30 replies to this topic

#1 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

I know very little about this group, but Saginaw residents may want to check them out - they are having a meeting at teh Tri-Cities Dog Training Club in Saginaw. They are meeting Sunday at 12pm.

2425 Whitemore Pl · Saginaw · (989) 790-5898

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#2 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:21 AM

This is at NOON on Sunday.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

Here's another bunch of information for you guys:

Two websites of interest to those of you fighting the breed ban in Saginaw: If you have friends, adopters or family members in Saginaw, please pass this on. http://argostar.com/saginaw.htm - Commission meetings, agendas, copy of the Personal Appearance request that must be submitted by 1pm the day of a commission meeting for anyone who wants to speak. Links to articles and resource materials on BSL. Lots of good information here and a complete collection of the local news stories chronicling this issue in Saginaw and articles from other sources that offer a wealth of information, statistics and research you will find useful in writing letters to the commissioners or preparing to speak at a commission meeting. And there is also a link to the videos of past city commission meetings as well as the minutes of those meetings. Save Saginaw Dogs on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Saginaw-Dogs/135663496496272?v=wall This is the Facebook page for a group of Saginaw residents who are fighting against the proposed ordinance by trying to promote a non breed specific model ordinance. Those of you in Saginaw should plug into this group. You will need a unified front come Feb 21st. No one, as yet, has seen final wording of this ordinance as I understand it, yet they plan to vote on it on Feb 21st ? Get the word out to Saginaw residents. Dog owners or not. I really doesn’t matter. This is bad government. It offers residents of Saginaw no genuine public safety whatsoever, punishes responsible pet owners and accomplishes nothing but chaos and confusion. Laurel
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

Sunday Miles, countrywoods@voyager.net [voyager.net] is with the Save Saginaw Dogs committee. If you want to get involved, contact them. There is a role for everyone, residents and non residents alike. Particularly if you’re close enough to be a warm body at a meeting. Think about anyone you know from that area, make sure they get plugged in. Members of your agility club or fly ball team, your vet and their staff, your relatives, friends, adopters, people you know from the dog shows____ this proposal in Saginaw is the very worst kind of BSL. Not that there is a good version, but this one is so comprehensive that everyone either is or could be effected. they start with ten dog breeds and then where does it go from there ? And care must be taken that the commission does not look at the size of the opposition and then decide to whittle the ordinance down to just a couple of breeds in an effort to diffuse the opposition. BSL of any type is unacceptable, ineffective and does more harm than it ever could do good. Laurel

#5 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

I sent him an email with my info. I had to work last Sunday so I missed the meeting they had too. Thanks Arda.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#6 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Public hearing set to garner input on proposal that would require owners of dangerous dogs to buy insurance

Published: Monday, February 07, 2011, 3:15 PM Updated: Monday, February 07, 2011, 4:42 PM
Posted Image By Holly Klaft | Jackson Citizen Patriot
Follow Share3 5 Posted Image Share close Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark Share Email Print
Jackson County residents will have another chance to voice their opinions on changes to the county’s animal control ordinance, one of which would require owners of vicious or potentially dangerous animals to carry insurance on their pets.

A public hearing on changes to the ordinance will be held next week. The county board accepted a first reading of the ordinance in January.

“This is to promote responsible dog ownership,” said Commissioner David Elwell, chairman of the county Policy Committee, which continued to discuss the ordinance on Monday. “I think it’s a step in the right direction.”

Commissioners debated whether the ordinance should include the stipulation that pet owners must carry a minimum of $100,000 in liability insurance if the court determines their animal is vicious or potentially dangerous.

Commissioner Phil Duckham said the insurance requirement does not adequately address problems with dangerous dogs.

“I don’t feel it solves anything at all,” Duckham told fellow members of the county Policy Committee. “This is not fixing the problem. We need to find a way to prevent these attacks.”

Duckham suggested categorizing dangerous dogs and making their owners pay a higher licensing fee. Though he doesn’t support the change to the ordinance, Duckham said he voted to send it to the full county Board of Commissioners out of respect for other board members so there could be more discussion.

Elwell said only a handful of pet owners a year could be forced to purchase insurance.

“If they’re responsible dog owners, they won’t be in this position at all,” Elwell said.

Board Chairman Steve Shotwell said the penalties are focused on habitual offenders and the ordinance gives owners the opportunity in court to prove their animal is not dangerous.

“This is for people who break the rules,” Shotwell said. “We’re making people take self responsibility here.”

An animal could be considered potentially dangerous if it is found frequently running loose, exhibiting aggressive behavior, damaging property or has indirectly injured a person or domestic animal, or has bitten or scratched a person in a less than dangerous manner.

The ordinance classifies dangerous and potentially dangerous animals in nine levels, with the most severe being an animal that kills or seriously injures a person or another domestic animal.

The provision is among a series of amendments to the ordinance, which also includes the requirement that animals deemed dangerous must be housed in structures not accessible to children.

The changes come in response to a series of dog attacks in 2010.

Other revisions address the restructuring of animal control operations that placed animal control officers under the management of county Sheriff Dan Heyns and shelter operations with the county Health Department.

“This is not about forcing people to get insurance,” said Commissioner Carl Rice Jr. “This ordinance is to serve the public and protect the public and even protect animals. Everyone involved will do what is necessary to keep people safe and I believe this ordinance does that.”

he Jackson County Board of Commissioners will meet at 7 p.m. Feb. 15 in the board chambers of the Jackson County Tower Building, 120 W. Michigan Ave.

#7 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

This doesn't make any sense. I know, what a surprise, eh? They're saying they're going to force people to purchase a liability insurance policy to cover their vicious or dangerous dogs? Good luck with that. I'm pretty sure I know what my insurance company would say if I called them with such a request.

If you have a homeowner's or renter's insurance policy, you already have liability insurance. $100,000 would be considered a minimal amount these days. Read your policy and/or call your insurance agent, but I'm pretty sure liability for your dog is covered, unless there is a specific exclusion to that effect. There's also something called a personal liability umbrella policy, which, back in the day, used to cover just about anything under the sun, but I'm sure the times have caught up and there are many exclusions in those, too.

Edited by Cheri, 08 February 2011 - 04:50 PM.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#8 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

http://www.wnem.com/...085/detail.html

So City Hall is changing their tune a little...we'll see where this goes.

SCD's Stone Soup

#9 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

Good. It sounds like those opposed to this ordinance are making their voices heard (okay, barking, I guess LOL). It still infuriates me that the city is saying they're going to charge you an extra $50 a year just based on their version of what a dangerous dog might be, i.e., this inaccurate and misleading list they got from the CDC. But at least it's not an outright ban. And I sure hope they get rid of that muzzle provision they were talking about.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#10 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

Seems like everyone is trying to get another dime out of people who are very basically broke. You know they will be taxing air in a few years.

#11 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

Sounds like they are back peddling now.... Good job those who wrote letters.
Questions:
Is the 50.00 per dog or per owner?
What about dogs who are half "dangerous dog"? Like my Boon who is half Shepherd half Beagle.
Who will pay for DNA tests to prove a dog is a "dangerous" breed?
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#12 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

This just another FYI from another list that might be good to ingest with all the information that is coming in..........

The committee hearing for HB 14, the bill that would remove Pit Bulls as viscous dogs from the law, is today.

By removing the phrase "Pit Bull" from the law all dogs in Ohio will have to be proven vicious, and not just deemed viscous because of their breed.

So say a prayer, send good vibes, think positive.

Last year in Montgomery County (Dayton Area) the County shelter euthenized almost 4000 animals, 2900 of those were never evaluated, considered for adoption or permitted to go to rescues for no reason other than they were "Pit Bulls".

I have spent a lot of time there. I have seen well behaved, social, friendly dogs that never got a chance. I saw a litter of 3 week old pups and their mother the day they were put down, simply because they looked a certain way. I was there one day and saw them empty the freezer they kept the bodies of the animals that had been put down. I watched as they filled a 6 foot by 18 foot dumpster with the bodies of hundreds of dogs, 90% of them Pit Bulls.

If I had not just started a new job I would be in Columbus today to show my support for this bill.

He is your friend, Your partner, Your defender, Your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithfull and true to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

#13 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

Annie, it is $50 per dog meaning $150 for me, plus the normal $36($12 per unsexed dog) that's $186 to license my dogs. As for your mix it would be up to the AC officer to decide, which is another thing against it, they aren't trained in breed identification.

SCD's Stone Soup

#14 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

The "Save Saginaw Dogs" is having a meeting Saturday at 2PM at the Saginaw Training Club. J & I are going.

SCD's Stone Soup

#15 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

Good job Sarah.....you guys will be a great voice for the voiceless :rolleyes:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#16 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

The meeting is Monday.

http://www.mlive.com...ance_propo.html

SCD's Stone Soup

#17 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

People got up, people talked, the council didn't say much. About 6 or 7 people got up and spoke though. I guess it's more "wait and see". One really good thing, they are considering adding an anti-tethering law.

SCD's Stone Soup

#18 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

Were there a lot of people there or just a few? Did the speakers make sense? Did they have their facts together? What was the expressions of the board? Details, please.

#19 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:26 AM

There was about 12 people there and 6 or 7 spoke. There was a few very good speakers. Topics covered included the difficulty in breed identification by a vet, Dr. Winters (I think). Alicia who is heading "Save Saginaw Dogs" spoke on giving the community a chance to have a seat on the committee to decide this law, such as a trainer or vet who would have more dog experience than they do. She did a good job, asked them to work with us so we can feel the law is fair. She also asked when will we actually see a draft of this law in writing instead of just rumors. A lady named Angela spoke very well about the limit number. She said how a person cares for their dog is more important than the number of dogs, since some people have 6 responsibly, and some cannot be responsible with one. (I'm guessing she has more than 3 dogs, as she said they will be ripping apart families if they limit people to 3.) J talked about how they could raise more revenue with tethering laws and leash law enforcement than with the $50 fee for dangerous dogs.

The council is 9 people. Four of them said they haven't seen anything in writing yet, so they really can't comment yet, but would once they see the draft. One of them spoke about how this law is suppose to go after irresponsible owners, not responsible ones. He also spoke against tethering saying it made a dog get "meaner and meaner" and he would like to see an ordinance against it. That was Virliglio (sp). Then Dennis Browning spoke agreeing that the ordinance needed to be shown to the council members and that he hoped it would be given to the public before it goes to a vote. He also asked if he could get a copy of the some of the papers that Angela used in her speech. I liked them both, they seemed fair and open minded. Fitzpatrick said he couldn't really comment as he is head of the committee and that he would be presenting the rough draft to the Council tonight, which he did later in the meeting. Schraffe said nothing good. None of the other Council members commented.

After the meeting Alicia told me she would email me about the next meeting, and that she hopes to get a copy of the draft.

SCD's Stone Soup

#20 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

Scharffe tried to justify the $50 fee by stating that Saginaw had incorporated a $50 fee for having a security system, some may not know because they aren't pursuing people for just having a security system and not paying the fee. They are more going after people who have repeat false alarms with their system, the fee covers 911 resources that respond to false alarms.

So basically he is saying they messed up that ordinance too by not putting the fee on the offenders (repeat false alarms) but instead put the fee on EVERYONE that has a security system and this allows them to pick and choose who they go after for the fee. Pretty much their plans for the dog ordinance too unfortunately.

My thinking is that they are being purposefully vague and secretive about what is in the new draft of the ordinance so the people speaking out don't know what to "complain" about and so hopefully media pressure will die down and they'll be able to pass whatever they feel like. Other than the few members that Sarah mentioned seemed interested in the people's outcry, the rest seemed like they had already decided, even a couple snide remarks on the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users