10 replies to this topic

#1 Melinda

Melinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

8 years ago we met Josie, aloof and seemingly uninterested in us.  We had to pick her up and place her in the back seat of our car at 2nd Chance Dobes.  She could have cared less if she was coming home with us.  Arda offered to let us bring her back if she didn't work out.   I understood why she was concerned, but I had fallen head over heels in love with this dog posted as "Julie" and I never doubted for a minute she would fall in love with us too, once we got her home.  It took well over a year.  She was very polite and very well mannered, but had apparently already given her heart away and she was waiting for the return of her first master.  Then....Josie become terribly ill....days at the dog hospital, and finally able to come home, I picked her up, and once again placed her in my backseat.  But things had changed, Josie, through her illness, had come to the realization that we were not going to give up on her.  She had finally decided to fall 100% back in love with us...and so it went.  8 wonderful, incredible years with this amazing dog.  She is 12 now.  Last night the vet told us it was time.  She is full of tumors, and her bowels are closing down.  We asked for two more days.  He gave her steroids,  she is laying at my feet now.  I have two more days to love on the most amazing dog God has ever graced me with.  Then I will walk her to the bridge, and unclip her lead, and she will run free of pain, up and over to find Sadie, and Jasmine, and all those that went before her.  Second Chance Dobes, I just want to say, you trusted me to take this amazing dog home, and I did you proud.  I made this dog the happiest dog alive.  And now I will make the last decision I will ever have to make for her, the decision to end her pain and send her on.  Run free, dear Josie.  You always were the fastest, the prettiest, the most incredible.  And you will remain so, forever in my heart.

"Happiness is best pursued at a full gallop."

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

Oh Melinda, I'm so sorry for you.  Thank you for giving her all the love someone else couldn't.  The memories you have are yours forever. They can not be taken away.  She will be pain free and waiting for you at the bridge.  Our prayers go out for you.  Thank you so much for carrying for her so much.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

I am so sorry you are facing this--it's one of the hardest decisions we have to make as pet lovers. I went back & read Josie's new beginning. She is a beautiful girl & it sounds as though she's had a wonderful life. My heart is with you.  :Rose:

#4 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  It is heart-wrenching when we are faced with the knowledge that we must say good-bye to a beloved dog who has been such a big part of our lives for so many years.  Sending you wishes of strength and peace as you face this difficult time. :Rose:

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#5 ohiodobe

ohiodobe

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:56 AM

Your loving tribute to Josie made me cry. She was so lucky you never gave up on earning her love. I am so sorry for the loss you are facing. The gift of her love was not easy for her to give but when she gave you her love it was truly a treasure. Linda
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principle difference between a dog and a man." ---- Mark Twain

#6 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

So sorry for your loss, you gave Josie a wonderful life and she gave you love, and joy in return.

Thank you for giving her comfort and love. They are never here long enough for us.

Run Free Josie :Rose:  My heart goes out to you.

#7 Melinda

Melinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

I have been trying to attach a picture but my camera wont send.  Anyway, I just want to say that we took Josie in last Friday evening.  The vet came out to our car.  It was truly the most peaceful death I have ever experienced.  My husband and I both held Josie as the Dr. administered the injection.  Josie sighed and was gone.  Truly one of the hardest days of my life, but I wouldn't trade a single tear for even one of the days I was allowed to be Josie's mom.  I am forever changed by the heart of this dog.  Thanks to each of you for your kind words.  Only a true Doberman lover can understand the depth of our loss.

#8 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

I'm so sorry Melinda. Josie did have a wonderful life- thanks to you. She was a beautiful girl. If you want, you can email me a picture and I will post it. doberpagegirl(at)yahoo.com Run free Josie...

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#9 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

So sorry for your loss ❤
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#10 Melinda

Melinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

Attached File  josies stone.jpg   23.02KB   0 downloads

#11 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

That's beautiful.  I know Josie took a big piece of your heart with her when she had to leave, but it is not an empty space.  It is now filled with loving memories of the years you shared together.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users