Photo

Belle needs your prayers and good thoughts...

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

Belle's in the hospital right now fighting for her life due to complications from a previous bowel obstruction surgery (she's had three so far, the most recent was this past Saturday). One of her intestinal incisions opened up and has leaked into her abdomen causing a severe case of secondary Peritonitis. When my vet opened her up last night, her entire abdomen was filled with pus. He also found a surgical sponge still inside from a previous surgery (which was done by an emergency vet as I had to take her in after hours). :pinch: She lost 16 inches of intestine due to infection. He's got her open still so her abdomen can drain and so he can flush things out periodically. Her vital signs after surgery last night were stronger than before she went into surgery, and she's bright eyed this morning, although heavily sedated. She's doing as best as she can at this point considering what she's been through, but she still isn't out of the woods.

It amazes me how fast the infection set in. She was fine the day we brought her home and even ate her dinner with a ravenous appetite (typical for her!). By six AM the next morning, I was on the phone with the vet as she was very depressed and wouldn't eat--something was definitely not right with her. She had been sedated when we brought her home as she was so active, the attending vet didn't want her to injure herself. She slept most of the evening and night. By morning, she was still acting very disoriented, which I though was unusual, and wouldn't eat, so I called the vet...better safe than sorry.

Please say lots of prayers and send good vibes her way. She's going to need them over the next week. :innocent:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

I'm so sorry, Mandy. I'll pray that Belle heals quickly. The poor baby. :pinch: Sorry you have to go through this. I know how hard it is.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

:hug: ;) :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :c

Im so sorry to hear about your baby!! I hope she does well, its sounds icky! Prayers for her and you!!

Sharen and Eva :hug:

#4 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:08 AM

Prayers, fingers & toes crossed for
"Belle"... Know we are thinking of you... ;) :clover:
Daisy & Gang

#5 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:48 AM

So very sorry Mandy, our hearts go out to you and to Belle...
Try to hold onto this:
"Cast all your fears upon Him, becasue He cares for you" 1st Peter 5:7
We'll be praying for Belle and for you in these hours ahead...keep hoping, keep believing, and no matter what always know there will be good come from even what we do not understand.
Love,
suzi
"let them (man) rule over all the earth, the fish, birds, livetock, all that move on the ground. Gen 1:26" Seems some misunderstood the word "rule" and exchanged it for "cruel", and now I give thanks to God for the "rescue angels".

#6 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

Mandy, Belle is in our thoughts and prayers. Thank God her Mom was so in tune to her baby. Please, keep us posted. Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#7 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hang in there Mandy! You are in our thoughts and prayers !

Heather, Madison, Brownie, Beefy, Sadie, Star and Princess.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#8 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

Oh Mandy I so sorry; the one thing I learned after being married to a Veterinarian is the simply amazing healing capabilities of dogs. Will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. By the way, I just hate those emergency clinics; have never had a good experience with them. Best wishes. Vicki, Gracie & Blue

#9 Sparkles

Sparkles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

I am so sorry and Belle will be in our prayers.

Sarah

#10 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

we will keep Belle in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#11 Derek'smom

Derek'smom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

How frustrating! All sixteen of our paws, as well as my fingers are crossed for you two. Hang in there...dobes are strong of will and heart. We're thinking of you...Diane, Derek and his sisters

#12 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the good thoughs every one. :clover: Belle's a strong girl, and so far she's doing very well. She's in good hands with my vet. Once again, thank you all!

I'll have another update later this afternoon. ;)
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#13 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

Just got off the phone with the vet's office...Belle's doing great! :clover: She was able to get up and go outside twice today! :clover: She's still open to allow for drainage/flushing...won't be closed up until Thursday or Friday. She's such a litle trooper! :clover: Next update...tomorrow morning. ;)

#14 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

SO glad to hear she's doing well, Mandy!!! ;)
Must be a HUGE weight off your shoulders, to know your girl is pulling through just FINE!!!
Glad to hear that's she's feeling better, and will be up and about like normal in no time!

#15 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear she is doing well. Thank heavens she is a strong dog.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#16 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

Just got off the phone with the vet's office...Belle's doing great! :clover:  She was able to get up and go outside twice today!  :clover: She's still open to allow for drainage/flushing...won't be closed up until Thursday or Friday.  She's such a litle trooper!  :clover: Next update...tomorrow morning.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news, Mandy!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#17 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:03 PM

Glad to hear that's she's feeling much better, I'm sure she will be up and about al in no time at all. ;)
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#18 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

Mandy,

just read this link, and was VERY glad to get to the part where Belle is doing better.

Our thoughts are with you.

The Gray's
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#19 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

Mandy , I'm so happy Belle is doing good !!! Thank goodness !! but she is a dobe!! ;)
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#20 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

Belle is in our thoughts and prayers....I'm really glad to hear that she is doing better.
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users