39 replies to this topic

#21 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:01 AM

Okay, you have sold me on the products!! 

Cocoa is a dollface!  :)

Thanks Mary, I appreciate your caring very much. :)

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the compliment on Cocoa. I have always thought that Cocoa was one of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen, and my sister told me that she has a face only a mother could love. My son had a picture of her on his cellphone and one of his friends asked him what kind of pig was she. :D :D

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#22 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the compliment on Cocoa.  I have always thought that Cocoa was one of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen, and my sister told me that she has a face only a mother could love.  My son had a picture of her on his cellphone and one of his friends asked him what kind of pig was she.    :)  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be sad, Mary. Sometimes I think what people see is really a reflection of what's inside them. It tells more about the person than the object they are looking at. Cocoa is just the mirror. Reflect on that for a second and tell me what you see? :)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#23 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:30 AM

Don't be sad, Mary.  Sometimes I think what people see is really a reflection of what's inside them.  It tells more about the person than the object they are looking at.  Cocoa is just the mirror.  Reflect on that for a second and tell me what you see? :)

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take it with good humor because Cocoa's beauty is more than her appearance it is the gentle soul that I see when she looks into my eyes, and we communicate a lot that way. Thanks for the words. Mary and Cocoa :) :D

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#24 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:10 AM

I think your Cocoa is beautiful, Mary. The colour of her coat is gorgeous!! And her eyes are SO gentle!
You got a beaut, there, in both Cocoa AND Brady!
~Jen~
Hey, I don't know if you noticed or not, Mary, but have you seen the resemblance between Brady and Brody?? It's so funny, to see that DOG siblings, just like humans, can carry a family resemblance!
:)

#25 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

Mary -

As the old adage goes: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Cocoa is a beautiful girl. What a wonderful color!

I have a Cleveland Bay mare, that more than one person has told me "only a mother could love that!" Well, to me she's beautiful, because we've been together 17 years, and I know her like the back of my hand. We've been through three major surgeries (hers), one of which while she was pregnant with her daughter, Paj. She foundered when my husband Bruce was dying from lung cancer, and we have a lot of history together. Her conformation is not the Thoroughbred style, sleek and athletic. She's bred for stamina. This girl could trot and pull a wagon ALL DAY LONG! When you ride her, it's like sitting atop a table, she's so wide, but her canter is to die for - like a Cadillac floating down the road. People look at her and see a small draft horse, but when she does dressage, you wouldn't even recognize her as the same horse. Suspension and gaits a mile wide.

So, regardless what ANYONE ELSE THINKS, we love our babies. To us, there's nothing that makes our hearts beat a little faster than our kids running to greet us, either whimpering with joy, or whinnying, at the sight of Mom.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#26 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:59 PM

Jane -

I just thought of another "remedy." I have used this on myself, years ago - DMSO. We use it on the horses. My grandfather used to use it on his "bad" knee. If you use it alot yourself, you end up smelling like a giant clove of garlic. That's one of the downsides. One other: Anything that is on your skin when you apply this, IT GOES DIRECTLY INTO YOUR SKIN WITH THE DMSO. So, make sure whether it be your animal, or you, the area is clean BEFORE you apply this.

Oddly enough, it is an industrial solvent (go figure, 'eh?) I am not sure about the liver repercussions.

Horses can be afflicted with a disease called EPM (equine protezoal myelitis). I know of one horse, a "schoolmaster," if you will, in dressage that was stopped dead in his tracks due to EPM. Believe it or not, he had an IV of DMSO, and amazingly he pulled through and lived to tell about it.

You can usually find this at any feed store.

I would say this is a "last resort" type of fix. I'm sure other products on the market will make Tango feel like her old self. Like they say, knowledge is power, and one can never get enough.
Just thought I'd pass it along.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#27 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

One other thing to try is ground Flax seed or Flax seed oil (only cold pressed) but the oil is tougher because it goes rancid fairly quickly. I get the seeds either whole (and grind in a small coffee grinder) or the ground ones. I get mine at Meijer usually... I also give Skitter ground wheat germ...

One word of caution though... Those two products contain a fair amount of fiber... as I found out when Skitter left me "output" on the carpet 3 nights running... after I had started giving her these supplements twice a day... She felt soooo bad for messing in the house. I, of course, didn't scold her but was very worried about what might be wrong!!! :) til I realized it was me!!! Poor thing didn't stand a chance!!!

I cut her back to once a day and only a teaspoon instead of the tablespoon (MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER LOL) and life was better. HA!!!

I've also started her on aloe juice again. I put 2 oz in with her dinner. I noticed a difference in how much energy she has again... and almost no swelling these days!!!!

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#28 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

I give her "Joint Health" from Springtime, Inc.  THEY ARE WONDERFUL!!!  I started her out on their "Fresh Factors" for about a year then upped her to the JH since I felt it had more protection for her.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also a note that I've noticed... Skitter has been back on Fresh Factors for the last week or so (along with Aloe juice) and I see much less swelling than when she was on Joint Health...

It's weird really since the JH has more chrondroitin, etc but she seem better on the FF!!! Know what I'll order next time. HA!!!

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#29 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:20 PM

Well, just got back from another trip to the vet. Tango was favoring her foot on our walk yesterday so I had to bring her home. She was limping last night but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. This morning she stumbled on three legs into the kitchen and I noticed one toe was about 3 times the size of the others. Soooo.... with visions of DOZER in my head, I called the vet. Nothing broken, not cancer, but there is a very tiny red mark on the side of the toe. A bee sting? A piece of organic material? Even a sharp piece of gravel abrasion? Anyway we are on antibiotic again. Yippee! :D

Oh, we've been there so much that I recognized a family in there from a prior visit and they said, "where's Tiki?" Ya gotta laugh. :)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#30 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:37 PM

Jane,

Hopefully the antibiotics will help heal Tango's boo boo. Like Daisy said earlier, it's always something! :)

Cheryl
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#31 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:32 PM

Isn't that the truth! Sorry to hear about Tiki's sore toe. No dancing for her :) Did they give you any topical ointment? Maybe it's not that type of abrasion. Bag Balm works wonders in helping the tissue heal. Hope she's not too uncomfortable, and Mom's not too exhausted from worry :D

Linda

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#32 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:17 AM

Tiki and her new "baby"

Edited by dobeluvr, 03 May 2005 - 09:37 PM.

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#33 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:42 PM

:P Oh my gosh that is such a cute picture :P
Thank-you so much for sharing that with us. The look on her face............aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Michelle

#34 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:03 PM

What an adorable picture! Tiki looks like a proud mama, embracing her "child." She's beautiful, Jane. Her coat is just gleaming :P You're a good mom.

Linda

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#35 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, she starts out embracing her child, but if you look really close at the next couple you will see that she can be EVIL! :P

Edited by dobeluvr, 03 May 2005 - 09:37 PM.

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#36 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

Cute pictures! I can't believe that those stuffed animals don't last like two minutes.

Larry

#37 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

It is officially destuffed and considered one of many carci ...

Edited by dobeluvr, 03 May 2005 - 09:38 PM.

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#38 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:58 PM

It is officially destuffed and considered one of many carci ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, btw, don't be concerned about her swallowing the stuffing. She doesn't. She just pulls it out. Shakes it out, and then runs around with the carcass until she gets a new one. If she doesn't get a new one in awhile, she resorts to pulling the fur off the little critters. One little chunk at a time. gadzooks. :P

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#39 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:15 PM

Ella, I wish you could see how much Princess reminds me of Tango. I'm trying to get a good pic, but Tango is camera shy and needs Larry to pet her while she poses. drat!

Jane

Edited by dobeluvr, 03 May 2005 - 09:38 PM.

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#40 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:40 PM

those pictures are so cute. i love the one with the stuffed animal. Tango really does look like Princess. their just beautiful. It was really nice to meet you guys today. Can't wait till the next time we get together. :P

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users