31 replies to this topic

#1 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:48 AM

Can anyone help? Buster (aka Sticks) was unable to walk 2 days ago. He was diagnosed with wobbler's. What is the prognosis on this and what can be done to help him?

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:29 AM

So very sorry to hear about the diagnosis. There are several people on this board who have dobes with this syndrome and several who have dealt with it in the past. I will let them address the issue for you. I just wanted to welcome you to the board and wish you the best.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

Is he walking at this time? How old is he? I start all of mine with Glyco Flex first. Jean is my present Wobbler and the DIARY has what we are doing for her on it. Need to know how old and weight.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

Arda, No he cannot walk. If you help him stand he leans to the left and will fall. He weighs 92 pounds.

#5 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:44 PM

Arda, No he cannot walk. If you help him stand he leans to the left and will fall. He weighs 92 pounds.

How old is he? Almost 9 now based on your last post? :blink:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#6 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:48 PM

Here's Buster (aka Sticks), Arda. :blink:

http://www.secondcha...amp;#entry41620
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#7 DBugged33

DBugged33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:52 PM

Wobblers does not usually come on that quickly. I'm assuming you have not had the MRI or Mylegram done yet? You might want to first consider taking him to a chiropractic vet or acupuncture vet to see if they can relieve some of the symptoms.

Wobblers in Dobermans in usually a slower onset and happens between the ages of 4 and 7 (USUALLY... of course there are exceptions). Many Vets mis-diagnose other conditions as Wobblers because it is known to be prevalent in Dobermans. Other conditions that can exhibit the same symptoms are pinched nerve, compression of the vertebrae (not related to Wobblers), Vertebrae out of alignment, amongst others. Unfortunately, the only way to truly diagnose Wobblers is with an MRI (expensive) or Mylegram (expensive and dangerous to the dog), so the mis-diagnoses go on as many people opt not to do these procedures (me being one of them).

I took my "tentatively" diagnosed Dobe to a holistic/chiropractic vet and within a couple of sessions she was back to almost 100%. I don't know where you live, but the vet I went to is up in the thumb area (north of Port Huron). There is also one in the Jackson/Ann Arbor area (I believe that's where he is) that travels to a couple other locations one day each month. If you are interested, I can get you their information.

There are also some human chiropractors that will work on dogs... I've known some people who had great success with this, but since our skeletal structure is so different I would be cautious of this. I would first try to find a vet that is licensed in this type of work.

Good Luck,
Amy

#8 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

Maybe get him to vet for exrays, some prednisone may help
some. As for Chiropractor, theres one in Brighton who works on
dogs. Arda can tell you.
We have a girl who is in first stages, from a fall on ice we think.
Gave her pred for afew days, it helped some. Now shes on 2 coated
aspirin, 2-3 Artharmine, 2- Vit C tabs a day... I wont give her the Pred
unless she gets worse. She will be 6 next month.
Good Luck

Daisy

#9 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:09 PM

He is at the animal mri center at this moment getting his mri to give me a definitive diagnosis. I really don't know how to take care of him at home right now since in cannot stand by himself, so he won't urine or deficate either.

#10 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

I am sorry to hear about Buster. Please keep us updated.
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#11 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

The MRI shows two small areas of cord compression. They are keeping him overnight on IV fluids and IV decadron (steroid). Hopefully some of the swelling to the cord will go down and I he will be able to get up soon. Has anyone heard of a neck wrap and how do I get one. Also, would any natural meds,etc help with him? Where would I go to see a chiropractor or acupuncturist? How much do they cost a session?

#12 debl

debl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

I had a schipperke that couldn't walk when she was around 9. She rec'd steroid injection which helped but within 2 weeks the problem returned. Fortunately, my vet was/is licensed in acupuncture for animals. After that session, my schipp acted like a 3 year old again. Running, jumping, playing, etc. I don't know if her problem was the same as Buster's, but I was running out of options and it was a safe alternative. At that time, there were only 2 or 3 vets in Michigan licensed to perform acupuncture. Just another thought.

#13 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

Sorry, I'm having computer problems here.....IS HE HOME? What shape is he in today? Can he walk yet? What does he weigh? Is he eating?

#14 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

Buster is at home and the large doses of steroids did not help him at all. He cannot stand or walk. I was hoping for some improvement with the steroids but there was none, in fact, he seems to be getting a little worse - weaker.

#15 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

I need to know how heavy he is. IS HE HOLDING HIS LEGS STIFF AND HIS NECK STIFF? Jean was when it first hit her. The muscle relaxant let her relax but she could not eat without throwing up. But we kept her on it for a week. She isn't a very big dog anyway so she was down to 54#s. Then we introduced Pednisone and she started walking again. I got a present from a friend in the form of a harness for hiking dogs. Then I could help her without killing myself. Jean is up and going. We need more information on his condition. Are his legs stiff. That means he has pain. My doctor told me that as long as I had pain they could help me. When the pain stopped, I severed the nerves and no more could be done for me.

#16 lorraine_byers

lorraine_byers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

Went through something similar with my parents/our family dog 5-6 years ago. I was home for x-mas break from college and went to go get him to let him out, and he couldn't move. We would put him up on his feet and he would always fall to one side (don't remember which). He was a medium size dog (30-40#'s) - not a dobe. We took him to the vet and they suspected pinched nerve. We took him home with steroids and it was a good 4-7 days before he could walk and that was with help. We got one of the walking harnesses to help hold him up, because he wouldn't go to the bathroom without lifting his leg, so we had to hold him up so he could do that. After a month or so, he was for the most part back to normal. A bit slower, but could walk & function on his own. He lived another 3-4 years after that with no other complications from this. I know it's not the same in dobes, but might be similar since the cord is compressed.

#17 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

I need to know how heavy he is.

She posted that he weighs 92 pounds, Arda.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#18 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

His left legs are flaccid. He does have a little movement in the right. But since he had absolulely no response to the steroids, he is paralyzed. When I see human patients with symptoms like this it is paralysis, especially if there is no response to the steroids.

#19 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

Did your vet send steriods home with him? What are they and how often are they to be used?

#20 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:54 PM

I've seen a completely paralyzed Dalmatian (result of a neck injury during a fall causing pinched nerves) walk normally after five acupuncture treatments. Have you been able to find a vet who does accupuncture?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users