157 replies to this topic

#1 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:33 PM

Mary was down today and adopted Titan. Titan was a favorite of just about everyone he met. Titan sure looked happy getting in that car to leave the kennel. We wish him and Mary well, and look forward to updates and pictures.

Attached Files

#2 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:48 PM

Mary, that is so wonderful that you took Titan. We know he will fill your heart and home with joy.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#3 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

I can't stress enough what a great boy Titan is. He was good as gold on the way home, and let me tell ya I was the stressed one. The normal 2-hour drive, took 3-1/2 hours due to construction. It was hot and annoying. At one point we were stopped and a pickup was next to us. Titan had his head out the window and the moron in the truck kept yelling to Titan, "Where's your moma, where's your moma?" Titan and I both just gave him one of those, "Are you nuts?" look. He met the rest of the family, my son, Oreo-our cat, and Cocoa-our dog, He was great with both and they with him. He loves the back yard, refuses to chase balls, but when he runs in the yard he is as graceful and beautiful as Adonis was. Arda, I am keeping my promise and have not had my head or face down by his. He is a great addition to our family. Thanks to all of you. Mary, Brandon, Cocoa, Oreo, and Titan.

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#4 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:30 PM

OK....Now I am officially crying. I am so happy that Titan is in his forever home.
When I met him at the meet and greet he was the most gentle guy I have seen. I was sitting on the bench and he just came right up and sat down next to me like.....How you doing?
He is going to make a wonderful addition to your family.
Please, PLEASE keep us posted with pictures and stories.
CONGRATS TITAN.....YOU ARE FINALLY HOME!

Michelle & Rusty

#5 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:01 PM

OH Yeah Titan. When we were there he lookes so tall and Noble. Congrats. :D

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#6 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

YEA ! YEA! for Titan. :D
He is such a special guy :D
Happy Beginnings to all :D

#7 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:20 PM

This is sooo cool & I am so totally thrilled for you & for Titan. He is one handsome dude & I'm sure he will bring you a lot of happiness in the years to come. Congrats :D

#8 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:24 PM

Mary,

I am so glad to hear that you have adopted Titan. Like I said to you last night, I had a feeling that Titan would be going home with you and this was before you told me you were going out today to check him out. Thank you for opening your heart and home to this wonderful guy. I am certain that he will make a wonderfully loyal canine companion and best friend to you and your family. :D

:D Cheryl & Cocoa

Edited by CAB, 02 July 2005 - 09:27 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#9 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

Well, Mary, I know you must be on cloud nine right now and I am so happy that Titan now has a way to get to cloud nine too. I can see both of you sitting there together with a backdrop of blue sky and white puffy clouds. :D

Larry had to run over and see the picture of you two because he has a real soft spot for Titan and really appreciated the time you helped me watch our girls at the meet and greet. This match is particularly important to us personally.

May this be the beginning of a wondrous life together.

God Bless you both.

Jane and Larry

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#10 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:58 AM

Our first night went well, I thought. My son thinks differently. Titan is such a well behaved dog. My son has a puppy of about 9 weeks old and about 9 lbs. Titan sniffed him out when we first got home and pretty much ignored him, the same for Cocoa, and our cat, Oreo. As the evening wore on Cocoa decided she was afraid of Titan. Titan wanted to play and so did Cocoa, but Cocoa just kept whining. This has never happened before with Cocoa. She usually doesn't want much to do with dogs. She was closest to Adonis, but even then she didn't put up with any crap from him, but she would give him Adonis baths all over his face and ears, and he loved it, of course-what man doesn't love a woman fussing over him? She was never afraid of him or Brady, but Titan...I don't know, and he just wants to play with her. My son's pup, Mollie on the other hand was at first terrified and Titan ignored her, and then she decided he was ok and she started nipping at his feet and being a pest, well-l-l-l-l-l-l, that didn't settle well with our big boy. He showed his teeth, growled, and nipped at her when she came near him.
Titan won't be left alone with any of the animals for a very long time until everyone settles in and gets comfortable.
The big problem here is my family and a couple of friends are very negative and vocal about my adoption of 1-a dobe, and 2-a dobe that has been in rescue. They are now judging all rescue dobes by Brady. My son has informed me that he is "uncomfortable" being alone with Titan-he hasn't been. He has the typical teenage attitude-and no one is going to change it because he is right, and Titan growled at his puppy, you know.
We had a nice little family discussion last night with my son, my niece, and a friend and they were told that Titan is here to stay, he has done nothing wrong, he is the best behaved dog we have ever had, he is laid back, he does not terrorize any one or any thing. Stop judging him. And we all sat down and watched a movie and ate popcorn.
This morning Titan is doing beautifully. He has become much more comfortable and trusting with me. He has not growled at Mollie, but I already know that Mollie and Cocoa have to be fed at different times than Titan. He is uncomfortable having the other animals around when he is eating.
Will keep you updated and will get pictures soon. Mary, Brandon, Cocoa, Mollie, Titan, and Oreo
PS Any suggestions as to how to get the attitudes to change-although I know that my son's won't because he doesn't want it to.

Edited by oreo5129, 03 July 2005 - 09:02 AM.

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#11 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:13 AM

Yay! For Titan finding such a wonderful forever home!!!!! Like Michelle said, I also had the chance to meet him and he was such a wonderful, calm, loving dog. When he approached all the dogs at the meet and greet, Mackey (my dog) growled at him and he growled back but it wasn't anything to worry about, Mackey thought he was protecting the pups and Titan said he wasn't taking any crap :D (Nothing that a couple minute walk didn't fix). After coming back it was like they never did that to each other. I'm so glad for him that Mary and family have adopted him. Don't worry everyone will start getting along soon and it sounds like you have complete control over everything and I'm sure it won't take long till it all works out for you and the rest of your family (kids, cats and dogs)! :D :D

Larry

Edited by mihalik1413, 03 July 2005 - 09:20 AM.

#12 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:26 AM

Well, I think that there requires an adjustment period for all the animals especially since there is a new kid in the household. Just give it time Mary. I have never had more than one canine companion at a time, so I really can't offer much more advice than this. I'm sure those with experience will be able to offer you some great advice. Just hang in there, okay? :D People who are negative regarding animals that come from rescue are very narrow minded. :D I have some friends who have a Dobe and got him from a breeder. They would have never considered getting a Dobe from rescue. And they absolutely loved my Niko, who was a rescue dog. :D

Edited by CAB, 03 July 2005 - 09:31 AM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#13 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:51 AM

Hi Mary
Its Kelly, we adopted Myles on June 18th. Myles is 7-8 month old puppy. He seems to stand about an inch or two taller than Dakota. He can be at times full of pi$$
and vinegar. Dakota didn't want anything to do with him at first. If he came by here she up and move. He figured this out and moved in on her bed. Well we straightend that right out He has his own and we made him get off hers. Now that we are in our house with a full fenced back yard (parents isn't fully fenced) we can let them off leash and boy does he have her running around like a nut at times. There are still times where he pesters her to much and she'll growl or nip to let him know hey I'm not in the MOOD. When he gets to doing this and he doesn't settle down we put him outside alone for a while to run off his puppy energy. They have their spats with pecking order. My feed them in different rooms mainly because Myles inhales his food and will go eat Dakota's. Good luck with Titan, hopefully everyone will settle in soon.
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#14 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:10 AM

I have absolutely no concerns over the animals and their abiltiy to become a family. Animals are not bigots. I am floored at how well Titan has done in such a short period of time. What a stressful situation for him, starting with a 31/2 hour drive.
My distain is for the people in my life. I am sure that you've noticed that most negative emotions come from people, not animals, and the negative emotions-such as distrust, etc that animals exhibit have been the result of humans. I love Titan, I love the breed. Family and friends will have to deal with it.
Mary and her gang

Stanley Coren

#15 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:25 AM

I am sure that you've noticed that most negative emotions come from people, not animals, and the negative emotions-such as distrust, etc that animals exhibit have been the result of humans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen!

-Arda Barber

#16 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:51 AM

Mary!
Congrats, and good for you! I had to do the same with Brody, just told everyone, "He's here to stay, so get used to it." pretty much.
I'm so happy for you, and wishing everyone well with the new addition to the family! Titan is such a sweetheart, and I'm sure with time to adjust everyone will get along JUST fine! :D

#17 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

Mary it sounds like you have things under control. I'm sure your son will start thinking different once he see's how good they get along once they get used to each other. Titan will probably start protecting your sons puppy and for that I'm sure he will be grateful.
Thanks again for opening up your heart to Titan!!!

Michelle $ Rusty

#18 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:41 PM

Hey Swamp Mama or any one else who might know. Do dogs emit a scent of some kind that other dogs smell that lets them know just how far they can go with this particular dog? Case in point-my Cocoa wants to play with Titan and Titan wants and tries to play with her, but she just whines and won't. She chases Titan in the yard whining fearfully all the while she is running after him. Our next door neighbor's yellow lab, Charlie, on the other side of the fence who is very vocal with other dogs around-barks his fool head off, has been silent with Titan. Titan came up to the fence and they sniffed through the wire links and got acquainted and then Titan cocked his leg and promptly pi$$ed on Charlie and walked away. He is a goof, that Titan. Mary and gang

Stanley Coren

#19 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:32 PM

Mary,
To help people get over their negativity with your new dober-gentleman, you may want to consider achieving his canine good citizen title or even a therapy dog title. Titan would be an excellent candidate for this with his soft, gentle temperament. People are always impressed when they find out my girls are CGC and Chyna is a therapy dog. Most folks think only the most well-bred, golden retrievers or labs can be therapy dogs....well, Chyna proves them wrong every month! Look on the forum for Daisy and Joni's posts about canine good citizen testing...it's worth it:)
Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#20 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I understand how you're feeling about the attitude of some people. When I adopted Tux, my parents were NOT pleased. They were very concerned that one day he would "turn" on me. They were quite concerned that he was a rescue and that this would somehow mar his personality.

It used to really upset me and I would stress about it for hours on end.

Needless to say, Tux managed to change their minds - not me. I could talk about the breed, about their purpose, about their nature and their love - but I couldn't make my parents seem him for anything other than the killers they had seen in movies and heard stories about. It was him, walking up and putting his head in their laps. His little tail wiggling. His eyes looking up with happiness at the attention.

It's been almost 4 months and we were at the dog park the other day ... my mom was going on and on to someone there about how sweet natured the dobes are and how wonderfully loving he is. How they are big softies that are playful and silly. About how they're smart and eager to learn. How so many people have the wrong impression because of how they look and what they've been portrayed as. It made my heart soar knowing that Tux has reached one person with his wonderfully sweet nature and beautiful spirit.

I know this won't solve your concerns, but Titan will solve those all by himself. He is a beautiful dog and very lucky to have someone who cares as much as you do.

Congratulations! :D
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users