8 replies to this topic

#1 ScarredWolf

ScarredWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

My Doberman, Felix, will be 6 in September. He had a gastropexy last year after he bloated. He has gotten bloaty a few times since then but nothing too extreme. He has started to bloat twice in the last week in the middle of the night. He will throw up a bunch and refuses to eat anything at the time. He is eating fine otherwise and pooping still so I don't think there is a blockage.

I have a three week old baby at home now and I think he may be getting too stressed out when she cries. He likes the baby and does seem to get upset when she is upset. Does anyone have any advice? Should I try giving him something to keep him calm, like the natural herbal products or pheromones?

He eats kibble right now. I soak it for 20 minutes in water before giving it to him. Is there something else that would work better? Like, giving him some wet food too? Or cooking meals for him? Any advice on the subject of bloat is appreciated.

#2 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

Congratulations on your new baby :Party: . You are doing what I always do.....adding warm water to the food before I give it to them. I add a couple spoonfuls of wet food or leftovers from the fridge as well. I feed mine first thing in the morning and they usually go back to bed afterwards for a little while. Don't let Felix run around a lot after he eats. Regarding baby, if you are getting stressed out, he will too. I know how hard it can be when you are completely sleep deprived, but try to make it a calm, positive time when baby cries. Once baby is in your arms, reassure Felix too that it's all good :Four Leaf Clover: . It's a new little cub in his eyes, so he is just doing his job to be worried about the future of the pack....LOL. I bet he'll settle down a bit in a week or so when it becomes the norm for his household. Pics would be great you know :Idea:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

I think I'd do a little rescue remedy or what ever your vet recommends to help calm him. Maybe smaller meals more times a day. Cheri - what do you use to calm yours. Shannen - what would yu use. I sometimes use Benedryl or Ace if it's bad enough. Whatever it takes to calm the stomach.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 ScarredWolf

ScarredWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Thanks! :) I have started feeding him four times a day instead of two. I was thinking about trying Rescue Remedy. Is it the same stuff that people use too? My doula brought some over. Does anyone know what the dosage would be for a dog?

How do I add pictures?

#5 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Okay, I just composed a long reply, and somehow lost it. Arrgghh! So I'll try again. First, congratulations on your new little one! A new baby in the house is certainly a big change and even though it is a joyful thing, there can be stressors. If Felix has never heard babies cry, for example, it seems natural that he would be worried. And he's probably picking up on your moods caused by a lack of sleep, etc.

If his symptoms are just stress-related, hopefully, that will diminish pretty quickly as he gets used to the new routine. I have used this product, which I believe is quite similar to Rescue Remedy:

http://b-naturals.co...html?cPath=23_5

Does it work? Eh, the jury is still out. I haven't had too many occasions to need it, but it might have helped a little. If Felix's symptoms of vomiting and loss of appetite continue for much longer, though, I think I would want a vet visit.

As far as feeding, I was going to suggest more frequent, smaller meals, but you just posted that you are already doing that. Here's a product I have used when one of mine was having digestive issues, and I continue to use it a few times a week now, just for good measure. It's a combination of probiotics and digestive enzymes.

http://b-naturals.co...tml?cPath=22_15

I should say I have no personal experience with bloat, and I'm not a health professional, so you might want to check with your vet before adding any supplements. Good luck!

Edited by Cheri, 03 July 2013 - 02:59 PM.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#6 ohiodobe

ohiodobe

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

I've been to lectures about bloat and read many articles. By far the majority and the vets almost 100% say to give Gas X. The emergency clinic here also give it when a bloat or suspected bloat comes in.(they charge around $10 for a dose)All the standard poodle, bloodhound, and other owners of deep chested dogs I know carry it in their pockets and cars. You can use any generic version but it must contain simethicone. You are very lucky Felix was tacked! That takes some of the emergency of the situation away. Congrats on the baby! Dogs, especially dobes tend to worry when babies cry. My Willie cries when the the neighbors 3 year old cries. Linda
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principle difference between a dog and a man." ---- Mark Twain

#7 ScarredWolf

ScarredWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Ah, I just saw that the rescue remedy for pets is alcohol free. I guess I will have to get him his own. The vomiting and lack of interest in food only last for the episode of bloating. Aside from that he is his normal self. A little more protective of the house though, lol.

#8 ScarredWolf

ScarredWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I do give him simethicone pills when he starts getting bloaty. They seem to help a lot usually.

#9 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

you can give pepcid over the counter to help his stomach....10mg should be fine for his size.. smaller meals, more often... soak the food as you have been,.,., there isnt alot more you can do.. it happens no matter what you do... unfortunatley...
I agree with Karen,, if you are stressed ,, he is gonna know it and be stressed himself.... introduce them slowly,,, let him smell baby...
i dont like ace promazine in the dobes anymore.. can put them out to much and its scarey ... you can give him a benedryl to chill him out too.,,...
sharen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users