• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 griessek

griessek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

How long have you had her? How old is she? Many people on this forum know alot more about Dobes than I. Marten came to us at about 2yrs old last September. In June we got Heidi also around 2 years old to keep Marten company. They have both gone through alot in their short lives. I just try to always be sure they know that I love them BUT that I'm in charge. The SMOTC classes really helped Marten. He finished Beginner last winter and Advanced in the spring. Heidi will be going to Beginner in September. You can begin working with your girl now. Alot of exercise seems to calm them down and work out the antsiness. Also working on the lead while walking, sitting when you stop and the other basic stuff, reinforces that she's not in charge. You are. If you have specific questions, feel free to post them on the forum. Everyone is really helpful to make suggestions and recommend on-line sites or books to read. Also important is crate training. Do you separate her in her crate when she's acting up? I give them one of my serious "talks" where I explain the consequences of their continuing to do something I don't like. If they don't listen, then the know they're getting time out in their crates. Keep at it. It will all work out. :P
Marten & Heidi's Mom
Jan

We have had her for a year. She will be two in September. She is already got her CGC, but I on the other hand am just learning the dog world. So she is getting away with way to much I am sure. She does have a crate and I have put her in it or sent her to another room away from us when she has acted up. She always wants to be with me. I contacted SMOTC because she cannot wear a collar. I got her from a breeder that had to give her away because she had a cough. It is not kennel cough, but gets pneumonia very easy (2 times since last July$$$$). Anyway her vet doesn't want her to wear a collar. SMOTC said they are willing to work with me so I am very hopeful to start her there in September. She is very anxious so much so that she bites and licks all the hair off of her rear flank and part of her stomach and "girl parts", no sores though. I was going to post that in the health part of the forum for advice. She is as bad as my 5 & 7 year old sons!!!! Always something, but she is my girl!!!

#22 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:17 PM

She is very anxious so much so that she bites and licks all the hair off of her rear flank and part of her stomach and "girl parts", no sores though. I was going to post that in the health part of the forum for advice. She is as bad as my 5 & 7 year old sons!!!! Always something, but she is my girl!!!

Rescue Remedy, Valerian, or Melatonin can help with the nervousness... Rescue Remedy is always on hand in our house and, in fact, Skitter and Bella got 2 drops this afternoon as we had people in and out all day loading up the last of the stuff in the house and also packing up the last of the stuff... They were in Bella's crate together but Skitter was very nervous and on-edge all day... A couple of drops and they were both resting quietly in the crate...

Valerian is an herb that promotes relaxation. Melatonin promotes sleep... It's something that the body, human and canine, to promote sleep and enhance the normal sleep cycles... I know Arda would recommend Benadryl but I have had a time or two when it wired up the dog more than it relaxed them...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#23 griessek

griessek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

Rescue Remedy, Valerian, or Melatonin can help with the nervousness... Rescue Remedy is always on hand in our house and, in fact, Skitter and Bella got 2 drops this afternoon as we had people in and out all day loading up the last of the stuff in the house and also packing up the last of the stuff... They were in Bella's crate together but Skitter was very nervous and on-edge all day... A couple of drops and they were both resting quietly in the crate...

Valerian is an herb that promotes relaxation. Melatonin promotes sleep... It's something that the body, human and canine, to promote sleep and enhance the normal sleep cycles... I know Arda would recommend Benadryl but I have had a time or two when it wired up the dog more than it relaxed them...

Where could I get these products, i am all about trying anything for her.

#24 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:28 AM

Where could I get these products, i am all about trying anything for her.

at any health food or vitamin shop... I usually get them at Vitamin Shoppe or www.vitacost.com

Joni
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

#25 Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:44 PM

Well I'm always looking for something to settle them down also. I prefer exercise and play, but sometimes that is not possible. When I come home from work and they're all wound up, I sometimes don't have the patience for them. Marten has been a licker from the beginning. I am using DinoVites as a food supplement plus the doggie fish oil capsules that the Vet recommended. Plus I only bath him with Hydra Pearls shampoo because it is so moisturizing for the skin. This has resolved the licking relating to physical issues like dry skin. The rest I am sure is do to nerves. How do you know how much of the Melatonin or Valerian to give them?
Marten & Heidi's Mom
Jan

#26 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:35 AM

How do you know how much of the Melatonin or Valerian to give them?

Ask your Vet. We have Dude on melatonin during the winter months, our Vet calculated how much he needed.
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#27 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

How do you know how much of the Melatonin or Valerian to give them?

definitely check with your vet but my PERSONAL rule of thumb is 1/4 to 1/2 half what is says as a "people" dose... after all they are 1/4 to 1/2 half the weight of a "people". I start with the 1/4 and work up as necessary

Joni

#28 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Dogs don't metabolize like humans so always check with your vet regarding the doses on these supplements.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users