37 replies to this topic

#1 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

I've been thinking about switching my dogs to a raw diet. Does anyone here feed raw and have any information they'd like to share? :( How cost effective is it compared to feeding an all kibble diet? I know it's going to be way more involved that just dumping kibble in a bowl when it comes to preparing the meals, but it's something I really won't mind doing, especially if it's better for my dogs.

Any books out there anyone can recommed? :Sick:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#2 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

Here's some information on the BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) diet:

http://www.barfprodu...om/barfdiet.htm
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#3 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

Some good information from Bravo raw diets:

http://www.bravorawd...m/rawdiets.html

http://www.bravorawd...hyrawdiets.html

http://www.bravorawd...com/safety.html

#4 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:50 AM

Stef feeds a raw diet.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#5 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

An inexpensive book that seems like a good starting point :( :

http://www.switchingtoraw.com/

#6 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

Some more information:

http://www.monicasegal.com/

#7 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

I feed raw/homecooked. I feed muscle meat/liver only though - no RMB's. I experimented with chicken wings - but it just made me nervous. I do feed recreational bones though - they get those 4-5 times a week.

I was unsure about just feeding meat so I bought "The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog" because I have a friend that feeds it and her dogs are in beautiful shape. The diet is REALLY involved ... it requires a lot of supplements and it's time intensive to prepare - but the diet has been around for a long time and they suggest blood work before and during and have blood work from a large number of dogs to support it.

They get meat/liver/supplements/etc. in the morning and then a cooked cereal meal (buckwheat/oats)/yogurt/molasses/egg/vitamins at night. I cook every morning and it sits until dinner. I chop up the meat when I buy it and then freeze it in portions.

My guys look gorgeous! Their teeth are also completely tartar free now. It's worth it as far as I'm concerned. It is a lot of work and it costs about the same as the Eagle Pack I was feeding...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#8 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

I think I'm going to give it a shot. I was thinking I could prepare the food in bulk and freeze it into patties (I'd have to grind the meat and veggies, of course). I could just top dress it with any supps. that need to be added. Hope hubby doesn't mind me borrowing his beer grain mill every so often. :(

I had a parrot many years ago that I did the same thing for. She had a very diverse diet of veggies, fruits, grains beans, you name it. No bird seed for that queen! :) I'll just have to get used to doing it on a larger scale. :Sick:

#9 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

I don't feed completely raw but do try to suppliment with raw meals on the weekends, and about 3 times a week in the summer. I would like to go totally raw since I have a local bulk supplier but don't have a chest freezer yet....hopefully soon.

Here is a great site to help get you started: http://www.rawdogranch.com/

Lots and lots of info and even an excel sheet you can use to calculate how much you will need to feed your dogs.

Also, two of Tom Londsdale's books are available online.

Raw Meaty Bones: http://www.rawmeatyb.../book-full.html
and
Work Wonders: http://www.rawmeatyb...om/book-ww.html

Hope that helps!

#10 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

I like the information on that rawdogranch.com site! Thanks for posting it! :(

#11 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hey Kevin...check this out: http://www.rawdogran.../musclemeat.htm

Might help Juno? I know it's not a cure, but every little bit might help, ya know?

#12 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:33 PM

Here is an interesting testimonial to raw feeding if anyone is interested

http://www.cinnamondog.com/

#13 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Here is an interesting testimonial to raw feeding if anyone is interested

http://www.cinnamondog.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might not be able to go total raw. I have four dogs and no chest freezer. I don't have any where to store the stuff! :(

#14 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

I might not be able to go total raw.  I have four dogs and no chest freezer.  I don't have any where to store the stuff!  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know...that's my problem. With the 2 I have I would go through around 180lbs of meat a month. No way will that fit in my freezer!

But I have been able to find rabbit at Meijers, and some good variety in meat (lamb, pork, beef, veal, chicken) at the grocery store, along with beef liver. So I can compile a decent meal every now and then. More in the summer when they can eat outside and not make a mess in the house!

#15 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:42 PM

I know...that's my problem. With the 2 I have I would go through around 180lbs of meat a month. No way will that fit in my freezer!

But I have been able to find rabbit at Meijers, and some good variety in meat (lamb, pork, beef, veal, chicken) at the grocery store, along with beef liver. So I can compile a decent meal every now and then. More in the summer when they can eat outside and not make a mess in the house!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Feeding this way, how does it compare, price-wise, to feeding an all kibble diet?

Do you also feed vegetables? I'm finding information from those who say to do it and those who say not to. I do know dogs can't digest the vegetables on their own so they have to be pureed...and I've seen them pass right through my dogs completely undigested when I give them whole so can attest to this! :(

#16 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:53 PM

and I've seen them pass right through my dogs completely undigested when I give them whole so can attest to this!  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here. I have found pieces of carrots in the nuggets outside. :Sick:
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#17 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

My mom bought me a chest freezer 3 weeks ago. I think she was feeling sorry for me not being able to buy meat on sale ... :Sick: Whoohooo!! Go mom!!

Because I feed grains/meat it's easier. I go through 10lbs of muscle meat, 3lbs. of liver, 8 eggs and 2 500g containers of cottage cheese a week for my two. It's a little more manegeable - but the supplements are more expensive for me. (Although I found a killer deal on bonemeal at COBO.) The veggies are cooked - so they digest them, but sometimes I see eggshells come through.

I buy meat on sale - and I watch flyers... I feed beef - so it's usually rump, chuck, etc. roasts. I got sirloin roasts a couple weeks ago - but they were 15lbs. each - it was a whole lot of butchering! :(
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#18 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

Will it surfice if I just walk a cow through my yard once in a while. I comend you all but, I think I will sit this one out. And I'll bet Kevin will too. He can't even eat his own peeps.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#19 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

I posed the idea to Brandon of raising our own chickens and rabbits...the idea didn't sit too well with him, and I'd have a hard time bringing myself to butcher the little critters. :(

#20 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

:(
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users