41 replies to this topic

#1 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

Wondering if people have some ideas for me... Stella literally jumps 3' straight in the air when she gets excited and she gets excited about: - people - bikes - lawnmowers - kids playing - dogs barking - squirrels - rabbits - basically anything that isn't a rock/tree/grass I am trying to get her out and get her used to them - but it's really hard when she goes bananas. She will 'watch' me when we work in the driveway - but when we walk she gets excited and goes totally bananas.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

Katie goes bananas when she sees dogs, people, mice, birds, trees, grass, ants, bats, food, water, and basically any thing I can title.  She does not jump as high as Stella but you can't catch her when she goes loop d loop.  I know in my own heart, they will be good girls when we get through to them.  Yes Kangaroo puppies.  Mercy they have energy.  And the worst thing of all, They are happy.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Teach her a variety of incompatible behaviors.  She can't jump into the air if she is obeying your command to sit or down or watch me or shake hands or roll over or you name it.  So if you work on her repertoire of other talents, you can give her something to do that you like better than her jumping in the air and going bananas!  At the same time, you are working on her focus and engagement with you.  Are you using rewards like treats or a tug toy to mark the behaviors you want?  Find out what she will work for and use it to keep her attention with you.

It's also helpful for you to be proactive about knowing when these distractions are about to occur.  Think one step ahead of her and be prepared.  Find a distance where you are able to keep her attention, then gradually start working closer and closer, as she is able to handle it.  You want to work on slow and gradual desensitization to these distractions.

Edited by Cheri, 16 May 2015 - 07:33 PM.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:03 AM

Whooh  you are good Cheri.  You must have had a banana crazed dog at one time.  Thank you.

#5 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:29 AM

I thought all Dobermans are banana-crazed and over-the-top with excitement/silliness/distractibility when they're young (or maybe not so young)?  :w00t:  :stuart:

Let's just say I know what's supposed to work, and given enough time and practice, things usually do work out, but all of my dogs, even the old ones, are always a work in progress!  :thumbsup:  :)

Edited by Cheri, 17 May 2015 - 07:36 AM.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#6 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

Hahahahahaa!!! They're all crazy! I forgot what teenagers were like!!

We will work on our sits so that they are more consistent and I did ask for them when she was going bananas today.

Am I better not to walk her anywhere where she might be distracted until we get consistency without distractions? I feel bad because I want to get her out - but at the same time I think I'm reinforcing bad behaviours...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#7 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

"Am I better not to walk her anywhere where she might be distracted until we get consistency without distractions?  I feel bad because I want to get her out - but at the same time I think I'm reinforcing bad behaviors..."

I'm glad you asked, because I was thinking this was something I wanted to add.  When you are starting to train a new behavior to a dog, it is always best to start in as distraction-free an environment as you can.  So that would probably be a room in your house.  When you have consistency, work the behavior in other rooms, then move it out to your porch or yard, etc.  Only when you feel you have good compliance should you ask for the behavior when distractions are present, and again, start with only small distractions at a distance, and gradually work on closing that distance.

Also, I know Stella is nine or ten months old, but she is still young and has a very short attention span, plus she probably had no training before she came to SCD, so treat her like you would a very young puppy when it comes to training.  It's best to do short, happy, upbeat training sessions multiple times a day, instead of one or two long sessions.  So five minutes, three or four times a day, instead of twenty or thirty minutes in one fell swoop.  Stop while she's still paying attention to you and wanting more!

Your question about walks is tough for me to answer without knowing a little more about what the circumstances are.  But you're absolutely right that you don't want to give her the opportunity to rehearse bad behaviors.  To me, it's more important to work on calmness and focus now than it is to get her out and about.  If you have multiple places to choose from for walks, I would definitely stick with the quieter ones for now.  Socialization and seeing the world is important, but you have to balance it with teaching good manners.

Do you have a fenced yard?  Young dogs definitely need exercise, and playing fetch or Frisbee, etc. in a safely fenced area is the ideal way to burn off energy for a young dog, without a lot of distractions.  If you're able to do that a few times a day, plus do several short training sessions, there shouldn't be the need for a lot of walks in public places for right now.  You can add those in, later, as she's able to handle it. 

#8 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

Okay perfect!! I have a huge yard - and while she won't retrieve yet she will run and run and run. We will work on attention at home for now and have yard exercise.

#9 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

Kari and I just went through the very same stuff we are talking about here with my other Kangaroo Puppy Snow Ball.  Exactly the same thing.  All over the place and no control.  If you ever had a puppy like Chaos was and has been, you'd know how easy it is to forget what normal Kangaroo Puppies are like.

#10 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

But Snowball is getting better? Stella is definitely settling in the house. She will lay down on the rug and sleep.

#11 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Snow Ball needs a foot ball team to wear her out, not a 71 crippled old woman.  Katie is better than Snow Ball.  Kari needs to tell the world what it's really like here most of the time.  It's a total mad house.  I'll take old wore out dogs any day over a team of puppies.

Tennis racket in the back yard Stef.  Wears them out better than any thing else I've tried.  All you have to do is stand in one place and whack that ball for them to chase.  Right now I have some very sad looking tennis balls but some more should be coming soon.

#12 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

When I take my dogs out in my yard for exercise, I confess, we're not really doing what you would call "retrieving."  They know how to do a formal obedience-style retrieve of a dumbbell, but when we go out in the yard for exercise, they have a lot more fun just running and running after the balls.  I always take more balls than I have dogs, because Logan will pretty much keep the same ball in his mouth, but each time I throw a new one, he chases it.  Tasha doesn't run as much because she has DCM and is wise enough to know just how much exercise is enough for her, but she likes to be out in the midst of the action and is usually laying in a shady spot, chomping on a ball.  So we have balls constantly in motion, with Logan running after them, and me following along with my Chuck-It thrower.  That way, I get much-needed exercise, too!   :thumbsup:  I can't say enough about the Chuck-It throwers.  You can get Chuck-It balls, but tennis balls work in them, too.  I'm sure a tennis racket would work great, too, but I don't have one.

All this talk about energetic youngsters has gotten me thinking, and when the time comes for me to welcome another Doberman to my family, I think maybe I want one just like Chaos!  I'm getting old, too, so maybe the lazier, the better.  :D

Edited by Cheri, 18 May 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#13 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

He is the perfect Dobermann.  Too big to fall over.  Too lazy to get into trouble.  Greets everyone like they are his best friend.  Loves little fussy dogs.  Eats anything you give him or that he can steal.  Never tells what you confide in him with.  Will sit and drink stale cold coffee and listen.  He is my best friend and everyone that meets him agrees.  He's the perfect Dobermann.

#14 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

As for exercise I can personally recommend the Cycleash.  It attaches to your bike right under your seat and has an attachment to have a dog on either side of you.  Some things to note though.  You need to slowly introduce your dog to being attached to a bike.  The instructions explain to start off walking your bike while walking your dog and work up to walking your bike while having them attached to the bike and eventually riding.

Another important note is that the pads on dogs feet are not calloused enough initially to protect them from long rides on concrete.  You must gradually work up the distance you ride if you ride on concrete.

While Stone starts off easily pulling me while he sprints down the sidewalk, that's right I said Stone can pull "me", the majority of our rides are at a speed where he is at a canter, NOT A FULL RUN.  You can hurt them really bad if you start right off riding too fast or too long on concrete so be careful.  I know they do sell dog shoes you can for them to wear too. 

But yeah Stone freaks out when I touch his riding harness he absolutely loves riding.  Bailey could care less and I have yet to introduce Six to it this year yet but I'll have them both out there soon enough.

Best thing is when we get home its almost like they spent the day at Arda's!! 

And the looks I get with two Dobermans strapped to my bike going down the road I might as well have a flying car!!

Attached File  petego-cycleash-universal-bicycle-leash-10.jpg   99.71KB   0 downloads

#15 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:51 PM

I'll bet that's a sight.  Sarah, we want a picture.

#16 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

That will absolutely be an option when she can walk on a leash with some manners. I used to ride with Tuxy sometimes.

#17 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

Bella was like that too once upon a time... She'd bark and jump and do all crazy things!!! And being Dobe the other dogs owners thought she wanted to attack... Working with her helped and a book I would recommend is click to Calm by Emma Parsons!

Giving her a behavior that diverts her is the best thing you can do. For Bella it was just a "look at me"... Once I could break her eye contact, we were half way there... But when she really got excited? It was really tough and that I would click right in her ear... That click got through to her brain and she knew she was gonna get something good and that would do it...

Somethings I did to break her attention was to turn her away, not always easy, walk between her and the distraction, and when all else failed take her by the snout and get her to look at me... A Halti really helped and while she never liked wearing it she knew if she settled down and listened to me, it could come off and she could be on a collar only.. But it did have to go back on and she would settle down real fast after that... Although she was older than your pup!!! :)

On the jumping... I only had to do it a few times and be careful she doesn't hit you in the face but I would stand over Bella so she could not jump up, a body block with my body... Like I said you have to be careful I did get clunked on the chin a time or two by not getting close enough... But she felt so bad hurting me that she thought twice sometimes... But if she does clunk you, make a big deal over it... Cry, whimper, and yipe like a dog would... And talk in much lower, gruff voice like the alpha would if growling/correcting her... She will start to think twice about hurting her alpha.... Same techniques I used in so many of the fosters I had for Arda...

You know, Stef, the obedience work is key so I know you will get there...

As for reinforcing the bad??? You only have a split second of good in the beginning but good clicker timing and a reward with getting better than the distraction, and those good moments will get longer...

I almost cried, after months of working with Bella, and the first time she looked to me first, when a dog was approaching, for a treat because of her quiet behavior instead of going crazy!!

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#18 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

Thanks Joni!!!

It's been fun watching the process - because I'm more aware this time. She will jump and then halfway into the jump have this "look" cross her face and then when she lands she offers the sit. It's hilarious. Like the excitement and happiness takes over but then she's like "Crap! I'm not supposed to do this." Hahahahaha!!! She's offering sits a LOT over the past 4-5 days. To go outside, to get a treat, to get attention. We're making progress!!! YAY!!

It's easy to forget how much learning needs to happen when they first come home. All the things Tux "knew" - "Ten more minutes.", "Dinner", "Backyard", sitting for dinner/treats/etc., waiting to get the leash on, wiping feet, etc. We have come a long, long way over the past 6 weeks. And thanks to Cheri I ordered another 5 books for my library.... :D

#19 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:47 AM

funny how we forget the initial training time before we "mesh" with them and know them so well and they know us... :D

glad to hear you two are making good progress!!!

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#20 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

You could share the titles of those books with all of us who forgot what having a Kangaroo Puppy is like.

I'll tell all of you this for sure....................I wouldn't trade Chaos for any dog on this earth.  He is just the best dog on earth.  My brother stopped out yesterday to bring me some blueberries and strawberries.  John is terrified of all dogs.  He was a paper boy 60 years ago.  Chaos meets him at the door and says "Hi" and follows him in.  John sits down and Chaos climbs up in his chair as if he was going to have a nice talk with John.  I fixed the coffee and poured a cup for John and one for me.  Chaos climbs up behind me in a chair to join in the coffee break.  And there the three of us sit sipping away on coffee.  The strawberries were those great big suckers.  I rolled one around in the sugar bowl like Sarah and I do and took a bite.  His head comes over my shoulder as I took a bite and handed him the rest of it.  I'm sure I heard him say "Thanks".  Then I see John reach out on the table and pick up a dog bone and gives it to him.  Yes, he can melt the heart of any chicken.  And then we get a puppy in here.  She is no match.  Let's see what we can make out of her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users