191 replies to this topic

#1 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

On June 14, I noticed that Cocoa had a few bumps on the front of her neck and also some on the top so I gave her Benadryl Allergy twice a day for the next few days. I stopped because the rash did not seem to be getting worse. Several days later, the rash got worse, and she started to lose hair on the front of her neck. I saw a few bumps on other areas of her body as well and I also noticed that on a few occasions the pads of her feet were pinkish/red. Her chest even has red spots on it. I ended up taking her to the vet on 6/30. Dr. Callaway suspected an allergy and prescribed Simplicef 200 mg once daily, Atarax Hydroxyzine 50 mg two to three times daily, and Dermacool-Hc twice daily. I have tried all of this and have not seen an ounce of improvement. Cocoa does scratch her neck and chest but the scratching is not excessive by any means. Hum.......so now I am wondering if I should take her back in for further testing. I remember the doctor saying that she was going to test Cocoa's thyroid if things didn't get better but I also remember her saying that she really didn't suspect thyroid because of Cocoa's age. I have talked to some friends at work who have experienced similiar symptoms with their dogs and they suggested I have her tested for allergies. My friend Augie paid $500 to have his dog tested for allergies. :D At this point, I am not sure what to do. :D Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cocoa is currently eating Diamond Professional dog food.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#2 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:33 AM

http://www.vetinfo.com/dallergy.html

Cher, try this site. It has all kinds of questions relating to dog allergies and what can cause them/prevent them/treatment, etc. Since I only know slightly what Cocoa is going through from what you told me, I don't know what to look for.
Hopefully this site will help a little!
~Jen~

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:32 AM

Sorry Cheryl, I've had my hands full and didn't read this til now. See if you can get a bag of Salmon and sweet potaoe dog food. If it is a food allergy you will see instant inprovement. No treats or table scraps. Or check the allergy formulas at Petsmart. Don't put the money into the allergy tests. If it is an allergy, we can figure it out without those expensive tests. Has any of the yards she has been in benn sprayed for bus or weeds? Have you changed laundry detergents? Have you shampooed your carpet? Arda
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:12 PM

Have you shampooed your carpet?  Arda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee, Cher, you don't do THAT too often, do you?!?!?!? :D,
muwahahahaha...

I would have said my yard was sprayed for weeds, but that was in May. I don't think that would have had an effect on Cocoa, do you?
~Jen~

#5 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:45 PM

Sorry Cheryl, I've had my hands full and didn't read this til now.  See if you can get a bag of Salmon and sweet potaoe dog food.  If it is a food allergy you will see instant inprovement.  No treats or table scraps.  Or check the allergy formulas at Petsmart.  Don't put the money into the allergy tests.  If it is an allergy, we can figure it out without those expensive tests.  Has any of the yards she has been in benn sprayed for bus or weeds?  Have you changed laundry detergents?  Have you shampooed your carpet?  Arda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Arda - Where can I find this food? Does TSC carry it? I'll check Happy Pet Supplies tomorrow, where I buy the Diamond, to see if they carry it.

The last application of weed and feed was on July 5 but I only put it on my front lawn and not the back where Cocoa spends most of her time when she is outdoors. I have been using the same laundry detergent since I brought Cocoa home. It's Purex. I shampoo the carpet on a fairly regular basis and have done so several times proir to when I first started to notice her rash in mid-June.

Edited by CAB, 29 July 2005 - 04:56 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#6 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

http://www.vetinfo.com/dallergy.html

Cher, try this site.  It has all kinds of questions relating to dog allergies and what can cause them/prevent them/treatment, etc.  Since I only know slightly what Cocoa is going through from what you told me, I don't know what to look for.
Hopefully this site will help a little!
~Jen~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks CC! I'll check this site out over the weekend.

-Arda Barber

#7 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:48 PM

I would have said my yard was sprayed for weeds, but that was in May.  I don't think that would have had an effect on Cocoa, do you?
~Jen~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno. Probably not. Do you know if your neighbor had fertilized recently? Cocoa and Brody were mostly in her yard when we came to visit.

-Arda Barber

#8 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:50 PM

Gee, Cher, you don't do THAT too often, do you?!?!?!?  :D,
muwahahahaha...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHA! :D

Cheryl
Carpet Cleaning Fanatic :D

-Arda Barber

#9 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

HAHA!  :D 

Cheryl
Carpet Cleaning Fanatic  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if you steam cleaned the carpet without any cleaners in it to just rid the carpet of cleaning residue if that would help?

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#10 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

I dunno.  Probably not.  Do you know if your neighbor had fertilized recently?  Cocoa and Brody were mostly in her yard when we came to visit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My neighbour barely puts the effort into CUTTING her lawn, never mind fertilizing it! :D
Did I type that out loud?!?!?!?!

HAHAHAHAHA
T.G.I.F. If it weren't, I'd swear I'm going crazy, if I weren't already there.

Edited by Jennymay, 29 July 2005 - 03:25 PM.

#11 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:47 PM

I wonder if you steam cleaned the carpet without any cleaners in it to just rid the carpet of cleaning residue if that would help?

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again, I dunno. :D I would think that if she was allergic to the carpet, or the residue, or the stuff that I use to clean the carpet, that I would have noticed this right away. When I first brought her home, she had diarrhea really bad and a few times she had accidents inside the house. I have cleaned my carpet several times prior to when the rash first developed.

-Arda Barber

#12 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:13 PM

No treats or table scraps. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Attached File  frosty_paws.jpg   122.05KB   19 downloads

What do you mean no more treats or table scraps? Does this include Frosty Paws???

Ms. Cocoa

Edited by CAB, 29 July 2005 - 05:18 PM.

-Arda Barber

#13 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

isn't it true that you can become allergic to something the more you are exposed to it? Like poison ivy?

The other thing about the allergy tests. From what I understand, you cannot have her tested for allergies when she is in the middle of a full blown reaction. There is no way to tell what she is reacting to when she is ALREADY reacting to something. The only way to find out what she is allergic to is at a time when she is NOT reacting to anything else. So I agree with Arda on the testing. I also agree with her on the table scraps ... frosty paws included. :D OUCH, I know.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#14 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

I also agree with her on the table scraps ... frosty paws included.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you want to be the one that tells her?

-Arda Barber

#15 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Do you want to be the one that tells her?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll send Tango over. She's a real no nonsense kinda gal.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#16 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:38 PM

I'll send Tango over.  She's a real no nonsense kinda gal.

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tango will just give it to her straight up, eh? Oh no, the CC is rubbing off on me. :D

-Arda Barber

#17 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:43 PM

Tango will just give it to her straight up, eh?  Oh no, the CC is rubbing off on me.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I wouldn't have noticed but you had to point it out, eh?

Jane
yooper

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#18 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:44 PM

You know, I wouldn't have noticed but you had to point it out, eh?

Jane
yooper

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D Let's see if Stef notices.

-Arda Barber

#19 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

Arda - Where can I find this food?  Does TSC carry it?  I'll check Happy Pet Supplies tomorrow, where I buy the Diamond, to see if they carry it. 

The last application of weed and feed was on July 5 but I only put it on my front lawn and not the back where Cocoa spends most of her time when she is outdoors.  I have been using the same laundry detergent since I brought Cocoa home.  It's Purex.  I shampoo the carpet on a fairly regular basis and have done so several times proir to when I first started to notice her rash in mid-June.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can get allergy formulas at most pet stores - watch out though. Some of the natural foods contain chicken fat as the preservative. From what I understand - you want one animal source and one carb source. I.e. Salmon & Potatoe (no rice, corn, wheat, or other animal protein - lamb, chicken, beef, etc.) That way you'll know if it's food related.

I've got mine on Lamb & Rice with no chicken, corn, wheat. It's wonderful for Tux - but Wes is going in for tests next week - he's still hivy and he's scratching. *sigh*

Good luck & keep us posted on how she does.

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#20 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

Is it okay for Cocoa to chew on rawhide bones or should I take these from her for the time being until I can figure out what's going on :D

-Arda Barber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users