#1 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:48 PM

Well, they had their vet checks.

Tango's liver/kidney numbers: one went down to normal (due to the diet change), the other skyrocketed so they did a urine check today to see if her kidneys were failing. NOPE! YAY!! Normal test results. But that high number still means she has liver disease so they can't put her on pain medication for her joints because it could cause her liver to fail. They think she has arthritis. Sooo.... I gave her some of the Joint Maintenance stuff from Hartz to see if that would loosen up her joints. She is really dragging on our walks, although she did do much better today. We went on a 3 mile walk and she actually was able to jump back on to the floor of the car when we were done. So maybe that glucosamine stuff really works? Anyway, you could hear the joy and surprise in the vet's voice this morning when I told him she goes a minimum of 1.5 miles a day. He said, "you are doing everything right." Small consolation when I watch her struggle. :) I told him that if I sense her pain is too great, I will choose the pain meds over the liver because who cares if you live longer if you can't stand the pain?! ack!

Tiki, OTOH, is doing just fine but needs to lose about 4 pounds. Her eating is crazy as she steals food from Tango every time Tango turns around. So I cut back on her food yesterday and then later in the day we play a game with food nuggets so that she has to work to find them. She really loves the game!!! And in the time she could finish an entire bowl of dog food, she manages to find about 10 nuggets of food and is just as pleased with things. :) I also took her on an extra walk that Tango didn't get to go on because she wasn't up to it.

Well, that's the health update! Tiki gets her dental done tomorrow so hopefully that will be it for the YEAR! :D

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#2 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

Skitter (on the left in my pic) has DJD (degerative joint disease) and arthiritis in her back hocks so we know all about pain management!!! She is nearly 9 now and we have been actively dealing with this for nearly 3 years... I give her "Joint Health" from Springtime, Inc. THEY ARE WONDERFUL!!! I started her out on their "Fresh Factors" for about a year then upped her to the JH since I felt it had more protection for her. The best way to buy is get three bottles because when you purchase 2 you get the 3rd free!!!

Joint Health Pills

Oh, I almost forgot!!! We took x-rays last year and compared them to the "original" ones she was diagnosed from and there was no discernable difference or advancement of breakdown in her hocks!!!

I have recently been adding a coated baby aspirin to each meal to help with the pain/swelling. Bella keeps her pretty active so she is usually hurting now days but still pretty mobile and you know how they are, you can't keep them down!!!

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#3 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:48 PM

I have also, on occasion, used cold packs and hot packs wrapped around her joints. I purchased a soft elbow brace and took some of the stitching out so it "form fits" around her hock. We use that to protect her hock and keep it from swelling too much. Much easier to apply than an ace bandage but we've done that too!!!

Joni
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

#4 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

Well, they had their vet checks.

Tango's liver/kidney numbers:  one went down to normal (due to the diet change), the other skyrocketed so they did a urine check today to see if her kidneys were failing.  NOPE!  YAY!!  Normal test results.  But that high number still means she has liver disease so they can't put her on pain medication for her joints because it could cause her liver to fail.  They think she has arthritis.  Sooo.... I gave her some of the Joint Maintenance stuff from Hartz to see if that would loosen up her joints.  She is really dragging on our walks, although she did do much better today.  We went on a 3 mile walk and she actually was able to jump back on to the floor of the car when we were done.  So maybe that glucosamine stuff really works?  Anyway, you could hear the joy and surprise in the vet's voice this morning when I told him she goes a minimum of 1.5 miles a day.  He said, "you are doing everything right."  Small consolation when I watch her struggle.  :)  I told him that if I sense her pain is too great, I will choose the pain meds over the liver because who cares if you live longer if you can't stand the pain?!  ack!

Tiki, OTOH, is doing just fine but needs to lose about 4 pounds.  Her eating is crazy as she steals food from Tango every time Tango turns around.  So I cut back on her food yesterday and then later in the day we play a game with food nuggets so that she has to work to find them.  She really loves the game!!!  And in the time she could finish an entire bowl of dog food, she manages to find about 10 nuggets of food and is just as pleased with things. :)  I also took her on an extra walk that Tango didn't get to go on because she wasn't up to it.

Well, that's the health update!  Tiki gets her dental done tomorrow so hopefully that will be it for the YEAR!  :D

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jane, My little Cocoa (chow, shepherd, ?) has hip dysplasia which was undiagnosed until she was 6. She had a subluxation of her right patella (in lay persons language she dislocated her knee). My vet was going to surgically repair that and had her on the table, under anesthesia, and they xrayed her hips just to be sure there was nothing else more major happening, and you guessed it she had hip dysplasia. The knee surgery was cancelled because that was minor and it was probably her hips that made the knee injury noticable. My vet was shocked at how bad her hips were. He told me that he had never seen a dog with hips that terrible and was totally amazed that she could walk. She not only walks without a problem, but runs too. She has her days though. I have her on glycoflex III which has the chondroitin and the glucosamine and only costs me $40.00 for 3 months worth, instead of the $80 a month the vet was going to charge for the same medication. And you are right the anti-inflammatories are hard on the liver, so I searched the web and found an all-natural anti-inflammatory called Duralactin, which is made out of dried milk protein. And it has done wonders for Cocoa, and without the worry of liver problems.
The Duralactin costs 20.00 a month and it is so worth it. I order both of these meds online through Lambriar Vet. They are great, very reliable and dependable.
Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#5 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

Thanks you guys. It's nice to be able to get advice from people who have already tried things and been successful with it! I will definitely get her on some of these supplements when we are done with the Hartz bottle. She has so much heart, it just exceeds the strength of her body. :)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#6 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:58 PM

Jane -

Sorry to hear Tango is having such a rough go of it. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope the suggestions from the other Board members help her to become more comfortable.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#7 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:12 PM

I really appreciate that Linda. I hate it when my dogs are in pain. I'm sure the prayers will help. Thank you.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#8 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:31 PM

Jane

You both are in my prayers.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#9 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

Jane

You both are in my prayers.

Ella

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's really nice of you Ella, Thank You!!!!

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#10 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:41 AM

Jane,
My vet recommended using Glucosamine on Beej, when his joints would get a little stiff. SO...I'm glad that your girl is doing a little better, and you are SUCH a good mummy!!!
~Jen~

#11 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

Actually, Jen, I seem to be able to see a marked difference in just the two days. Maybe I'm imagining it, but she seems to have a little spring to her step. :) Of course she was stepping a little lighter today because we went on our walk alone. Tiki was getting her teeth cleaned and Tango was enjoying "her" special day. :D

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#12 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:06 AM

Actually, Jen, I seem to be able to see a marked difference in just the two days.  Maybe I'm imagining it, but she seems to have a little spring to her step

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They say that the glucosamine, etc has to build up but I know I feel it right away when I miss a day or two of my supplements!!! I also can tell in a few days if a new one is going to help or not so I'm sure she is feeling better quickly too!!! Even a little less pain/inflammation can make a big difference...

Skitter was really stiff last Sunday so I gave her "extra" aspirin... 2 instead of 1 baby aspirin and within 15 minutes she was running around again!!! Swelling up her joints but SHE was feeling better... She was saying, "We don't think about the later". :)

Joni

#13 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:26 AM

They say that the glucosamine, etc has to build up but I know I feel it right away when I miss a day or two of my supplements!!!  I also can tell in a few days if a new one is going to help or not so I'm sure she is feeling better quickly too!!!  Even a little less pain/inflammation can make a big difference...

Skitter was really stiff last Sunday so I gave her "extra" aspirin... 2 instead of 1 baby aspirin and within 15 minutes she was running around again!!! Swelling up her joints but SHE was feeling better... She was saying, "We don't think about the later".  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just had this conversation with one of the vets, Joni, and he said for arthritis pain he would prescribe 325mg aspirin twice a day, but that it would be bad for Tango's liver right now. :)

I agree with you. Less pain can make a tremendous difference! That's my goal for her. Less pain. She has been with me through some really terrible life experiences - laying her head on my chest when she would sense grief and sighing right along with me. I'll do anything in my power to keep her healthy and pain free! She deserves it! Sometimes I am just astounded at how much I can actually loves these animals. It's just amazing.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#14 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:24 PM

Jane -

I had forgotten about Ascriptin versus regular aspirin. Also, I used to give Greta alfalfa pills mixed in with her food. Just thought I'd throw that out there for what it's worth. And, there is always Ecotrin, as it dissolves in the intestine rather than the stomach. Greta had a very sensitive stomach, so the Maalox part of the Ascriptin spared her having an upset tummy.

I've used MSM for my joints, and because it's sulfa-based, you need to drink A LOT of water. I'm sure none of these are good for the liver. The old double-edged sword rears its ugly head. I hope you can hit on a good combination for her.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#15 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

I just had this conversation with one of the vets, Joni, and he said for arthritis pain he would prescribe 325mg aspirin twice a day, but that it would be bad for Tango's liver right now. :)

I agree with you.  Less pain can make a tremendous difference!  That's my goal for her.  Less pain.  She has been with me through some really terrible life experiences - laying her head on my chest when she would sense grief and sighing right along with me.  I'll do anything in my power to keep her healthy and pain free!  She deserves it!  Sometimes I am just astounded at how much I can actually loves these animals.  It's just amazing.

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jane, please try the duralactin, it's an anti-inflammatory, and it is equivalant to rimadyl. I feel so bad for your baby and you right now. If I can do anything please don't hesitate to ask. Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#16 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:05 PM

Jane, please try the duralactin, it's an anti-inflammatory, and it is equivalant to rimadyl.  I feel so bad for your baby and you right now.  If I can do anything please don't hesitate to ask.  Mary

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have your dog on BOTH duralactin AND glycoflex, Mary? Neither one hurts the liver? I saw that Arda likes the glycoflex too. Where are you getting these from?

Linda, I don't know if it's the MSM but I saw you work out at Arda's and it must be a wonder drug! You really worked your rear end off! I do remember awhile back a vet recommending alfalfa in a diet for dogs with arthritis.

Thanks for caring you guys. Tango thanks you too!

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#17 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

You have your dog on BOTH duralactin AND glycoflex, Mary?  Neither one hurts the liver?  I saw that Arda likes the glycoflex too.  Where are you getting these from?

Linda, I don't know if it's the MSM but I saw you work out at Arda's and it must be a wonder drug!  You really worked your rear end off!  I do remember awhile back a vet recommending alfalfa in a diet for dogs with arthritis.

Thanks for caring you guys.  Tango thanks you too!

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posted Image

This is a picture of my Cocoa. Yes, Cocoa is on both Glycoflex III and Duralactin. Neither one affects the liver and I get them at lambriarvet.com. It is the cheapest place that I have found, and they are ver reliable. mary

Stanley Coren

#18 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

Jane, I am so sorry to hear that Tango is having a rough time. We do really worry about them as much as kids-- only difference is kids are able to tell you what is wrong and what is helping. Cassie, our first dog--a dobe/shep, developed arthritis when she was about three due to hip dysplasia,. We felt one of the most helpful things with her was keeping her weight down. At 90# she was actually quite trim! She also loved to swim, and this form of gentle excercise really helped. Even if Tango is not a swimmer continuing walks, though not pushing her beyond her limits, would seem beneficial--just like they recommend with people. Cassie also enjoyed the packs that you warm in the microwave.

Although Cassie developed lameness very early in her life, it was manageable and she lived wonderful life. Oh, how I miss her. :)

#19 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:02 PM

Posted Image
This is a picture of my Cocoa.  Yes, Cocoa is on both Glycoflex III and Duralactin.  Neither one affects the liver and I get them at lambriarvet.com.  It is the cheapest place that I have found, and they are ver reliable.    mary

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, you have sold me on the products!!

Cocoa is a dollface! :D

Thanks Mary, I appreciate your caring very much. :)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#20 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:11 PM

Jane, I am so sorry to hear that Tango is having a rough time.  We do really worry about them as much as kids-- only difference is kids are able to tell you what is wrong and what is helping.  Cassie, our first dog--a dobe/shep, developed arthritis when she was about three due to hip dysplasia,.  We felt one of the most helpful things with her was keeping her weight down.  At 90# she was actually quite trim!  She also loved to swim, and this form of gentle excercise really helped.  Even if Tango is not a swimmer continuing walks, though not pushing her beyond her limits, would seem beneficial--just like they recommend with people.  Cassie also enjoyed the packs that you warm in the microwave.

Although Cassie developed lameness very early in her life, it was manageable and she lived wonderful life. Oh, how I miss her.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry about Cassie, Heather. :)
Thanks for sharing her story. I know it hurts to think about it.

Yes, I do believe that it is the exercise and diet that will be the number one thing in keeping her limber. She is getting so ... "let me sniff this mailbox, oh, stop, yes, right here, and that one over there too, so many messages, so little time." It's getting harder and harder to keep her going at a decent pace. But we try everyday. :D Every dog in the neighborhood gets a message from her every day. And if we are following a male down the street .... we even leave messages for people who don't have dogs! :D She has the mind of a two year old! Her mail delivery is what keeps her going on her long walks.

We do love them don't we.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users