• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DianaWelch

DianaWelch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

Guys, my dog is having a hard time climbing over our new Super Duty Pickup. Can you suggest something that might be helpful for him?

#2 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

Like getting in the pickup?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Like Stef, I'm a little bit confused by your question.  Where exactly does your dog ride in the truck?  It also might be helpful to know your dog's size, age, or any health/orthopedic issues that could have an effect.  What kind of vehicle did he ride in up to now?

Edited by Cheri, 22 May 2017 - 06:36 AM.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#4 DianaWelch

DianaWelch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

Sorry for the confusion guys. I meant he's having a hard time climbing in the pickup. I have a 6-year-old Doberman and it's a struggle for him whenever he needs to climb in.

#5 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

Are you thinking of something along the line of a ramp or steps?  There are a lot of them out there to choose from, different styles (telescoping, folding, etc.), in a variety of price ranges.  It's also possible to make your own.  Making sure the ramp will fit safely and securely onto the edge of the side door of a pickup would be a consideration.  I guess it also depends on if this is a crew cab with four full-size doors, or a super cab with the half-door in the back.

We have an older super cab that doesn't have the back door that opens, so to get in the back seat, you have to push the passenger side front seat all the way forward on a sliding track, and then the dog has to jump way up and behind the seat at the same time.  Our truck is 4WD, which makes it sit even higher than average.  The two dogs I have now do it with no problem, but years ago, we had a male Dobe who just would not do it, although he would put his front feet up, and then it was pretty simple to lift his back end up and give him a boost.

If this is your dog's first exposure to a pickup truck, and if he is healthy and has no orthopedic considerations, maybe it's just a matter of training him to do the jump up.  If he's not had occasion to do much jumping in his life, maybe he just doesn't understand what's expected.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#6 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

Cheri is right. There are lots of ramp options for cars and trucks. I have specifically taught the 'up' command for jumping up onto things. Kingston wasn't able to jump in but would stand up onto the bumper of my car and I would lift him in.

http://www.petsmart....amps-and-steps/
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#7 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Heck, I thought she meant "OVER the truck" and I only have one of 18 that can jump over the vehicle.  That's Bedlam.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#8 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

Hahahahahahah

#9 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Don't laugh.  You never meant her, or did you.  Maybe that's why I haven't seen you.  Most dogs we add up the vet bills on.  With Bedlam we add up the destroyed panties, bras, shoes, loaves of bread, and holes in other dogs.  Momma Meia, what a night mare.  I only hope and pray your new one is only half as bad.  Give me the hungry and lame and very old.  I do very well.  Not the kid that was put on this earth to bring me to my knees.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#10 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Diana, I'm curious to know if you're making any progress.  Have you come up with any workable solutions?

#11 DianaWelch

DianaWelch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

I think you're right, Cheri. A ramp is the best option for my dog's situation. I saw this Telescoping XL dog ramp when I was searching online.Not 100% sure it will work with my pickup though. What do you guys think? Appreciate it if you have suggestions. 

#12 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

I have to be honest and say that I've never had to use a ramp to get my dogs into vehicles (though both of my current ones are seniors, so that may happen soon).  The truck I mentioned earlier is not a vehicle I take the dogs in very often anymore.  They usually ride in my Explorer.

The only time I needed a ramp was for an older girl who needed help going up and down the deck stairs outside, and for that we just happened to have on hand a heavy aluminum wheelchair ramp that we used.  The Solvit telescoping ramp you linked looks well-made, I like the width of it, and it seems like it would be light enough to easily put it in and out of the bed of the truck when you take the dog somewhere.

The one thing I would want to be careful of -- and you seem to be thinking along the same lines -- is whether it will set securely on the side door of the truck without slipping off.  It seems like in the ads, those ramps are always shown going into the back of an SUV, not the side of a truck.  Maybe there's a customer service number you could call and inquire?

Also, be aware that your dog might be reluctant to use the ramp at first.  Like anything new, he may have to be patiently trained to use it.  I would start by putting it on something like one step of your porch or deck, so it sits at a very low angle, and get him used to it like that, only gradually increasing the height.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

#13 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

I have also only used a ramp for stairs outside and ours was an old barn door that was supported with car ramps underneath. We had to train Kingston to use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users