61 replies to this topic

#21 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

There are a few machines here, 2ghz processor speed, 1gig ram(can add more) and 120gb harddrive. Will be Windows XP and Office 2003 with Adobe PDF writer (full version). At the most will be $20. They are compaq Evo w4000's. Let me know so I can set it aside.

#22 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

YES, I will take the responibility to say yes, yes, yes.
Probably the only upgrade or change we might need if it is a corporate computer is a 56k modem.
I will pm you.
Please set one aside.
Tom

#23 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

:angry:

#24 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:58 PM

:angry:

Not to be a wrench in the gears, but...... :stuart:

I completely understand your desire to lookout for Arda and SCD, but I think Arda needs to make that call. As with everything, I'm sure she has a very specific idea in mind of what she's looking for....perhaps she'd rather buy new so she doesn't have to worry about "mileage" so to speak. I think it's great that we're all offering suggestions for her, but that call needs to be hers. :)
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#25 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

Two dog,
I will split the cost of the one prince pride has. The reason I feel this is one hel7 of a deal. Ardas old comp went down, can it be fixed????? no one knows yet. Arda wanted to use that to do her bookwork so-that if anyone hacked into her comp. while she was online they couldn't see this vital info, as that comp would never be hooked online. This if nothing else would give her that capability. I just talked to Kathye, they are on 223 west of US 23 so they will be here in about 30 minutes or so.

Kevin

#26 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

This particular computer which has been discussed as of late, would be used only for taxes/book-keeping, and micro-chip info. All info which SCD would not like to have on a computer which is attached to the world wide web.

A new computer for SCD to check/reply/send and receive e-mails, follow this message board(which Arda needs to be a part of), ordering of meds online, ect. is still being investigated as to which one is the best deal for the monies donated.

SCD Staff

#27 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:39 AM

Kori and I are in for 25 will paypal it later to day to be used however needed.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#28 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:49 AM

I will donate this computer to SCD - please no money from anyone. I will add any software needed, add another gig or two of memory (depending on what it will hold), and a monitor, printer, mouse & keyboard. Plus lots of nice software that will come in very handy for video editing, picture editing, and anything else that anyone may need to do!!!

If you guys still want to buy a new computer, please, feel free. But I am still donating this PC to SCD. You can never have enough computers, even if it's just for parts or something. I'm sure you guys will find a use for it! :angry:

#29 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

I will donate this computer to SCD - please no money from anyone. I will add any software needed, add another gig or two of memory (depending on what it will hold), and a monitor, printer, mouse & keyboard. Plus lots of nice software that will come in very handy for video editing, picture editing, and anything else that anyone may need to do!!!

If you guys still want to buy a new computer, please, feel free. But I am still donating this PC to SCD. You can never have enough computers, even if it's just for parts or something. I'm sure you guys will find a use for it! :angry:

I wholeheartly agree with never having enough computers. We had wanted for a while now to put one in the barn building at scd for a scd store. Eventually we'll get it all set up out there. This last time Arda's comp is down, I already have mine set-up at home so she can't even borrow it to use, had she had a second one she could have been online here.

Kevin

#30 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

I think you guys are really on to something here. I wouldn't worry about "milage' on a PC that's been built by professionals. It's Prince_Prides field of business, so if her company can trust her and hubby than there is absolutely no reason SCD can't trust their input. Haul that puppy out there and get it runnin' for her. If there's an issue with a 'used' model....give her a suggested 'dollar amount' of it's value and if she doesn't want it....then let her sell it for a fair market price and use the money towards vet bills or whatever else. Either way it's a start. And from my volunteer experience....you never look a gift horse in the mouth....OR turn down a donation.

PS - there is no intention on offending anyone - but just had to express my opinion which is difficult to do through a post which shows no emotion.
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

#31 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

How nice of you, Prince_Pride !!!! :stuart:
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#32 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

I just spoke with Arda (she called me) and she wants to go with a custom built computer that will offer her everything she needs to get Online with. A big thanks goes out to my IT friend, Matt, who offered to build the machine and configuring the OS specific for Arda's needs. :) He's currently talking with the company we're going to buy it from to see if we can get a tax break with being a non-profit. I'll post the computer specifics and costs here in a minute so we can see what your generosity has given SCD. ;)

Arda would also like the computer Prince Pride has offered and thanks her so much for her generosity. :) She will be using this computer for record keeping so whatever you need to do to set her up with that, Prince Pride, (she doesn't need any software outside of that--more for her to get into trouble with! :) ) she would greatly appreciate it. Even though the likelihood of being cuaght is somewhat slim, we need to make sure the software is not pirated, though. :angry:

A huge THANKS goes out to everyone who has donated and to everyone who helped in offering suggestions so Arda could make an informed decision. :)

Edited to say: Just so you guys know, I didn't sway Arda in her decision to buy a computer. I didn't even offer any suggestions, I just let her tell me what she wanted. This is what she wanted and this is what she told me to get. :) Just wanted to clarify as I know how the interpretation of forum posts can be perceived in different ways and "behind the scenes" things can be assumed, whether those assumptions are correct or not. :stuart:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#33 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

What software would she prefer? Does she need something advanced like quickbooks or Microsoft Money or more general like Excel & Word?

#34 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

What software would she prefer? Does she need something advanced like quickbooks or Microsoft Money or more general like Excel & Word?

Heather (or someone else who works on her computer with her on a frequent basis) might have a better answer than I could give as I'm not sure what software she is currently using. :angry:

#35 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:37 PM

Here's are the specs. for the new computer:

• Tower (has USB and headphone jacks on front so Arda won't have to move the machine to plug anything in--Ordered in black to hide the muddy paw prints and dog hair :) )
• 450 watt Power Supply
• Biostar NF61S Motherboard (built in video and sound)
• Athlon 64 x2 3800+ CPU (Dual Core, 3.8 gHz processor)
• 512 mb DDR2 RAM (PC2 5300) (Upgraded with an additional 512 mb of RAM for a total of 1 gig RAM)
• 80 Gig Western Digital SATA 3.0 g/s Hard Drive
• Lite-on 20x DVD +/- DVD Burner

Subtotal: $250.94
TAX: $0
Shipping and Handling Charge**: $27.93
Total: $278.87

With the remainder of donations, I'll buy a monitor locally that way we don't have to pay shipping on it. :angry: (And Arda has the mouse and keyboard.... :stuart: )

#36 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

Not a bad price on the machine. But I'm wondering if that money couldn't be put to better use for SCD? The pc I am getting ready has a bigger harddrive (120gb), DVD burner, will have more memory (2gig), ports on the front, Pentium 4 brand processor. I know the processing speed is only 2ghz but 1.8ghz more won't be noticable. You notice more of a difference when it comes to RAM.

#37 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

Not a bad price on the machine. But I'm wondering if that money couldn't be put to better use for SCD? The pc I am getting ready has a bigger harddrive (120gb), DVD burner, will have more memory (2gig), ports on the front, Pentium 4 brand processor. I know the processing speed is only 2ghz but 1.8ghz more won't be noticable. You notice more of a difference when it comes to RAM.

The money that was donated through this thread was intended to go toward a new computer, so that's what it's going to buy. I realize the computer you're offering has a larger HD and more memory and that you're offering it as a donation to SCD. Arda does want the computer you're offering and intends to use it for record keeping (which she greatly needs!).

If SCD simply pockets the money that was sent in as donations for a computer and uses it for other things rather than on purchasing a new computer, wouldn't we have just collected over $400 on false pretenses? The only honest and respectful thing to do would be to refund the money that we've collected for the computer if that were the case. But Arda has expressed a desire and need for two machines, one to keep records and one for internet usage. Either way, we'd still have to buy a second computer, especially if her Gateway isn't salvageable. Regardless, the thing is 7 years old and is in serious need of upgrading. Why spend the money on upgrading a 7 year old machine when you could buy a brand new one for $300? :angry:

#38 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:12 PM

Bleck....Gateway!!! I hate those machines!!!

Just let me know what software is needed for record keeping. I will be putting MS Office for standard stuff, and I know Excel is a good program for keeping track of things (which comes with Office). Does she still want the printer I have set aside too?

#39 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

According to Kevin she uses Excell and does need a printer as she is using his at the present time.

#40 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Bleck....Gateway!!! I hate those machines!!!

Just let me know what software is needed for record keeping. I will be putting MS Office for standard stuff, and I know Excel is a good program for keeping track of things (which comes with Office). Does she still want the printer I have set aside too?

I'll try to find out what software she uses. She'll probably need a new printer as well as I'm sure the one she has is as old as her Gateway and most likely doesn't have any drivers that'll work on a newer machine anyhow! :angry: :stuart:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users