#21 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:43 PM

Mary,
  To help people get over their negativity with your new dober-gentleman, you may want to consider achieving his canine good citizen title or even a therapy dog title.  Titan would be an excellent candidate for this with his soft, gentle temperament.  People are always impressed when they find out my girls are CGC and Chyna is a therapy dog.  Most folks think only the most well-bred, golden retrievers or labs can be therapy dogs....well, Chyna proves them wrong every month!  Look on the forum for Daisy and Joni's posts about canine good citizen testing...it's worth it:)
                                                                            Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The test is August 14th and here is the link to the thread:
http://www.secondcha...p?showtopic=509

I think Karen has suggested an excellent option and from the description of Titan at various Meet & Greets, it sounds like he'd fly through the test no problem.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#22 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:33 PM

The test is August 14th and here is the link to the thread:
http://www.secondcha...p?showtopic=509

I think Karen has suggested an excellent option and from the description of Titan at various Meet & Greets, it sounds like he'd fly through the test no problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's an excellent idea, but where would I take Titan for the training before the testing? Does anyone know of anything in the Tri City area? I took Adonis to Petsmart for obedience and he learned a lot of commands but I was not impressed with their classes.

Ya know it wouldn't be so bad if these same people hadn't seen my face after Brady got me. "Judge the deed, not the breed" I tell 'em.

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#23 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

Mary,
Glad you have Titan, as for his playing w/ Cocoa & neighbor dog,
remember he is a adult boy, & not knowing his past life I might
think that he give off something that makes Cocoa wary of how
far she can go w/ him playing ect. As for the neighbors male, Titan
was saying, This is my place now, back off & was able to put the
dog in his place :D
Plus Titan is a Fawn color, some dogs seem to react differently
to them. My friend has a fawn girl who is a easy sweet 13 month old
but some of the other color dobes react different to her.
Im sure they will adjust given time, he is a very nice boy
Good Luck :D

#24 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

We had a lot of people over for a cookout yesterday, and Titan was good as gold. He is everything and more than I could ever have hoped for. His beauty is more than skin deep. No more growling at Mollie. In the house he avoids her, but outside he chases her and she loves it. He won more than a few people over yesterday with his calm, gentle demeanor. Why this guy was homeless in the first place is beyond me. Mary and the gang

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#25 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:50 AM

Mary that is so wonderful to hear. I'm sure with time he will fit right in and win everyone over.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#26 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:08 PM

We had a lot of people over for a cookout yesterday, and Titan was good as gold.  He is everything and more than I could ever have hoped for.  His beauty is more than skin deep.  No more growling at Mollie.  In the house he avoids her, but outside he chases her and she loves it.  He won more than a few people over yesterday with his calm, gentle demeanor.  Why this guy was homeless in the first place is beyond me.  Mary and the gang

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is not suprising news Mary. Titan is awesome, glad to hear the good news. As for him and why he was homeless; look at it this way, it's everyone elses loss and your gain! :D So you had a big cook out and no pictures? tisk, tisk :D Mary you know we are suckers for the picturezzzz! :D

Larry

#27 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

It's an excellent idea, but where would I take Titan for the training before the testing?  Does anyone know of anything in the Tri City area?  I took Adonis to Petsmart for obedience and he learned a lot of commands but I was not impressed with their classes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mary, if you want to brave the drive back... we are having a clicker training session on the 17th of July... You will learn all the basics to use clicker training and I can take some time in the afternoon to cover the CGC stuff and how to train for it if you (or anyone else) wants.

I am soooo happy to hear that Titan is settling in so wel!!! He is a wonderful boy and many times I (and most of us volunteers) wished we could take him home with us forever!!!

You are doing good with him and they (the dogs) will sort it all out. It may take a growl/nip or two while they do but just keep watching them and don't hesitate to separate them if they get over-excited!!!

Hope you will consider joining us on the 17th... Check out the "Anyone Interested?" thread for all the specifics...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#28 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

I didn't know how to attach this picture of Titan, but just incase anyone hasn't seen it take the time to look at it, it is nice, here is a link to it.
Titan

Larry

#29 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

Mary-

I so happy for both you and Titan. He's a wonderful guy. From the posts, it sounds like you have a handle on your family, so now that they know he's here to stay, hopefully they will settle down.

When I adopted Grindle and Betty, they went in the van together, having never had much contact with each other before. Betty was not exactly thrilled with Grindle, but time cures all and they are inseparable now.

The cats took a little while longer. Betty does not mind Moo Kitty, but she has great disdain for Joe. She still will raise her lips and show her teeth to him if he gets too close. Thankfully, that's all she does :D

I'm sure with his calm demeanor, Mr. Titan will win Mollie and the puppy over and you'll have one big, happy family.

Congratulations on giving him his "forever home." I know he'll be your steadfast companion and trusted friend.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#30 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:54 AM

Attached File  Picture_077.jpg   142.71KB   75 downloads
Attached File  Picture_085.jpg   150.57KB   79 downloads

Attached File  Picture_089.jpg   149.12KB   74 downloads
Titan and Mollie are now the best of buddies. Titan has more patience with Mollie than I have. Their playtime is still supervised, but Titan is so good with her.
Titan and the cat can be seen laying together in Titan's crate on any given day. We are a happy family. Mary and the gangAttached File  Picture_084.jpg   153.7KB   73 downloads

Edited by oreo5129, 10 July 2005 - 11:57 AM.

Stanley Coren

#31 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

Oh!! This is so wonderful!! Congratulations!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#32 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 07:22 PM

OH MY GOSH THAT IS SO WONDERFUL.
I am so happy for you.

Michelle & Rusty

#33 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:43 PM

These pictures are heart warming! It's so nice to see Titan playing. :thumbsup: What kind of chew toy is that anyway?

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#34 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:58 AM

These pictures are heart warming!  It's so nice to see Titan playing. :thumbsup:  What kind of chew toy is that anyway?

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A very pesty chew toy, I tell ya.

Stanley Coren

#35 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:25 AM

Attached File  Picture_077.jpg   142.71KB   75 downloads
Attached File  Picture_085.jpg   150.57KB   79 downloads

Attached File  Picture_089.jpg   149.12KB   74 downloads
Look at that smile!  :icon12: What great pictures!  You go, Titan!  Keep reeling in those people that think they should be afraid!  :thumbsup: 

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#36 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:36 AM

Look at that smile on his face. He looks so happy. Mary that is so wonderful.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#37 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

Mary....
COULD your boy look any HAPPIER??? Come ON!! Just look at that HUGE dober smile!! Just gorgeous!!! :thumbsup:
I'm so happy for ALL of you, Mary! And it's SO nice to have you back on the board!
~Jen~

#38 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

Took Titan to the vet tonight. I noticed a large amount of swelling and drainage on his right foot by his toe. He goes back Tuesday to have a tissue biopsy. He is having his teeth cleaned so while he is anesthesized they are going to do the biopsy. Dr Lagos didn't think an aspiration biopsy was enough for this and will probably xray the area too to make sure that the bone is not affected. Since Adonis died the words, "biopsy", "cancer", etc freak the he!! out of me. Please keep this gentle giant in your thoughts and prayers. We're gonna have a thyroid test done at the same time and see if the hair loss is from CDA or hypothyroidism.
He has been just as good as gold after the 2 or so days it took for him to settle down here.
Mollie, the puppy from heck (we really love the heck out of her) tries everyone's patience except Titan, and I step in for him and take her to her corner. She bites his ears and grabs him around the neck with her front legs, he just lifts his massive head and she becomes airborne.
I know that God will not take this dog from me, but prayers from all of you would make me feel like maybe it really will be ok. Thanks. Mary and the gang

Stanley Coren

#39 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:32 PM

Mary, I've said a prayer for Titan that he lives a long, happy and prosperous life full of fun and without traumatic health issues. I pray the Lord is merciful to him and lets him have his long awaited new beginning without incident or anything that would interfere with a happy ending to his story. Please Lord, have mercy for Your mercy's sake.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#40 Judy Gould

Judy Gould

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:08 AM

Titan is in my prayers, God will watch over you and your family.
A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME WITH OUT A DOBERMAN IN IT
JUDY & ALAN
NEYAA, MIIKA, and LENNY

Grieve not,
nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me
as if I were beside you.....
I loved you so --
'twas Heaven here with you."
ABBEY, CHIQUA, AND COMMANCHE

YOU ARE ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS

0 user(s) are reading this topic