• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BillD

BillD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

I've not been here for quite some time.  Rufus (Roof) is doing great and  fantastic around other dogs. He still love's riding on my golf cart. And loves all my friends who show up in their RV's to spend time with us. (especially ones with K-9's) 

In nice weather he'll sit and or sleep on the golf cart for hours just waiting for his next ride, I think it's time to adopt another Dobe, I recently saw a white female in Florida but it would be too expensive having her brought up here.

So we are looking, and probably adopt in early spring when we can spend alot of time outdoors walking and running.

I'll keep watching Second Chance.  Bill and Roof !

Edited by BillD, 03 March 2015 - 04:25 PM.

#2 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

That's great Bill. I bet Roof will love having a playmate. Plus, honestly, you will get hours of entertainment watching them play. :D

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#3 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

Yay--having had 2 I can honestly say it's twice the fun!

#4 Lori

Lori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

That's right...until I had a pair I used to think people who had 2 and 3 dogs were crazy. Well, we ARE crazy ...but in a good way.

#5 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

We'll have some new ones up on the site next week.  I play with dogs, not the site.  Joaquin will be here this week end, if the good Lord willing.  He has that awesome touch.  And a great camera.  AND he hasn't had to live with them all winter.  Kari, Katie, April, Star, Jordan, and Star with a star will all be up next week.  Honest.  Might even get the Pod family up.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#6 Loydcureton

Loydcureton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

Good Morning,

We have an almost 3 year old neutered black and tan Doberman, champion blood lines, well trained and loved. We recently purchased a new home and discovered, after we were financially committed, that the association by laws do not allow Dobermans. We are searching for a caring home and your post seems like our dog might be a good fit for you. We are located in the Howell area. If you are interested please call me and we can discuss a possible adoption.

Sincerely,

Loyd

Attached File  IMG_0274.JPG   94.99KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0278.JPG   98.85KB   1 downloads]

#7 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

Loyd, I'm sorry you are in a position of having to give up your dog.  He looks like a very handsome guy.  Did you get him as a pup from a breeder?  If so, a responsible, ethical breeder will always take back one of their dogs if the owner is no longer able to keep it, and will rehome them with a suitable family.  Have you tried this option?

If the breeder you got the dog from is not an option, then I commend you for contacting a Doberman-specific rescue.  I hope you will use the contact info on the home page of this site to speak directly to Arda or one of the staff.

Placing your young male Doberman in a home with another male dog may be risky.  Dobermans are known for same-sex aggression, and it is generally advised, if one is going to get two dogs, to get opposite genders.  There are exceptions, of course, but I believe you could benefit from the assistance of someone very experienced in placing adoptive dogs, specifically Dobermans.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#8 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Thank you Cheri!

#9 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:05 PM

Well said Cheri!

#10 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Since this issue came up I have had two other issues cross my desk.  Just want to share and ask all of you, What would you do?

5 year old (both of these) females, uncropped.  Both came off Craig's list and these people took them.  The one woman had the one dog for 4 months and the other was only 1 week.  Then the call comes in to us that they need to be gone immediately.  I asked my usual questions.  Bite History? Color? Registered? shots to date? heart worm neg? health issues? Blah, blah.

Neither dog is current on their shots.  One is 4 years since been to a vet.  Neither on heart worm.  Neither is spayed.  No microchip.

It costs us $175 to spay; $50 for shots; $25 for Rabies; $10 for Microchip; $32 for Heart worm test; and $360 for a heart worm cure if they are positive.  I keep Panacur and Droncit on hand to worm everybody.  Don't know what that costs us per dog.  At any rate it comes out to$292 per dog unless it has heart worm and then it's $652.  We get $275 adoption fee.  Can't forget 10 cents a mile to go to the vets and back (60 x 4) $24.

NOW you tell me what would you do?

I know we are rescue and this is what we do, but for the love of God, where do these people think we get the money to take their dog.  Why do they think that a good breeder dog should not cost $2000.  I know most of you and have gone through the loses and high vet bills with all of you.  Why is the outside world so much in denial.

#11 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

Cause Dogs are better people than most people are. :D

I know it's not helpful, but it is true. LOL!

SCD's Stone Soup

#12 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Cheri, Jill, JackAE, Kari, Sharen, Heather, and the rest of you.  I want some input.

#13 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

Well, here goes, for what it's worth.  The price of adopting an adult dog seems kind of low to me.  Do you think potential adopters would drop away like flies if it was raised a bit?  Or maybe a graduated fee, like keep it at 275 for a senior dog, but 300 to 350 for a middle-aged adult.  You charge 400 for under one year old, right?  I don't know how the fee is determined, but it seems to me like it has been the same since I've been aware of SCD, but at the same time, I know all of your associated expenses have gone up steadily.

Also, just a tiny suggestion that perhaps the sponsorship page could be updated.  I believe there are a number of dogs on there that have been adopted or have gone to the Bridge.  Keeping the page updated could garner more interest in sponsorships.

As for the two five-year-old females you mention above, if their temperaments are okay, it sounds like they both should be quite adoptable.  I wish I could even come close to an answer about how people can allow their dogs to find themselves in such a situation to begin with.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#14 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

I agree with Cheri aout the price. Most of your adopters all know the cost of vetting . Maybe post on the main page the new cost if they are changed and a break down of the standard vetting cost.
A lot of rescues use a fund me page and ask for donations for the harder medical cases.
If you need help transporting post it, we could drop the dogs at the vet and save you a trip.
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#15 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:40 PM

The sponsor page is completely my fault. Starting school, work and planning the wedding have consumed my life. I will get on it though. I'm embarrassed  I let it slip and I apologize.

We raised the adoption fee from $250 to $275 a looooong time ago, 5 or 6 years? The under a year we did to cover the costs of cropping, which we do if we get young enough pups. If the dog isn't cropped, we don't charge $400, just $275. We could raise the adoption cost. You know my opinion, if they won't drop $300 on a dog for adoption they won't spend it on vet costs either. Or we could do a sliding scale. Lots of rescues do that, charge more for pups, and less for seniors.

Illinois Dobe Rescue:

• $400 for Doberman puppies (up to 1 year)
  • $350 for Dobermans (1 to 4 years)
  • $250 for Dobermans (5 to 7 years)
  • $150 for senior Dobermans (8 years and older - may be reduced depending on the dog)

Forever Dobes (Teka):

PUPPIES;  1 YR AND UNDER           400.00

ADULTS   1 YR TO 6 YRS             350.00

SENIORS  7+                        250.00

Southwest Ohio Dobe Rescue:

• Baby dogs 6 months of age and younger, typically: $400.00
  • Youngsters 7 months to 2 years: $300.00
  • Adults 3 years through 6 years: $250.00
  • Seniors 7 years and up, typically: $200

Hand Me Down doesn't even list any prices I can find on their website. So we are definitely cheaper than other nearby Dobe rescues.

SCD's Stone Soup

#16 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

Bill, I'm sorry we so thoroughly hijacked your thread!  :blushing:  Back to the original topic for a moment, we were a one-dog family for a very long time, but back in 2008, we acquired two Dobes within a few months of each other.  Yes, it is twice the work and twice the expense, but it's also twice the fun!  As long as Roof is the dog-sociable type and you feel sure he would like a sibling, then go for it!

To Loyd, who posted above about needing to rehome his 3-year-old male Dobe, if you signed any commitments before you were advised of the breed restrictions, I would think you have legal recourse.  I would be contacting a lawyer in that situation.  If you are still needing help finding a home for your dog, I hope you will get back in touch with someone at this or another reputable rescue organization.  I'm sure you know this already, but I'll say it again for the benefit of others who may be reading here.  Craigslist, etc. is not a safe way to find a good home for a dog.

Sarah, I was reluctant to bring up the sponsorship page, as I know how busy you must be.  No personal criticism was intended, as I'm sure you know.  But I think it's true that many people like the idea of seeing a dog's picture, reading their story, and helping with that particular dog's expenses, understanding that anything over the target amount would go to the rescue's general fund.  I myself have done that for other rescues.

Natasha came from Hand Me Down Dobes.  Back in 2008, we paid $275, which included their separate microchip fee.  I'm pretty sure their fee is higher now.  I can find out if that would be helpful.  I agree that if people are going to quibble over what is a very reasonable adoption fee, based on the expenses of running a rescue, then they are also going to be stingy about paying for the dog's needs after adoption, like health care costs, decent food, etc.

#17 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

We are trying to find a female for Roof.  I haven't given up hope for him.  And Cheri is right when she says not all males get along with all males.  We have a heck of a time with Omi and any other males.  He doesn't even like Hobby and Hobby sure isn't a threat to anyone.  And the other day Nickie thought he'd take on Dennis.  Wrong idea.  Dennis gets along with most of the males unless they start something first.  Over the years I've been very lucky with my males but I don't recommend it.

I knew you have had some very well bred dogs, Cheri, so I knew I wanted to get your input on this.  Every week we get calls from people who do not want to pay the breeders price for a dog but they want a puppy.  They just can't get it through their head that it costs a lot of money to breed a litter.  Cerf tests, burcellocious cultures, hip and elbow xrays, stud fee, thyroid tests, EKG, blood work up, etc.  It's very expensive.  Of course most of the dogs that come in here are just Dobermanns.  I've had a ton of very good Dobermanns that I have no idea where they came from.  Just like Chaos.  Nobody wanted him cuz his ears didn't stand.  I would not trade him for Indigo Rock himself.

I really feel that our price is fair.  And I hate to raise it with as many as are out there needing homes.  I guess we will just keep things the way they are for now and pray that adopters can see what we are trying to do.  I really thank all of you for the input and I will call these people and tell them that "Yes" we will take their dogs.

#18 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

I agree with all that was said by everyone.I know I'm not much help. This is what you do best

Arda, you've always taken on any dobe in need.

I agree with raising the cost your only raising it $25 which in my opinion if a person really wants

a dog they would pay that price.All the vetting is already done for them.These dogs are well worth it.

If they can't pay that then like Sarah said, will they keep up on the shots and heartworm for the dog.

I know you give breaks when you feel in your heart that the dog that everyone passes up is finally getting a home

and will get their forever home even though you had the dog for a very long time and took care of it, no matter what the dog had cost you.Maybe a dog who had a very high priced surgery should be priced higher and show the adopter the bill for that dog.

Maybe they would be willing to pay a little more for that dog.If it was posted that the dog with a very high price surgery would be a certain price because of the cost put into that dog.Just a thought.

This probably doesn't help much, sorry I don't have  much to add to what else was said.

Your right people have NO IDEA how much money goes into a rescued dog.

#19 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:30 AM

What about Stella's sister? She's young and gets along well with others? She's cute as a button and I find that Stella is following what the pugs do so likely Katie would follow Roof?

The pug rescue I volunteer for charges 500 for young pugs (under 2 years) and 350 for all other pugs. That includes spay/neuter, shots and chipped.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#20 dobie sunshine

dobie sunshine

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

I know before I met you Arda...I was so CLUELESS about rescue...I had no clue that money did not grow on YOUR trees to take care of these dogs....Boy have I ever learned ALOT....with that being said I wish there was some way we could educate people that surrender their dogs to you...that are not spayed, or vetted. It would be nice if we could charge a fee for taking these dogs in...but I know you would rather get them in and have them safe...I know it is hard enough to get vet records for the dogs that are surrendered.. I think we should raise our prices. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users