14 replies to this topic

#1 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 08:12 AM

It looks like almost all of Michigan is either going to be getting a lot of snow or a lot of ice today.  I'm in the ice area but at the bottom end of it, so not as bad as the rest of Washtenaw County.  My sister up north is supposed to get 10-15 inches of snow.

I hope everyone has battened down the hatches and is able to stay safely inside today.  Of course we all have to let our dogs out for their business.  Mine have their winter coats ready by the back door and the salt is ready for the deck.

Just wishing good luck to everyone.  May you all be safe through this.  If we're lucky, the power won't go out on top of everything else.  I'm not going to bet on that, though.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 08:43 AM

WOW!   What a night.  It started at 10;45 when I went down and opened the gate for the dog warden.  Renewing our kennel licenses.  Yes $150 a year to keep these kids.  Gate is frozen and won't move.  More water from the wagon that we have under the leaking eaves trough .  Back to gate but it wont budge.  9 dogs and a pup to put out to pottie.  "B" team in basement kennels and a Teather on Mouth and Snitz in her pottie pen and the rest of them with mr.  Everyone back in and the power goes out.  Oh Boy.........not enough time to drug Mouth so we crated him.  Celeste came in at 6;30 and worked on the gate.  Got it almost all the way closed.  About a foot from the latch.  Fed the kids. Mouth threw his dinner all over the place.  He's a mess.  Power finally came back on at 10:30,  Let Mouth out and he just laid on the floor.  He finally went to the shower where he spent the rest of the night..  Like I have said a million times before...........taking care of a puppy is a snap.  But Holly cow, taking care of the rest of this herd is a night mare.   Breakfast is served and all is well at SCD and me.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 03:40 PM

I'm glad you made it through the storm safely. You know you love those heathens even when they are annoying. 😂 Only a few more days and we are into March. Come on spring! 🌼

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 07:30 PM

Today was exercise the pup day.  You just open the front door and release the hounds.  The Big kids ran out and Snitz followed.  The Big kids ran in and Snitz followed.  This went on for almost 2 hours.  Then I calmly fix a lunch for Snitz and she followed me to her spot.  Closed the door and never heard another sound out of her for 5 hours.  Guess the old kids will make perfect baby-sitters,  Piece of cake.

#5 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 08:32 PM

We got a lot of ice here.  Power was out for almost a full day.  That's nothing to complain about, though, considering many areas are still without power.  Internet service took a little longer.  We finally got it back this evening after three days.  We did lose a very nice birch tree in our front yard, which makes me sad.

Glad to hear you made it through the storm, Arda, though not without "adventures." ;)  I hope the rest of the SCD family made it through without too much trouble.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#6 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 11:42 AM

This last Friday was even worse for SCD, lot of clean up and work at the swamp to get done

Lots of trees and branches down everywhere. But of course we can't get to it yet. We just got the John Deer 

uncovered from the trees on top of it. Now the hill is a mud slide so we can't even use the tractor to pull all

of the trees out of the way. It will be a major clean up when we can get to it. Now we have even more snow coming 

this Friday. 

Welcome to the swamp!

#7 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 03:20 PM

Yes Jill, there is a whole pine tree down on the north side.  Pond breeched it's banks today and that is a big mess in Squirts yard.  I unplugged the pond drain.  Emptied one trailer. today.  And will see how it goes tomorrow.  What a mess.

#8 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 07:22 PM

Ah Ha,,,,,,,My peanut butter box is here.  A brand new EGO elecric chain saw,  Now I'll show Kari that I'm not dead yet.  Snitz says she'll help me.  God did the heavy work for me so now all I have to do is cut it up and burn it.  Boy, I just love Spring.

#9 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 03:32 PM

Just got pictures from my nephew in Tenn.  Gee I'm glad I only have 5 acres.  He has 30 acres of Oak and Pine.  What a mess.  Looks like a summer job for Lumber-jills.  Sure wish I was closer or my eyes would let me drive there.

#10 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:11 PM

Attached File  IMG20230321131145.jpg   496.28KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG20230321131148.jpg   560.63KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG20230321131153.jpg   556.31KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG20230321131342.jpg   314.72KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG20230321131450.jpg   403.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG20230321131058.jpg   472.4KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG20230321131040.jpg   321.8KB   0 downloadsSome pictures from the storms and all the trees down. There is three pictures where Squirts barn is with the tree's down on it

#11 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:12 PM

There is a lot more down this is just a few pictures

Lot's of work to be done

#12 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 06:54 PM

Holy cow! What a mess.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#13 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:09 AM

This new chain saw ia going to make the job much easier than my Dewalt reciprocating saws.  Tried it out yesterday and it is neat.

#14 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 07:59 AM

We're still waiting for the tree service to come and clean up our mess from the ice storm back on February 22.  Supposed to be out this Wednesday.  We have an entire birch tree that needs to be cut down and the stump ground, and lots of large down limbs from two small pine groves in the front yard and a large maple in the back yard.  The smaller stuff my husband has already raked up into piles, and the tree service will clean all that up, too.

Arda, I've thought about one of those EGO electric chain saws for myself.  Our gas-powered one is big and heavy, very hard to start (and keep it running), and it scares me half to death! I already have an EGO electric weed-trimmer that I bought a couple summers ago, and it made the weed-whacking so much easier!  It's much lighter in weight than the gas-powered one, and I don't have to struggle with pulling and pulling the cord to try to get it started, then having it stall and having to restart it over and over.

They're saying 50 mph wind gusts this afternoon, so I guess there will be even more to clean up.

#15 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 01:26 PM

Maybe those winds coming in tomorrow will blow some of the broken limbs out of the upper parts of my big trees.  I have gotten 6 wagons full gathered uo and ready to burn when it dries out a bunch.  And I have to tell you that I love this little chain saw I bought.  NO PULL CORD which I cannot do with no strendth in my upper arms and no rotator cuffs.  No messes with gas.  It's small but it's the right size for an old woman like me.  Still got a lot more to do but it's coming and I don't have to get down on my knees and beg a husband to help.  Lost the over flow in the pond so the water all went down stream.  Fix that later.  I feel like a lumber-jill again and I like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users