• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Coopernlucy

Coopernlucy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

Jax started losing hair above his eye. Any ideas? No shampoo or food changes. It started about a week ago. He's not itching it or rubbing it. I've been putting aloe on it and neosporin at night. Attached File  IMG_0440.JPG   85.64KB   0 downloads

#2 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

That is strange.  I don't know what could cause a pattern like that.  Has he had his thyroid checked lately?  That would not be the typical thyroid hair loss scenario, but when mine was found to have low thyroid, the only place her hair was thin was on her ears, so I guess it can express itself weirdly sometimes.  There's also the possibility of external parasites, like mange, although, again, the pattern is not typical.  Maybe some kind of dermatitis.

That part of the skull is prominent and could have gotten scraped on something, but you'd think if that was the case, the skin would be scratched or at least red.  If it's been over a week and there's no sign of hair growing back, I'd probably opt for a vet visit.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#3 dobie sunshine

dobie sunshine

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

The only think I can think of is an allergic reaction from a bug bite. I know my sisters cat had an allergic reaction from a flee bite and lost her hair, but it did grow back.

#4 Coopernlucy

Coopernlucy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Thank you for the thoughts, I think a vet visit is in order.

#5 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:24 AM

Let us know what the vet says.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#6 Coopernlucy

Coopernlucy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

The vet scraped his patch....demodex mites. He gave me a medicated salve.

#7 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

Well, it's good you got a definite diagnosis on your first vet visit!  So you can start treatment right away and take care of it.  My understanding is the demodectic mites are a less serious issue than the sarcoptic type.  Did the vet say how long it generally takes to clear up?  I'm just curious since I don't have any personal experience with it.

#8 Coopernlucy

Coopernlucy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

Yes! Less serious for sure and should clear up in 7-10 days. The mites mate and reproduce in the bottom of the hair follicle pushing the hair out. Once clear, the hair will come back. It is very rare to happen once the immune system is fully developed, at 2 years. All dogs have the mites. It's the immune systems job to keep their numbers low enough that there are no infestations. The main ingredient in heart worm helps to keep the number of mites down too. I really love our vet. He's thorough and great at explaining!

#9 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:25 AM

It's true, all dogs have a certain number of the mites.  And we humans have our share of mites and other microscopic creatures that hitch a ride on our bodies or live in our homes.  (Dust mites, anyone?)  It's something that could be pretty creepy if we think about it too much (or see them under extreme magnification!). But it's just a fact of life on Earth.

Good luck to Jax.  I hope he gets his hair back soon. :)

#10 DianaWelch

DianaWelch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:06 AM

The vet scraped his patch....demodex mites. He gave me a medicated salve.

Just what I thought. My dog also experienced that and the hair loss was getting worse. His hair loss is caused by an allergic reaction from flea bites. He was under medication for 2 months and the vet also gave us maintenance pills. By the way, how's your dog now?

#11 FrankSimple

FrankSimple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

What specific dog maintenance pills were you given, Diana?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users