#1 kbiondo

kbiondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:56 AM

Hello everyone!

Many of you know that we belong to Gus, (Chaos's brother) and whenever we experience a health concern with him, I run to the forum to get advice. We have noticed within the last year that his back right leg has started to shake when he stands. It has gotten worse and at times he limps. He is not over exercised, we walk him daily but not vigorously. At the vet recently, I asked her about it, she noticed it and said not to worry.... It has gotten more frequent since then and the limp has started. I don't think that it is Whobblers, he is not presenting symptoms like Riley did. Anyone have any ideas? He does not appear to be in pain,  could it be arthritis? Arda, does Chaos do the same thing?

Just wondering

Kelly Biondo

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

Chaos is too lazy to shake.  Hunden's legs do that.  Have for years.  Do you have him on Glyco Flex?  I put Chaos on Glyco Flex II a few years ago for joint support because of his size.  Not sure it helps but I feel like I'm doing something and it isn't hurting him.  I can't stress enough their weight.  They are big and have a tendency to put on weight very easily.  Chaos and Bonnie Blue fight the weight thing all the time.  Chaos seems to move better when I have him on a low dose of Meloxicam.  Almost like arthritis but it doesn't show on xrays.  We are thinking that it might be soft tissue problem with him.  He's never going to over exercise.  I think Bedlam is getting more life out of him right now than all the others put together but she starts school on Monday and he will return to his bed.  What ever will we do without any of these big giants.  My life will surely end.  I do love him too much.  Ask your vet about trying a small dose of Meloxicam for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.  But please let me know.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 kbiondo

kbiondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:19 AM

His weight is not a problem. He weighs in at 95 lbs. I will call the vet today and get him in this week. I will have them xray his hip to look for arthritis. I find the soft tissue idea interesting. If nothing shows on the xray, I'll inquire about that, and I will definitely ask about the medication. I will keep you posted. Gus would love to come and visit. We will be there as soon as you ok it....  :smiling:

Kelly Biondo

#4 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

Cocoa has this. Vet said it's Myopathy. There is a med that can help but I can't remember the name of it. 

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#5 kbiondo

kbiondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

Thank you, I will ask about that on Friday when we go.

Kelly Biondo

#6 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

The med I have is called Cholodin. 

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#7 kbiondo

kbiondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

I didn't forget to post, Gus goes to the vet tomorrow at 4:30. I did have to make an emergency appointment today for the cat, so while I was there, I talked to her about Gus because now his limp is much more pronounced. She said she would definitely be checking him for some sort of knee issue, curciate  ligament injury? Sounds expensive.... :Sigh:  :Nail Biting:

Kelly Biondo

#8 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:24 PM

We are waiting to here.  And I'm praying it isn't some of the same type of problems that we see here.

#9 kbiondo

kbiondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

OK! We are home. He has a partial  tear in the curciate  ligament. They gave him Meloxicam and have given strict orders for him to rest and not to be overly active.... LOL! That made me laugh! I told them that wouldn't be a problem! :LMAO:

Kelly Biondo

#10 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:53 PM

These vets just have no idea about our lazy boys.  Did they tell you for how long?  Can it heal on it's own?  I just got word a half hour ago that Thumper has 2 torn ACLs.  Omi has one more to go.  It's like an epidemic.  Knowing Chaos I can't believe that Gus over did his play.  He'll have bed sores.  Please keep us updated on this.

#11 kbiondo

kbiondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

Well, she said 1 whole pill today, and a half a pill a day until gone. We go back in a week to have him rechecked. This is will not heal the tear. So, why are they going this way? I have no idea. I would think that surgery now will give him an easier recovery. Seems like they are prolonging the inevitable. You're right Arda, Gus does not over do anything. So, how this could have happened is a mystery.  On a positive note, he weighed 93.4 lbs today, not bad.

Kelly Biondo

#12 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:15 AM

That 93.4 pounds for one of these big lugs is really good.  Doesn't make sense to me.

#13 Paul and Carie

Paul and Carie

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

Add Rowan to the torn ACL club. She goes in next Wednesday for TPLO surgery. It will be a real trick keeping her quiet with Strasse running around like a loon! Luckily Razor can step in to keep the sanity. He's our own version of the fun governor.

#14 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

It's like an epidemic of ACLs.  Who's on the Health Dobe sight?  Anyone.  Linda or Sarah?  We need input.

#15 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

The ACL is one of the easiest injuries they get especially when they are big!!!  They can jump down a step land a tiny bit wrong and tear it...  I thought Bella had torn hers back in the day when she was limping, and it turned out to be bone cancer.  So thankful it is not the case for you... but the bigger they are the more susceptible they are, I would think... it is the weakest link in the chain of their leg...

I thought I had read that the ACL would eventually heal on it's own, but it is and EXTENDED, like 6 months, healing process with the only exercise to go out and potty and very little else.  The problem during that is keeping muscle tone...  it is a balancing act.  But I researched this almost 6 years ago so I could be remembering wrong...

do some research on ACL tears...  and good luck!!! sorry I can't be of more help...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#16 ohiodobe

ohiodobe

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

It's like an epidemic of ACLs.  Who's on the Health Dobe sight? Anyone.Linda or Sarah?  We need input.

. I am not much help. Only faced it once 10 years ago. The protocols have changed for the better. Mainly trust your vet but if the slightest doubt get a second opinon, it depends on how well you can control activity. For some rest and meds but this is a long recuperation. Then again the surgery can be very expensive. So as in most things use your gut, use the vet, ask tons of questions, and then you just do the best for your dog. Another issue is pain meds. These dobes can be a struggle to keep on crate rest and leashes if the pain is managed too well. No easy answers at all. Same with life in general I guess. Linda

Edited by ohiodobe, 21 July 2015 - 09:54 AM.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principle difference between a dog and a man." ---- Mark Twain

#17 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

I know none of us are vets but what we go through with out dogs is very valuable information.  At this point April is using her leg.  She was repaired June 16.  It's weak and I sure am not pushing her.  But Omi was done on June 15 and he is not using his at all.  I am real worried about him.  It just seems to be so many of them.  Like Mars said, people dump their dogs when they think of the price to fix them and that's where we come in.  Fixing everyone's problems.

#18 Sonnydobe

Sonnydobe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

I was reading an article today posted on First Class Dog Training with Hector Hernandez, and to basically summarize the article it states that dogs that are spayed and neutered early in life have a significantly high incidence of ACL rupture than their intact counterparts, regardless of the breed and size.  The tibia bone normally stops growing at 12-14 months, in a neutered dog it continues to grow,  and an abnormal angle may develop at the stifle.  In addition with the extra growth,  the lower leg below the stifle becomes heavier (because its longer now) and causes increased stresses on ligaments.  Since hormones are vital in muscle and bone growth in a developing dog, when a dog is neutered too early not only does it increase ACL ruptures, but it also increases hip displasia, bone cancer and thyroid issues.  Not all dogs that are neutered early get this problem and dogs that intact could also rupture a ligament but it stresses that the hormones for males and females are there for other reasons besides reproducing. 

Of course in rescue its not possible because dogs that are not fixed before they leave could be bred by some backyard breeder, so your damned if you do or dont either way but it did seem to make sense.  Every few years the vets change what we should be doing for the health of our dogs! 

#19 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

Thanks big time for that review.  I sure don't want to hold these guys till they are a year old or more but I sure hate to see these problems either.  Like you said, " Darned if we do and darned if we don't".  We can't trust people to not breed so we have to do it for them.  I would not trust my own brother.  Seen too much in my life time.  Yes I would take a dozen more Chaos' but none of you would get them.  And may I add that he was the only kid here today that behaved himself.

#20 kbiondo

kbiondo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

An update.... I'm not sure what is in that pill, but this dog has gone and lost his mind! He is more active now than he has EVER been in his life! His leg does not seem to be shaking as much either. We are amazed. Maybe not a serious injury after all. We went camping over the weekend and he was running around like a nut! Maybe that is all he needed.

Kelly Biondo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users