35 replies to this topic

#1 Kiah's mom

Kiah's mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

Now the devil puppy :D is tormenting our 4 y/o pointer, Chester. Kiah has begun chewing any collar we put on Chester. This morning she chewed off the invisible fence collar!!! This is the second time is 3 days. The first collar is w/ the dealer for repairs. We have tried Bitter Apple, but she has learned--if you wait until it dries, it's not too bad. I know alot of this is domination, but going through 1 or 2 collars a week is not going to cut it. Any suggestions??

I keep reminding myself that she is only 1, but if she keeps it up, she will be lucky to see 2--just kidding (I think :flower: )

KC (Kiah's Companion) DOB 3-6-15

GD's Caught Red Handed Kiah WAC, CGC (RIP Ki-Ki 12-8-05 to 7-10-15) Doberman Princess

Chester-English Pointer (the world's worst bird dog) :-) (RIP Chester January 2001-October 16, 2014)

#2 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

My Weimaraner does the same thing, along with using the collar as a take down handle when playing. :D My dogs no longer wear collars in the house. When someone comes to the door, the dogs are locked in the kitchen behind a secure gate so they can't escape should it be someone who isn't familiar with dogs ducking through any open door they come to.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#3 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

My dogs don't wear collars indoors either as Titan likes to shake Mollie like a rag doll by her collar. Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#4 docsavalle

docsavalle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

DIP THE COLLAR IN SOME HOT SAUCE, SO REAL HOTTTT SAUCE THAT MAY DETER HER FROM CHEWING ANYMORE

#5 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

There's also a spray you use as a bandage protectant so they won't lick themselves because this stuff is just that awful so I'm told! It's called Variton and I know you can get it from the vets, not sure if you can get it anywhere else.

Scott
"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." - Mark Twain, Letter to W D Howells, 4/2/1899

#6 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

DIP THE COLLAR IN SOME HOT SAUCE, SO REAL HOTTTT SAUCE THAT MAY DETER HER FROM CHEWING ANYMORE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We tried this with Wes. He likes it. :flower:

I found the "Bitter Apple" brand was the only one that would put him off anything. Mine also don't wear anything in the house and if the collars are loose enough they will also use them as "take-down handles". :D
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#7 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

Grindle and Betty don't wear collars indoors, either. When they play they get their teeth caught, etc. Have to watch them like hawks. It's easier to go without.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#8 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

We tried this with Wes.  He likes it.  :D

Gee, Mom - thanks! I was getting bored with the plain collar flavor! :flower: :flower:

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#9 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

Gee, Mom - thanks!  I was getting bored with the plain collar flavor!  :D  :flower:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*snort* :flower:
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#10 Kiah's mom

Kiah's mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:46 PM

Ok, so this must be a dobe trait I was unaware of. We did take the collars off in the house. I just really want the dogs to be able to run around and play outside--but without the invisible fence collars on it's too risky. Also-- we did try hot sauce with her to help stop the counter surfing--we decided she is Mexican--she LOVES the stuff!! :D

Edited by Kiah's mom, 31 January 2007 - 03:47 PM.

GD's Caught Red Handed Kiah WAC, CGC (RIP Ki-Ki 12-8-05 to 7-10-15) Doberman Princess

Chester-English Pointer (the world's worst bird dog) :-) (RIP Chester January 2001-October 16, 2014)

#11 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, the hot sauce didn't work for Coby either. The only problem I've had with collars is that Coby was sneaking up to me as I was making his dinner, his collar got caught on the nob of the cubbard door, scared him and he tore the cubbard to smitherines. Can you believe it? Only Cobalt Blue.

#12 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:02 PM

If Arda saw this posting, she'd tell you to put mouse traps on the counter with something tempting on the far side of them :flower: Ruby used to be "counter surfer extraordinaire" until she pulled a hot glass casserole pan off the counter on to herself. That fixed that issue :D, although I don't recommend it.
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#13 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

The only problem I've had with collars is that Coby was sneaking up to me as I was making his dinner, his collar got caught on the nob of the cubbard door, scared him and he tore the cubbard to smitherines. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This happened to Val too. He tore the nob off the bathroom vanity drawer.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#14 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

If Arda saw this posting, she'd tell you to put mouse traps on the counter with something tempting on the far side of them :flower:  Ruby used to be "counter surfer extraordinaire" until she pulled a hot glass casserole pan off the counter on to herself.  That fixed that issue :D, although I don't recommend it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have used cookie sheets precariously balanced on the edge so that they "catch" the cookie sheet instead of the counter edge. This in turn flips the cookie sheet (and the 5-6 empty cans that I've carefully placed on the sheet) up and over the dog and makes a heck of a racket on the floor. Usually only takes 1-2 times for the dog to decide that the "counter" doesn't like him "standing" on it. (Plus - the human never has to be in the room so it's not related to the human.)

Counter surfing drives me bananas. :flower:

#15 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

Counter surfing drives me bananas. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crapping on carpet drives me bananas.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#16 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

Crapping on carpet drives me bananas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good one!! :flower: Generally any fecal matter in the house is definitely a banana trip! :D

#17 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

OK guys, I'm sitting at my desk by myself, laughing like an idiot. Hope no one goes by!

#18 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:04 PM

Stef, I have to say, the cookie sheet idea is one of the best I've read about counter surfing. If I ever get a counter surfer I will definately have to try that. Thanks!

#19 Kiah's mom

Kiah's mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:00 PM

Would you belive we tried the mouse traps last weekend---after she ate my daughter's birthday cake!!!! They didn't work either. We will try the cookie sheet/cans trick tonight. THIS IS WAR-- Me vs. dog

#20 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

Gretta is also a counter surfer .... I will have to try the cookie sheet with the cans also!!
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users