55 replies to this topic

#1 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

For those who have dealt with bone cancer in the past, how did you first notice it? Was there ever a superficial lump or sore or anything that was painful when touched? Does it usually start in the legs and/or feet? How was it diagnosed? :blink:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#2 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

Our Rex had a limp, no noticeable sore or lump, we took him in for x-rays. They thought at first it might be arthritis, but there was a strange shadow in his forearm they weren't sure just what it was because of the way his leg was positioned. We took him back in about a month later for a follow up x-ray and at that time they were sure it was cancer. You could see it plainly in his forearm and also through his ribs, it must have been a fast growing sort because he went down hill very fast, I'll bet he lost 10# in less than a weeks time. We had to have him pts. He was somewhere around 11-ish, we got him through Rescue and he had come in as a stray so we weren't really sure just how old he was.
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#3 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

Mandy; what's going on up there? Who has what problem?

#4 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:49 PM

Our first Dobe developed osteosarcoma of the right wrist. We noticed that his wrist looked 'swollen', but not painful. When we took him into the vet they did an x-ray which showed cancer. We opted to treat him like we would any other baby. He had an amputation of the right front leg to the shoulder (we were afraid of him fracturing his leg) and subsequent chemotherapy treatments. He did very well for one year then all of a sudden he could not breathe. His lungs had metastasis throughout. They were filled with fluid. We could have had the lungs tapped (thoracentesis), but that would have only lasted a very, very short time before they filled up again. We sadly had to let him go at that time. He just turned seven. :blink:

#5 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

Well, perhaps this isn't bone cancer...but it certainly is something very strange, to say the least. I have an appointment set up to take him to the vet, but has anyone ever seen anything like this? It is EXTREMELY tender to the touch and feels as though it extends under the skin down to the lower right and up to the upper left--when I feel the area, it feels as though there's a mass under the skin (you can see where it bulges out a bit above and below the sore). It doesn't feel as though it's attached to bone or anything, just a solid mass under the skin that's quite large. I can't tell whether the mass I feel is just swelling or if there's actually something there. :blink:

This sore appears to be a "head" so to speak and sticks up from the skin about 1/8 of an inch. It isn't bleeding or oozing or anything. It looks a lot like proud flesh that you'd see in horse wounds as they heal sometimes (proud flesh is normal tissue that has become overactive. In an attempt to heal wounds rapidly, the surrounding tissue reproduces so quickly it accumulates more tissue than is needed. The process moves at such a rapid rate it has trouble stopping. The resulting mound of tissue will protrude beyond skin level. This is unsightly and may actually interfere with movement)

I didn't notice it until Sunday morning when Gunner got up. He was limping very badly. I thought maybe he'd picked up a sliver or something from the construction and was quite shocked to find this. I've been applying Sovereign Silver and soaking his foot in epsom salts. He does seem to be a bit better this morning without a noticeable limp, but the lump is still there and it is still very sore. He often times holds the foot up while he's just standing.

Attached File  GunnersFoot.jpg   362.43KB   2 downloads
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#6 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

I don't know what it is, Mandy, but I'm sorry poor Gunner has it. :blink:

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#7 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:54 AM

Eeww ick! Poor Gunner. Hope it isn't anything too serious. I wonder if he did pick up something from the construction and it took awhile to fester and then cause him to limp?
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

-Mark Twain-

#8 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

Eeww ick! Poor Gunner. Hope it isn't anything too serious. I wonder if he did pick up something from the construction and it took awhile to fester and then cause him to limp?

I'm wondering the same thing, although I would think if it were an infected sliver or something, there'd be pus, right? :blink: From the little I've played with it trying to get something to come out, I've only ever been able to get blood. I don't want to squeeze it or mess with it too much as it's very, very sore and obviously painful for him. :devil:

#9 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, you'd think there would be some pus if it were an infection. Poor guy.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

-Mark Twain-

#10 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

Get him to the vet. It looks like cancer from here. We had one removed from Ghost a couple of months ago. Looked a lot like that.

#11 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

I don't know what it is, Mandy, but I'm sorry poor Gunner has it. :w00t:

Jane

Thank you, Jane...between my vet and Carolann, we'll figure out what it is! :blink: :devil:

#12 DBugged33

DBugged33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hi Mandy,

Last spring / early summer, I noticed a huge lump on Indy's belly (up front by her lower chest area) and it seemed to pop up from no-where... it was quite large and of course I was worried about breast cancer because of the area & her being female...

I took her into my vet who recommended a needle biopsy & it came back inconclusive. He didn't like the feel of the growth or how it came on suddenly & recommended surgery. I ended up getting a second opinion from my holistic vet which also recommended surgery, so I had the surgery done.... it ended up that she had a really long-thin thorn (from a bush in my yard) embedded in her skin & it even went into the blood vessel (it was packed in there good).

This bump was quite large, didn't seem to be attached to anything and didn't have any type of puss or oozing associated with it... it actually looked self-contained underneath the skin. My guess is, if Indy could have reached it she would have licked & licked and probably made an open sore, but there still would have been no puss... The body was trying to attack the foreign object, hence the lump.

Hopefully, that is all that is wrong with your boy... it sounds very much like he might have gotten something embedded from the construction. Definitely have it checked out.

Amy

#13 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:26 AM

Get him to the vet. It looks like cancer from here. We had one removed from Ghost a couple of months ago. Looked a lot like that.

Arda, you're scaring the crap out of me...I'll change the appointment to today to be on the safe side. :blink:

#14 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

Many years ago my lab got hit by a truck and after coming home from the vet the next day saw this huge mass along his underbelly to his chest; when I touched it, the dog screamed. The vet said it was liquid forming from the impact, like humans would have a huge bruise and it would dissipate which it did. It's a good thing you are taking him to the vet today and my best wishes are with you.

#15 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:37 AM

Hi Mandy,

Last spring / early summer, I noticed a huge lump on Indy's belly (up front by her lower chest area) and it seemed to pop up from no-where... it was quite large and of course I was worried about breast cancer because of the area & her being female...

I took her into my vet who recommended a needle biopsy & it came back inconclusive. He didn't like the feel of the growth or how it came on suddenly & recommended surgery. I ended up getting a second opinion from my holistic vet which also recommended surgery, so I had the surgery done.... it ended up that she had a really long-thin thorn (from a bush in my yard) embedded in her skin & it even went into the blood vessel (it was packed in there good).

This bump was quite large, didn't seem to be attached to anything and didn't have any type of puss or oozing associated with it... it actually looked self-contained underneath the skin. My guess is, if Indy could have reached it she would have licked & licked and probably made an open sore, but there still would have been no puss... The body was trying to attack the foreign object, hence the lump.

Hopefully, that is all that is wrong with your boy... it sounds very much like he might have gotten something embedded from the construction. Definitely have it checked out.

Amy

Hopefully that's all this is, but I just called and will be taking him today at 4:30 to be on the safe side. Glad to hear Indy's was just a thorn!

#16 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

I'm sorry, but it looks like the thing I had removed from Ghost. Where is it located. I can't figure that out. Don't panic. The one on Ghost was sent in to MSU and they said it was fast growing but that if it was contained and did not come back right away, she'd be ok. We roll her every day, and it has not come back. This could be something all together different. Don't panic yet.

#17 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

Many years ago my lab got hit by a truck and after coming home from the vet the next day saw this huge mass along his underbelly to his chest; when I touched it, the dog screamed. The vet said it was liquid forming from the impact, like humans would have a huge bruise and it would dissipate which it did. It's a good thing you are taking him to the vet today and my best wishes are with you.

My dogs have had those...can't remember what they're called at the moment...when they get to playing rough and one nips the other a bit too hard! :blink: :devil: I took my Weim in one time as she had a huge one develop on her side that scared the crap out of me. Turns out she got from being slammed against the coffee table by Mia during a bought of rough play. :w00t: Needless to say, I don't rush them to the vet now when I see them form unless I KNOW it wasn't caused by gnashing teeth or a full-on body slam. :LOL:

#18 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

I'm sorry, but it looks like the thing I had removed from Ghost. Where is it located. I can't figure that out. Don't panic. The one on Ghost was sent in to MSU and they said it was fast growing but that if it was contained and did not come back right away, she'd be ok. We roll her every day, and it has not come back. This could be something all together different. Don't panic yet.

It's right in between his heel pad and pinky toe pad on his right front paw.

#19 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

I'd rather think he is trying to lick something out of the paw then. The one Ghost had was on the tummy and her licking was making it look like that. But just to be sure take him to the vet. And I will send Jarrod my XXL pullover. It's too big. Send me his address.

#20 DBugged33

DBugged33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

Glad to hear Indy's was just a thorn!

Me too... it was scary! Unfortunately she died from DCM 10 months later at 6 years young! If it isn't one thing... it's another with this beautiful breed.
Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users