#1 Thormannix

Thormannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:23 AM

Chief is driving my parents crazy!!
Every time they let him out in the yard he runs through the yard barking at everything and won't stop when he is told to. That however is minor compared to what he does when they call him to come in. He actually looks at them and then runs the other way(Since it is not my dog it makes me laugh but they don't see the humor!). This really angers my Mom because she is used to dogs that do whatever she says!
Any suggestions on what may be causing this behavior and what they can do to change it?
Thank you for your help!
Stephanie

#2 aanderson

aanderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:35 AM

I would suggest they take him to obedience training classes. Petsmart has them as do a lot of pet stores. This will help them train him to do as they tell him and also to bond and get rid of a lot of energy. Just a suggestion! Good Luck!

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

He's playing with them. Jane uses an electric collar. It peeps and the dog comes back. Roscoe used to do it to me til I would be in tears. Samanthia does it to me but shake a bag of cookies and she comes running. Use a long line. They make long leashes that you give a call and a jerk til the dog catches on.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

Tessa USED to do this. She used to run through the house like a tornado for 10 min. Now after a week of training she comes in and immediately goes to her cage for a 10 min. time out to dry her feet etc. I placed her crate right beside the door, she automatically runs in there, and of course myself or my children, hubby all point to it as soon as she starts running to the door, we say "cage" and she does it. It did take a week or so of training but it works!! As far as barking, Tessa rarely ever barks. She never runs off, she is too scared to let us out of her sight. As long as she can spot us she feels safe. I bet out of the 5 mo we have had Tessa, I have heard her bark less than 10 times. On the other hand I have an old dachsie who does nothing but bark!!
Melissa K.

#5 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:08 PM

Kenny, my little angel, would do the same thing. I tried a squirt gun for his barking but he figured out how long of a range I had...grrrrrr...I"m sure the neighbors got a good laugh. He wouldn't come in when he was called either. We did obedience too...he's just a stinker. After Akina got here....I got shock collars. One little shock and Kenny never barked at the neighbors again. And he comes in when he's called.
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

#6 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:42 PM

I used a supersoaker for the barking. It means you have to be out there - but they learn quickly.

Obedience will help with the not coming when called and having treats in the pocket offers a little "encouragement". :) Long lines you can buy at TSC - look for the horse lunge lines. They come in a whole bunch of colours (important to me who needs to accessorize her dogs in the appropriate colours :thumbsup: ).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#7 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

I have a terrible time with my dogs barking and have tore all the flower beds up in the back of the yard and destroyed the protective fencing. I can't get on their cases and try to teach them to stop barking as the idiots behind me have made it their mission to feed every vermin in a 20 mile radius. The barking is the least of the problems as all these squirrels and such carry a ton of diseases and all they feed them is corn which has no nutrition at all and therefore they're fat, but not healthy. Yesterday I counted 15 squirrels in their yard. We have no support from the Village of Lake Orion and it is just the most frustrating situation. I can't blame the dogs for this and even attempt to train them at the moment.

#8 Thormannix

Thormannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

Does anybody have a suggestion as to the name brand of collar to buy? My Dad went to look at them and said there were at least 5 different kinds.
Steph

#9 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

I don't remember which brand it was, but my brother uses one on his Lab that he likes because the remote "zapper" is small, like a key fob, and he can be very subtle about buzzing him.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#10 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

:thumbsup: Arda Bee didn't like to come in when I called her and I did the treat with her. Now all you have to do is open the door and she appears......the barking is another story. Do the collars really shock or just send a interruption?
Lorie

#11 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

:thumbsup: Arda Bee didn't like to come in when I called her and I did the treat with her. Now all you have to do is open the door and she appears......the barking is another story. Do the collars really shock or just send a interruption?
Lorie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They shock...but for some dogs, it's the only thing that works. It's better than having a flat dog on the road who wouldn't come back when called.

My German Shorthaired Pointer was one of those dogs who wouldn't come back for anything. She was perfect on a long line. Would come every time when called. As soon as that leash was unsnapped, she was gone. She quickly learned every trick in the book for getting her back. I was the only one who could catch her (she had a penchant for mouse hunting in our mini barn and would eagerly go in making it easy for me to catch her). I never did get a remote trainer to work with her, but I'm fairly certainly that would have been the only thing that would have taught her to come off leash.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#12 karendobe

karendobe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

[quote name='Javaluva' date='Feb 23 2007, 01:44 PM']They shock...but for some dogs, it's the only thing that works.  It's better than having a flat dog on the road who wouldn't come back when called.

My German Shorthaired Pointer was one of those dogs who wouldn't come back for anything.  She was perfect on a long line.  Would come every time when called.  As soon as that leash was unsnapped, she was gone. She quickly learned every trick in the book for getting her back.  I was the only one who could catch her (she had a penchant for mouse hunting in our mini barn and would eagerly go in making it easy for me to catch her).  I never did get a remote trainer to work with her, but I'm fairly certainly that would have been the only thing that would have taught her to come off leash.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]
[QUOTE]

If you're going to use a shock collar on a dobe, or any dog for that matters, you better know what you're doing!

Anyone with a dobe needs to know that they are high energy dogs! They need exercise and will tend to bark more if they're bored. Obedience work is the best solution! I have a male that loves to run around in the yard, especially if he's out by himself, and bark. If I say quiet, he barks! If I yell quiet, he barks! I was told by Dan Morris, a dog trainer in Livonia, who used to train dobes while in the Air Force many years ago, to take a coke can, drop about 10 pennies in it, wrap the open end with duck tape so the pennies won't come out. When the dog is barking, be outside, throw the can at the dog and hit him with it! You must say "No" or some other word so that the dog can associate the sound of the can with the work you're using. Make sure you say "No" when the can hits against the dog! After that, all the dog has to do is hear you shake that can and he'll knock it off. If I'm outside with my dogs, all I have to do is keep the can in my jacket pocket, shake it, and they stop whatever it was that they were doing.

Obedience is your best bet for coming; and the treat idea is excellent as a reward after calling to them while on the long lead!

#13 Thormannix

Thormannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:22 AM

My parents went to Dan Morris also, Chief is there 3rd Doberman so they know all the quirks about Dobermans. We made them a can which they tried, Chief's response was to look at it and run the other direction. They do give him treats when he comes in but he STILL won't come in until he is good and ready to come in.
My parents have never had a Doberman who was not well trained. Chief clearly thinks he is in charge! They do not have any problem with him in the house it is only outside that he will not listen to them.

#14 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

Rudy is like Chief--fine in the house but outside won't listen for anything. I've tried the treats, I've tried sweet talk, I've tried not so sweet talk. The only way I can get him to come in if he wants to stay out, is to ask him if he wants to go for a walk. Of course, the only time I can use that is if I actually can take him. I'm getting desparate, too, 'cause I've been late for work more than once trying to catch the :thumbsup: I've finally resorted to a tie-out when I absolutely can't wait for him to be ready. ANY advise would be appreciated. (Plus, he can climb the fence so I REALLY need to be able to get him to come.)

#15 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:43 AM

Rudy is like Chief--fine in the house but outside won't listen for anything.  I've tried the treats, I've tried sweet talk, I've tried not so sweet talk.  The only way I can get him to come in if he wants to stay out, is to ask him if he wants to go for a walk.  Of course, the only time I can use that is if I actually can take him.  I'm getting desparate, too, 'cause I've been late for work more than once trying to catch the :thumbsup:  I've finally resorted to a tie-out when I absolutely can't wait for him to be ready.  ANY advise would be appreciated.  (Plus, he can climb the fence so I REALLY need to be able to get him to come.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never have a problem getting him to come in!!! Maybe he doesn't like my yard as much... LOL

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#16 karendobe

karendobe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

I never have a problem getting him to come in!!!  Maybe he doesn't like my yard as much... LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had three dobes myself, and they're all different! Obedience work shouldn't stop with working breed dogs. I don't mean that we should continue to go to obedience classes, but I do feel that we need to work these dogs on a regular basis, at home, etc. When we work them, we're establishing a bond, and we're also setting demands on them at the same time, which is telling them that we're the boss. My male dobe is 4 and he's a big boy! In order for me to be able to handle him, and in order for him to be happy in "my house", I've had to work with him much more than any of the other dobes I've had. He's head strong, and sassy.........so, I make him work for his food, make him sit to wipe his chin after eating, make him sit to put his coat on him, etc. I make him skoot in heal position while holding his food bowl.....he's so pumped up for that food, but I make him work for it, which is telling him that I'm the boss! While skooting, if he goes past my toes, I tell him "back" (scoot back), and than forward again. Actually, it's fun to do with him! By me implementing these demands on him, he's much more loyal to me. They love to work! I tend to be too easy on my dobes and I'm pretty kissie face with them, but I realized they'll get the best of me if I let them. Since working more consistently with my male, he shows more interest in one on one with me, and more of a desire to want to please me. They're very sensitive, and if your parents dobe is from a rescue, who knows what he's been through. All I'm trying to do is discourage them from a shock collar. It may cause other problems for them with the dog.

I have a female dobe who could probably get over a 5 ft fence. She's not a climber, but a jumper. She's very average in size. I put a 6 ft privacy fence around my entire yard. I don't want to worry about whether she's still in the yard or not! If you already have a cyclone fence up, an idea would be to attach wood fence panels to the inside of the fence.

Depending on how old the dog is that climbs the fence, you may not be able to teach the dog to come all the time.

#17 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

If you're going to use a shock collar on a dobe, or any dog for that matters, you better know what you're doing!

Anyone with a dobe needs to know that they are high energy dogs!  They need exercise and will tend to bark more if they're bored.  Obedience work is the best solution!  I have a male that loves to run around in the yard, especially if he's out by himself, and bark.  If I say quiet, he barks!  If I yell quiet, he barks!  I was told by Dan Morris, a dog trainer in Livonia, who used to train dobes while in the Air Force many years ago, to take a coke can, drop about 10 pennies in it, wrap the open end with duck tape so the pennies won't come out.  When the dog is barking, be outside, throw the can at the dog and hit him with it!  You must say "No" or some other word so that the dog can associate the sound of the can with the work you're using.  Make sure you say "No" when the can hits against the dog!  After that, all the dog has to do is hear you shake that can and he'll knock it off.  If I'm outside with my dogs, all I have to do is keep the can in my jacket pocket, shake it, and they stop whatever it was that they were doing.

Obedience is your best bet for coming; and the treat idea is excellent as a reward after calling to them while on the long lead!

I guess I should have been clearer. I'm not advocating the use of a shock collar in all situations where a dog won't come. I've never used a shock collar on any dog, not even my GSP, simply because I didn't know how to use one and didn't, at the time, have someone versed in their use to show me.

As long as my GSP was on a long line or leash attached to me, she was a perfectly trained little angel. As soon as that leash came off (and she knew the difference whether she wore a 50 long line or a tab), she would bolt. Treats wouldn't lure her. Car rides wouldn't lure her. Toys wouldn't lure her. You name it, she wouldn't come for anything even though she knew very well what "come" meant.

I think all training methods should be exhausted before one goes to a shock collar for results. I think every dog should be evaluated on a case by case basis as no two are ever the same, and what works for one may not work for another.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#18 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

While I agree a shock collar is better than a dead dog, I am really apprehensive of them because of too many horror stories. You really have to know what you're doing with those collars and if they even work correctly. My next store neighbor rescues pugs and had one that was a biter; she knows what she's doing with those collars, but got a defective one, which ended up burning the dog's neck. Another neighbor had a boxer that barked; they get a shock collar don't know what they're doing, shock the dog too much and it never barked again. My next door neighbor that just moved had some kind of herding dog that was just a screamer (it's part of their breed); again, they didn't know how to use the collar properly and every time they shocked the dog, it yelped. Finally, I asked them to stop doing it as it really upset me and they did. I can't help but think I would try every avenue possible before a shock collar.

#19 duboisdobes

duboisdobes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

Do you guys think that an electric fence is the same as a shock collar? I never let my husband us a shock collar on Ellen, but her running away can be challenging. I was going to have an electric fence installed this spring, in my mind I justified an eclectic fence because of the training and the consistent boundary. I just didn't like the fact that she could be shock at different boundaries with a collar alone. She isn't deaf or dumb, just inquisitive :thumbsup: and 99% of the time she is an angel, but that 1% could be the death of her. We know several people that have an electric fence and they seem to work well....but I don't want to wreck my baby.

#20 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

I don't know too much about electric fences, but I again think pain is the basis of it. I have had a couple of people tell me that they had dogs that would take the hit and cross it after something; oh I can so envision Coby doing that. The only other problem is in the case of a power failure and you don't know it which happened to an old neighbor which just turned out to be hysterical. Both dogs were huge (one was a St. Bernard) and she was rather short and rotund and the chase scene had us all in stitches. She called in back up and of course the neighbors and those dogs had a ball giving us a run for our money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users