incredible!! The lady in class that has the female Dobe. said as soon as she put the pinch collar on her girl the improvement was immediate. The little Dobergirl is only 7 Mths. old and about half the size of my big lug! Wether big or small wouldn't be without him for anything!! Oh well enough already there' s no class next week so I'll update in a couple!

See ya Later:Scott
"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." - Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899

#12 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:46 PM

I'm glad it's going well. Marion (the lady) keeps a sharp eye on what's going on and is very good at reading body language.

If you would like to get into tracking - let me know... We're starting up again soon.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#13 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:17 AM

The tracking sounds fun.
Do you know what night it will be on?
Where is it done?
Are there lots of dogs involved in this?
I want to find as many things as possible to keep this big guy busy, & it's so very true that the more of this you do with your dogs the more you want to do. I've had Duffy for 3 Mths. but it definitely feels like he's been here a lot longer and the bonding we've done in the 2 nights of Obedience and the feelings you are made feel feel by these guys is amazing!! Anyways if you can get me the info. Stef I would definitely see if I could do the tracking.

#14 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

Apparently there might be agility in Blenheim as well ... I'm crossing my fingers.

There's a group of us ... the actual number fluctuates depending on who's available. The training cost is 30$ per hour split by however many dogs are there. We usually do 2 hours or so - that gets about 4 tracks in.

We do it all year - I'm sure we looked like idiots standing around in -20 weather, but it's a lot of fun and it's social. I bought boots rated to -50 last year just so I could stand around in the cold for a couple hours on the weekends! *laughing*

We do scent tracking on a line where the dogs follow a scent on the ground. It's wild to watch and our trainer is SO positive and happy! (He's an x-K9 officer.) Michelle goes (with all the Shilohs), Barb with her poodle, sometimes Don and Daylene with their chocolate lab and then Tux and I when we're not totally busy. I think Larry has been going with his shepherd too.

They have extra harnesses and stuff to use. I'll let you know the next time we're going and even if you wanted to go and watch.

#15 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:53 AM

Sounds Great Stef!
I would definitely like to go and watch to see if it might be something of interest.

Talk to you later: Scott

#16 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Tracking sounds like a blast. Prince is always using his nose for everything and I think he would love doing something like this.

I'm hoping to find a class in my neck of the woods...

#17 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

O.K. so here we are after his third class of obedience, and for the most part did O.K. He as always has a little adjustment period but it seems to be getting to be a shorter period of time with each class. We really worked on the down and stay commands as well as stand and stay, sit and stay along with the regular heel, sit and come. I did have a rather embarassing moment when Duffy was about the third dog to decide it was a good time and place for him to have bowel movement. I was wearing a red shirt, it was good because I think it camouflaged my face!! I atleast know exactly why he did it. He hates to get his tender little feet wet so guess what he saved it up for the perfect time :) :) !
Duffy, once settled does so well and performs all of his stay commands very well!
Del the trainor spoke with me and asked if I felt comfortable putting Duffy down to the ground and holding him down, to really push my Dominance onto him. Del really stressed that he wanted me to only attempt this if I felt completely comfortable in doing it, and also that someone else should be close by just in case. I told him I felt completely comfortable and that I know he would never in a million years bite me or anyone else. So when I got home tonight I took him downstairs got him to lie down and grabbed him put him down and held him, No Problem at all! I knew it wouldn't be. Duffy has never shown me any signs that would ever make me feel wary of doing this or anything else with him. Del feels that why he barks so much at the other dogs is because he feels he really wants to be Pack leader so if I can keep putting him down about 4 or 5 times a day he'll soon understand he is definitely not. I trust Del completely so I will do this but never felt in any way has he ever challenged me! He's a big dog but he listens to me and when I correct him he knows he's being corrected! I know he's going to conquer the whole being around other dogs, I'm conviced of it and committed to it!
Anyways that's really all for now but I'll be back again next week to give another update.

#18 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:58 PM

Well It's Wednesday night once again and we have put our 4th class behind us.
Tonight I was so proud of him, he did really well!! It started out just walking around the perimeter and basically using the heel and sit commands. He always does fairly well with these. Then we did the stay commands in which he also did very well with. Then they brought out the distractions, squeaky toys, tennis balls Etc. He really did do quite well and considering how much he likes to play ball I thought he did great! Then we had our dogs Sit/Stay the trainor would hold onto the leash and I would walk away to the other end of the room and call him to come. I think we had everyone in class laughing because it takes him about 2 bounds and he's already ontop of me at the other end of the class :) :)
He did do really well with this especially with all the other dogs present while this is going on. Then we got to the walking in between all of the other dogs and their handlers. This I was a little concerned but he did so good!! Not a Bark or Growl!! "So Proud"!!! Especially with how he had shown dog aggression prior to this. We did alot of this walking and then suddenly turnig 1 way going between other dogs and giving way to some. I'm really amazed with how far he's come in a short period of time. We did alot of long stays sitting,standing and sitting!!
I'm starting to get a swelled head with all the people that come up to us and say what a good looking dobe he is. Then Del our trainor told me the same thing and I tell you my face lit up with a grin from ear to ear!! It's amazing how many ways these dogs can affect you in so many great ways!!
Now I'm really considering trying his CGC in August!!

#19 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

He'll be fine!! By the end of this session you'll be all set - plus we'll simulate the exam here before August so that you know you can do it! :)

#20 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:39 PM

I agree with Stef. You and Duffy will be just fine! I'd love to see Duffy again. I sure do hope you'll consider coming in August and give the CGC a shot!

Edited by CAB, 28 June 2006 - 08:47 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users