#1 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:55 PM

Hey y'all...
My HUBBY just informed me of something...
Since we've OFFICIALLY decided that in the next year we're going to be moving, he wants to get another dog. As soon as Saturday, if I end up going out there, depending on his surgery, he'd be fine with it.
And.....he loves Leroy Brown...or "LB" as he's been referring to him.
SO..my question is this...do I have to fill out another adoption form, if we decide to go for it, or can I just let someone know on Saturday? You have all my info on file, anyways, from Brodeman...
He wants Brody to have a play pal...he's just SUCH a puppy, he thinks that having a second one would wear the other one out...HAHAHAHA...if he only knew.. ;)
Just thought I'd give the "heads-up", considering I fell in love with Leroy last itme I was there... ;) :)
~Jen, John, Aisy, Brodeman and.............Leroy?????~
P.S. IF that's a possibility, I WILL be bringing Brody out with me on Saturday, to see if him and Leroy get along ok. I think I remember Leroy being ok with other dogs, can't remember for sure. And Brody and Leroy are pretty much the same age, so ce la vie! (got the van, got PLENTY of room... wink wink)

#2 aanderson

aanderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

Jenny,

Why don't you give me a call either tonight (before 10pm) or Friday night and we can talk about it...ok?

Allison
586-716-5071

#3 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:06 PM

Sounds good, Allison...I'll give you a call shortly!
~Jen~

#4 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

Hi Jen,
It would be better if you got a girl for Brody to play with, it seems to
work out better than 2 boys together. Even tho they are young, as they
get older it can be a problem, Arda/I have had afew boys that got along
but it is few,far between. Boy/girl is a better match ;)
But Arda/Allison can tell you better.
JMHO ;)

#5 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:24 PM

Hey Daisy, I take ALL advice and opinion with serious consideration. I already spoke with Allison, and she suggested Delaney, who is just GORGEOUS, I didn't even see her on the site before Allison mentioned it.
I told my hubby, that, if I am able to go out there on Saturday, I'll keep my "sensors" open, especially to Delaney, but if the bond, or "feeling" isn't there, than there's plenty of time to find that perfect playmate for Brody. My hubby kind of just threw this in my lap tonight, so I have to think it over a bit, too, before I make up my mind for sure. I DO, however, find Delaney to be just a beautiful specimen of a dobiegirl!!! Brody, obviously, will have a LOT of say in who I bring home, whether this weekend or any other!!! ;)
AND...I take ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you and Arda offer in terms of advice/opinion. You've been around the breed a lot longer than I have, have a lot more experience, and know what you're talking about, and I take ALL your advice very, VERY seriously. I appreciate all comments and suggestions!!!
Thanks for all your time!!! ;)
~Jen~
(thinking about the possibility of adopting...again....but a girlie girl!!! )
Hopefully I'll be seeing SOME of you on Saturday, if I go!!! Looks like there won't be too many out there!!

#6 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

Hi Jen,
It would be better if you got a girl for Brody to play with, it seems to
work out better than 2 boys together. Even tho they are young, as they
get older it can be a problem, Arda/I have had afew boys that got along
but it is few,far between. Boy/girl is a better match :)
But Arda/Allison can tell you better.
JMHO ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jen - sorry about hijacking your thread... but it raised a question for me...

Hi Daisy,

Should I be at all concerned? We adopted Tux (Uno) over the weekend and him and my lab-x got along fine. We've had usual wrestling/tug games but nothing that I've been worried about. Will they not work out when Tux (Uno) grows up or is it a dobe/dobe concern?

;)

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#7 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:39 PM

Stef, don't even worry about it...threads get ALL over the place, NOT a big deal!!! ;)
~Jen~

#8 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

(thinking about the possibility of adopting...again....but a girlie girl!!! )

Eeeps! You almost brought me to tears! This would be so great, Jen!!

I would agree with Daisy on the girl/boy relationship. A boy would have been better for Tango, but because we see our in-laws so often and they have an alpha male, we chose a female. And they LOVE him and he LOVES them. Of course the two girls are always picking on each other, but they ;) their boyfriend!

I can't wait to see who you pick! How exciting! ;)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:31 PM

Hi Stef,
Labs seem to have a more laidback personiality than the dobes. Ive
seen where more labs/males & females get along fine. Plus since Tux is
a pup, he will learn that your lab mix is the adult.. Plus your putting alot
of training into both dogs, so if they get testy you will be able to be the
Alpha person to them & have them stop.
We have had alot of boys over the years as well as girls & the worst
fights Ive had were between 2 girls ;) !!! I guess I just aLways
would keep the boys seperated to avoid fights.
My friend had 2 male dobes, 1 neutered, 1 intact till age 2 1/2yrs as we
were showing him in conformation. She stayed on top & watched them
close, the old guy died acouple yrs ago. Shes a long time obed/agility
trainer & she always had close eye on them, let them know she was
Boss.

#10 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:58 PM

Allison, Jennymay, Arda,

Here is what I know about Delaney. She is a cropped and docked female. Gets along with other dogs. Cats we don't know about. She is up to date on all shots, spayed on 2/25/05 had a cyst removed from her left eyelid same day. Was already Avid chipped when we picked her up. Rabies vaccinated on 2/24/05. There were a few more things on the papers but I can't read what they say.
She was a stray in Dearborn and they couldn't find her a home, they have her as being 5 years old. They had her since 2/18/05. Kathye talked alot to the couple that work there who were fostering her, so she might have more info. She rode fine in the backseat of the truck from Dearborn to Livonia to Clinton, although she wanted to be upfront with us. She got along great with Titan, and Kathye and I's 2 nephews and 1 neice. The youngest being 7 years old.
Kevin

#11 aanderson

aanderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:25 AM

Just FIY Kevin..... If she is 5 then we have her listed as "young" on Petfinder. Can you change that to "adult" and add her age. I thouhgt she was just a pup!

Thanks
Allison

#12 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:32 AM

Jen!!

Congrats!! When are you going down?? Good luck - it's a lot of fun having 2!!

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#13 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:53 AM

Allison, yes I can change that. I was under the impression she was young talking with them, thn get the paperwork and it's different.
Kevin

#14 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:18 AM

Good luck Jen! It is so easy to get "addicted" to these guys - I found a window sticker that says "Dobes are like potato chips - you can't have just one!" Be careful - Arda may send you home with a vanload of males! (just kidding, of course) ;) ;) :) :)

I like the new smilies! :) ;)

This is me in the morning! ;)

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#15 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:39 AM

Hello everybody!!
This site is hilarious...it's like getting the "family approval and opinions" in here, which I LOVE, because it's not "insult" like opinions, like, oh, I don't know, what my own MOTHER would say to me.
I'm still sleeping on getting another. My hubby's ALL about it...I still have a little thinking to do. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE another dog, but am still kind of leaning to the idea of getting another one ONCE we're in a bigger home, and my daughter is a LITTLE bit bigger to handle the rush of 2 running around.
BUT....my mind is still open, and I'll be thinking of it until I get out there Saturday, and I'll probably have a chat with Arda about my concerns.
Thanks, everyone, for the info!! You guys are SO great, you make my day each time I log into this site!!! You're all just FABULOUS!!
;) For ALL of you!
~Jen~
P.S. And if there's ONE thing I've learned over the years, it's to GO WITH MY GUT!! We'll just have to see what my "gut" says on Saturday... ;)

#16 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:47 AM

Jen -

I'm so excited about the prospect of you adopting another Dobe!! I was there when you saw Leroy Brown, and I remember how you were oogling over him. He's a handsome guy, but for what it's worth, I agree with the other members of the Board about the male/female combination. That's not to say they don't have their disagreements, as well. Grindle and Betty have had two major altercations. Even though I am the Alpha in this household, the last one took some doing to get them apart. I cannot even tell you what prompted this behavior. Since then, everyone has been on the same page, and they are quite content with each other. I am always watching though, just in case. Betty's medications may have had something to do with the last tussle.

Whomever you choose, it's still a win-win combination - for the dog, you AND BRODY ;)

Can't wait to read the next installment of the continuing saga.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#17 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:40 AM

*Laugh*
You're too funny, Linda!
See, I had a female red dobe when I had Beej...but Beej was already a few years old, but Sasha had a really, REALLY hard time adjusting to the fact that she was not the one and only....I found her a "one-on-one" home with a guy my dad works with, and she is doing FANTASTIC now! I see her every once in awhile, and I am so glad that I made the decision I did! We'll see how it works out. If we have to wait a little bit for the "right one", then that's how it's gonna go!
LINDA...You going tomorrow?? I hope so!!! I liked your coveralls last time!!! ;)
~Jenny May~
Guess I'm going to have to get some new boots for the BIG day!!! (A reason to go SHOPPING!)

#18 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:19 AM

Please, every one out there....Remember.....There is a big difference in having one Dobe and having a pack of Dobes. Erica and I were ONE ENTITY.. When I started in Dobes we were inseparable. Now I am part of a pack and there is a real big difference between one and more than one. I remember and long for the days that we had together. When you are looking for a playmate for your dog, you are asking for less bonding with that dog because they will bond with each other. Two dogs on the other hand will live longer than a single dog. Think about the situation very seriously. And another point to ponder....no matter how many you have had, you are not an expert on them. One or 3,000. There is always more to learn. When you think it's easy, you will get hurt. Dobermanns have a mind of their own. They do not follow well. They love to lead but they can learn to walk with you. WALK WITH YOU is the goal you should seek. Arda
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#19 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:08 PM

Thanks, Arda!!
That's why I posted before that I'm still thinking about it. I'm enjoying my bonding time with Brody, I was always one on one with BJ, and I preferred it that way. I'm not sure if I'm willing to share my love for Brody with another dog right now or not, NOT saying that in the future that won't change. But...Brody is still adjusting to being here, and I don't think I want to upset the process at the time being. My husband, who doesn't have much experience with owning pets, doesn't realize that, having ONE dog, then getting a second, although, JUST another dog, is ALOT more work than one would realize. Arda, thank you for your input. I do appreciate it! BUT...I WILL be seeing all you on Saturday, (from the sounds of it)and we can all chat then!! Brody will be staying home this weekend...(if that gives any indication as to me getting another dog this weekend... ;) )
Thanks, everyone!! I'm glad to read ALL your responses, advice, and opinions!!! I value each and every one of them!
~Jen~

#20 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:10 PM

Ok, just to fix something...
I didn't mean, "SHARE" my love for Brody, I meant, expanding to include another dog at this moment. I love Broder, and he and I are still "feeling" eachother out, so to speak, and I don't want to disrupt that at this time. When Brody is more confidant of his place in the household, THAT'S the time when I'll consider another fur-baby for the family. AND..like I said, 2 dobes in a house with an ALMOST-toddler, (not yet walking, still crawling and cruising), that can spell disaster in the worst way, if my daughter is on the floor, and the dogs are all over...SO...that's all folks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users