139 replies to this topic

#1 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:22 PM

Bonnie , David , & David Jr. of Flushing came out today and walked and looked at many of the dogs but Karma stole their heart . Karma now will have a family to help her out of her shell . She never had a family life before and when she comes around she will give her family many years of happiness .
We wish them the best and please keep in touch !! Thankyou for giving her this chance .

Attached Files

Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#2 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

Congratulation's to Karma and her new home, she is a beautiful girl.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#3 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:25 PM

Congratulations on your new home and family Karma!

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#4 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

Congratulations Karma on your new home!
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#5 CathieRenee

CathieRenee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

Congratulations Karma! Love the name.

Cathie
Zeus - SCD Reigning Thunder, WAC, TT
Belle the Princess Cat
Casey - CTS Callisto's Eclipse, CGC, WAC, TT (05/14/96 - 02/15/07)

"Do not make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans or they will treat you like dogs." - Martha Scott

#6 dobermidwife

dobermidwife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

Warm wishes to Karma and her new family. I'm sure it won't take long for her to come out of her shell.

Lee Ann

HQ Back in Time of Phesika   "Griffin"

HQ Prevailing Grace   "Gracie"

Waiting at the Bridge:

Stadtwald's Boston Red Coat  "Cody" 

Aradeena Ruark's Lacey  "Lacey"

Logan & Lexi    littersmates

SCD Up-C-Dazy  "Dazy"

HMDD Brody 

SCD Bella

We can judge a heart of man according to his love for animals.~~Immanuel Kant

#7 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

Congratulation to Karma on your new forever home.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#8 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:24 AM

Congratulations to Karma on her new forever home!! :thumbsup:
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#9 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:28 AM

Congratulation Karma! She'll warm up real quick!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#10 Reidfamily

Reidfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:39 AM

Sky (formerly Karma) is a very shy little girl. It's clear she hasn't been out and about much as everything is very new to her. Though she is very curious and paces a lot she found her new bed right away and spent the rest of the evening napping, stretching, dreaming, smelling and has already started destroying her new soft toy. She still hasn't figured out what our cats are but she will.

We've yet to see her tail wag or to hear her voice but I'm sure that will come with time. Stay tuned.....

Bonnie

#11 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:00 AM

Sky (formerly Karma) is a very shy little girl. It's clear she hasn't been out and about much as everything is very new to her. Though she is very curious and paces a lot she found her new bed right away and spent the rest of the evening napping, stretching, dreaming, smelling and has already started destroying her new soft toy. She still hasn't figured out what our cats are but she will.

We've yet to see her tail wag or to hear her voice but I'm sure that will come with time. Stay tuned.....

Bonnie

Give her a week or so. Her true colors will start to show slowly and in a few weeks from now you will see a total difference. Our female did not have much socialization when she was young because she was sick when Arda got her. We have only had her a few months and she is coming along well - still a little shy at times with men. It won't be long before Sky is acting like herself!
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#12 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

She is a beautiful little girl. Congratulations Sky, and new family. :thumbsup:
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#13 Kiah's mom

Kiah's mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

Congrats!! She is a cutie! :thumbsup: We are not too far from you, so if you ever want to have a playdate let us know!

KC (Kiah's Companion) DOB 3-6-15

GD's Caught Red Handed Kiah WAC, CGC (RIP Ki-Ki 12-8-05 to 7-10-15) Doberman Princess

Chester-English Pointer (the world's worst bird dog) :-) (RIP Chester January 2001-October 16, 2014)

#14 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

Remember that Karma(Sky) was a 1 1/2 year old brood female. She has probably had 2 litters already. The 4 month olds we had in July was probably the first litter. Then the litter that went through the Total Pet Care when we picked her up was probably her 2nd litter. That's the only life she had till now. Every kind word and kind pat is her first. You have a new born pup that is 1 1/2 year old. She is going to make you the best pet you ever had. Watch her bloom. I wait for your posts.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#15 Reidfamily

Reidfamily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

Congrats!! She is a cutie! :thumbsup: We are not too far from you, so if you ever want to have a playdate let us know!

Sky is still pretty shy except when whe wants to be scratched. She likes to touch her hind end on your leg to get you to scratch her and lays her head in your lap to scratch behind her ears. She won't play no matter what we try and paces the house whining. I think she misses other dogs and is lonely for them. She ignores any toy we bring but bounces like a bunny on her leash just wanting to run full tilt and chase squirrels. She already knows which trees they live in and spots them right away.

We have an acre but no fence so she is confined to a leash when we take her out. We're thinking about an electric fence just so she can run. My brother has one and it works well for his dog (Chesapeake Bay Retriever) but his dog is quite high strung.

We think it would be good for her to have friends (her own pack). We will take her to my brothers soon to introduce her to his American Feist (the CBR will be too much for her I think) and my sister has a black lab that Sky will meet on the 15th. There are no dog parks by us so we are racking our brains on how to get her some room to run. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#16 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

There are no dog parks by us so we are racking our brains on how to get her some room to run. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You can use a long-line. they are typically 15 to 20 feet long and an open field or the park (that allows dogs) or even the baseball diamond at a school can be good open places. Start out with the usual 6 feet and then expand. I bring in the length and it drag behind me so am lengthening/shortening frequently.

Teach her ha command that means she is nearing the limit of the rope but she'll run it all out anyway at least once LOL... treat her every time she comes back by you and "checks in". after you can trust her recall, then you can let go of the long line and let her run...

this is how I used to work with the fosters and teach them recall and give them freedom and the illusion of being "free" and "off leash" without losing control of them...

Also tie some knots in the long line about 5 and 2 feet from the end... that way when the rope is sliding through your hands, you know how much line you have left... I also put my hand through the loop on the end so I can't drop the long line but beware of being jerked around if you give them the full length of line... I've pinched a nerve in my neck more than once that way... LOL

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#17 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

I take mine to the elementary school on weekends and on school vacations. The playgrounds are usually fenced with gates, so I shut the gate, take the leash off and let them run. Works pretty well. I try to do it early in the morning in case kids want to come and swing or other people want to do the same thing with their dogs. My Gracie is pretty snotty with other dogs, especially females, but if other dogs come, which is rare early in the morning, she seems to share the space pretty well and will even play with them. Coby is nevery a problem, he loves everyone.

#18 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

We have an acre but no fence so she is confined to a leash when we take her out. We're thinking about an electric fence just so she can run. My brother has one and it works well for his dog (Chesapeake Bay Retriever) but his dog is quite high strung.

I have one and although I already have a fenced-in yard, I got it to keep my dogs from destroying my newly landscaped yard. Your dog will be successful if you take the time to train them. My dogs learned almost immediately.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#19 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

We live in an area that does not have fences so we put in an electric one and love it. If you want advice or training tips on it's use don't hesitate to PM me...I'd be glad to talk you through it :thumbsup:
The dogs have 2 acres to enjoy now and it only cost me about $200.00 total doing it ourselves. Just think, then you could adopt another SCD dobe to help Sky come out of her shell ;) LOL!
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#20 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

We live in an area that does not have fences so we put in an electric one and love it. If you want advice or training tips on it's use don't hesitate to PM me...I'd be glad to talk you through it :thumbsup:
The dogs have 2 acres to enjoy now and it only cost me about $200.00 total doing it ourselves. Just think, then you could adopt another SCD dobe to help Sky come out of her shell ;) LOL!

Cuz' we all know that having 2 SCD dobies is better than one! :) They def. do enjoy the company!
-Woodrow Wilson
-Sigmund Freud

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users